Denali Nat'l Park in winter?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROCKYSUMMIT

Reaction score
Anyone been to Denali NP in winter? Heading up to Alaska for the first time in February and looking for some day hikes in the area. Trying to fit in a day or two of semi long (short daylight) and maybe one or two days of scenic drives with the family. Not sure if the Park road is open or not. Any info would be great!

Hey Rockysummit, where in Alaska are you going to be? I can ask my friend about the park road, but it is going to be pretty dark up there in February, but it has to be really spectacular. Be very prepared...including having emergency supplies in your car on the Parks highway or perhaps the train, which must be a nice slow way to get to Denali from Anchorage, if it runs in the winter. I would imagine most of the park road (it is like 90 miles long) is closed and used for snowmobiles or skiers. There are some dayhikes close to the winter visitor center though...

Jay

Cool, haven't stayed in Fairbanks too much but that is the place that reminds me most about cabin fever and Alaska. It is a much different place than Los Anchorage. I didn't have much time for any sightseeing myself when I was there, I was very busy putting my bike together for my ride the only time I was there. You should go further north to the Brooks range in February!!!! :)

My friend from Anchorage just emailed me, the temps today are getting to -33degF after last weeks major snow in Talkeetna

Jay

Wow, major snow!...Just looked out my work window in Fairfield, NJ. It's snowing like crazy, ground is coated. Wonder how many minutes this will last.

ROCKYSUMMIT said:
Wow, major snow!...Just looked out my work window in Fairfield, NJ. It's snowing like crazy, ground is coated. Wonder how many minutes this will last.

Minutes is right...im in Pine Brook NJ right up the road...and its already done..... :-(

M

Yeah, it's snowing next door in Wayne too. Maybe I should go home and get my studded snow tires!?! :D

Shouldn't last long according to my weather radar though...

I just emailed my friend in Anchorage, see if she knows anything about the park in winter. She said they got 60" of snow the last week or so so they are seeing the winter conditions.

If you are in Fairbanks, you can drive out to North Pole, Alaska which is not far from all the Air Force Bases SE of fairbanks... (Eielson Air Force Base: http://www.eielson.af.mil/)

I remember biking by the AFB and seeing rows of F-16s on the tarmac, a pretty cool sight.

Jay

Some good info can be found here. The first couple of times you click you can view the article, then they want you to register.

"Winter Facilities in Denali

If you come to Denali in the winter, expect subfreezing temperatures, snowfall, and scaled-back park facilities: Buses stop running. Campgrounds close, except for Riley Creek, which remains open through the winter without running water. Naturalist activities end. Denali Park Road stays open to mile 29 until it''s closed by snow, usually mid- to late September."

I lived in Alaska for a few years, and if I remember right Fairbanks has an AWESOME ice sculpture contest in February, no kidding it is UNBELIEVABLE!! Also, the museum at the University in Fairbanks is definately worth going, they have a lot of info on Native Alaskan culture and clothing and a really interesting display on the Aurora Borealis. (Northern Lights to us Yankees)
Have fun, I love Alaska in the winter. OH! You should hit Circle Hot springs too, very fun, and not too far from Fairbanks.

If I remember correctly the Park road is closed in the winter just pass the visitors center. The Aurora Borealis will make up for the short days. You have to drive above the Ice Fog to see them. There are a couple of good places for that. For a nice drive you can drive down towards Paxson on the Richardson Highway it takes you by Black Rapids Glacier and Mount Hayes. A mostly unseen part of the Alaskan Range(it is where the Army conducts cold weather and mountaineering training).You can also drive towards Cheena Hot springs. It is an OK facility with excellent Northern Lights veiwing. To the north of Fairbanks you can drive thru the White mountains(yes Alaska has them also)The are rounded and not jagged like the rest of mountains in Alaska. When you drive to Denali I would suggest to drive past the Pask and drive thru the state park south on the George Parks highway. It is about 30 miles south but has excellent views. There is an awesome overlook of Denali in the State park. I am not sure of the dayhikes around Fairbanks as I am from Anchorage but there are some good ones at Byers lake in Denali State Park. One thing to be careful of is gas. Most of the gas stations south of Fairbanks close for the season. Also be prepared for minus 20 to 30 degrees. Have fun.

Don't listen to Ketch-Up as he is FOS!

He handcuffed me and stapled salmon to me at the Denali State Park....Wait that was Mom..never mind.

He is going to get some real winter by coming to Maine.

I'm kind of jealous of you Rockysummit, as I want to see some great Northern lights.

It's all sounding so good! I'm staying in Fairbanks but have no problem traveling to the southern end of the park (depending on gas and weather). I plan on taking tons of pictures. Guess I'll be setting up on webshots and spending quite some time on the computer when we return. Thanks!

Have fun Tony and congrats to the family! Can't wait to see the pics...oh wait your still owe us pics from 2006!

Hey David, thanks. I guess you're right about the pics of the past. Of the near 5,000 shots I took in the past year or so, well there should be a few that I should have shared. I gotta make the time and set them up. Definately when I get back!
-Tony

There is a gas station in Cantwell that stays open year round. But chips cost about $5.00 a bag!!!! :rolleyes:

Call Denali Nat'l Park before you head down there. Generally speaking, the road isn't open very far at all in the winter. In the summer you can only drive the first 16 miles of the road into the park; if you want to go further you need to get a bus ticket (DO NOT get the tour bus<brown>, take the SHUTTLE bus<green>).

The road from F'banks to Denali can be tough in winter due to blowing snow, and as you get closer to Denali, drifting snow. You could potentially get very very close to the park entrance and then have to stop because of avalanche danger in the narrow passage that the road takes through there.

The hike up Mt. Healy is nice, good views, and accessible from outside the park.

Although Fairbanks doesn't have a large population, it is spread out. There isn't much to the Downtown area, but I suggest you stop in at the APLIC (Alaska Public Lands Information Center) and ask about Denali and local hiking information. APLIC is on Cushman Street (Federal Courthouse). The University Museum has been recently remodeled (and it's not done yet) but is definitely worth a visit. The University is up on a hill overlooking the city. Chena Hot Springs is about 60 miles one way from Fairbanks (there's only one way there and back!) ... there are a number of things to do there, including spending some time in the hot springs themselves. It's quite an experience to sit in that hot water in below zero weather ... your skin is toasty while icicles form in your hair. You could snowshoe/hike up Angel Rocks or, for a longer hike, go to the Granite Tors. There are limited facilities on the Chena Hot Springs Road too (and subject to flooding in periods of high water).

If you're renting a car, then you may not be able to drive to the Whites ... most of the gravel/dirt roads are off-limits per your rental contract. Check to make sure where you can and cannot go (more of an issue in the summer).

Fairbanks experiences a lot of ice fog (smog) during the winter, so be prepared for that. Once you get out of the bowl that Fairbanks sits in, you're okay. Get directions for Chena Dome, and drive up there ... good views of the valley and the city.

Paxson is a good drive from Fairbanks and you go through a lot of "nothing" between "towns".

The Alaska DOT does not use salt on the highways ... they use sand and gravel. So be careful, don't follow too closely or you're going to end up with a cracked windshield (and then you're a real Alaskan!).

Check out Creamer's Field in Fairbanks ... good spot to go xcountry skiing, or skijouring if you've got a dog or two!

There are several good restaurants in Fairbanks ... you might want to check out the Sunday brunch at Pike's (held only in winter for the locals). Or grab a burger at the Chena Pump House.

The folks at Beaver Sports in Fairbanks might also have some information about local hiking/snowshoeing, etc.

It was -44 on Tuesday in Fairbanks, now it's 7 above. Heat wave!!

kwc said:
The Alaska DOT does not use salt on the highways ... they use sand and gravel. So be careful, don't follow too closely or you're going to end up with a cracked windshield (and then you're a real Alaskan!).

:) Ahh, that explains a lot! I gather it is just so cold for most of the winter that the road salt isn't too effective? My Subaru right now would fit right in there since I have a large crack in it from some kind of rock last winter.

Jay

We went to Chena hot springs while visiting my sister this past summer. The rock pool is fantastic. However, apparently they get a lot of Japenese tourists up there in winter. They say a child concieved under the northern lights is lucky...

The road to Denali may be bad in winter. However, we had a different experience in June. There was a forest fire burning very close to Nenana, about half way between Fairbanks and the park, and we had to drive through it. Fire on both sides of the road, fire crews everywhere.