Dickerman report on FTFC annual meeting

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabberwalk

Reaction score
I've been looking in the local weekly, Record Enterprise, for the article Mike Dickerman usually submits, including annual statistics for the various peak bagging lists. I always love hearing how many of our 4 legged friends managed to complete the 4's in winter! Has anyone seen such an article? I must have missed it. :confused:

I'm a bit confused by this one. I assume you are talking about the Four thousand footer committee and dogs. Brutus is the only dog to have been recognized for doing the 48 in the winter. Since Brutus did it the committee for its own reasons has decided that it is not safe for dogs to hike in the winter and will not award them a winter certificate.

Three all season scrolls were given to dogs this year. Interestingly, it was mentioned that they were the 97th, 98th and 99th dogs to have received the reward. Lauky was number 98.

in his "beaten path" column (which down here in southeastern, nh appears in fosters daily democrat on sundays) last week he devoted much of it to talking about the new totals for various finishers of the amc lists. don't recall the numbers off the top of my head, but did mention dogs. i'd think that column would be available online somewhere?.....
take it easy.

bryan

Foster's usually archives my columns on their website. Unfortunately, my article on the recent 4000-Footer club meeting isn't archived yet.

FYI, The Record Enterprise stopped running my column a year ago due to budget cuts by the publisher, Salmon Press. The column still runs in The Courier of Littleton, but only on a bi-weekly basis (as opposed to the former weekly basis), and they are available online only to subscribers of the paper.

Foster's usually archives my columns on their website. Unfortunately, my article on the recent 4000-Footer club meeting isn't archived yet.

FYI, The Record Enterprise stopped running my column a year ago due to budget cuts by the publisher, Salmon Press.

I am sorry to hear about the cuts at Salmon Press. I thought I had just missed the weeks that Off the Beaten Track was printed. A loss for the paper and the public. Thanks for the info on Fosters - I take a look there.

Yes, correct. I was referring to the dinner at the end of April. Next year will fun some some dog being #100 on the list.:D

Yes, I was actually quite surprised at how relatively few dogs have completed the 48. It would also be interesting to know how many have "completed" the NEHH. The committee won't recognize dogs on this one because they aren't allowed to do the peaks in Baxter Park. For that reason no applications are accepted for dogs for the NE 4000 or for the NEHH so there are no records.

I did find a bit of a loop hole though. A scroll for the NEHH was presented to a certain Ed "Duffy" Boon who it appears took on a new nickname for the occasion. :D

Yes, I was actually quite surprised at how relatively few dogs have completed the 48.
An old column by either Guy Waterman or Daniel Ford quoted a 4k chairman from the '70s as stating that his predecessor didn't count dogs so any totals are incomplete.
I did find a bit of a loop hole though. A scroll for the NEHH was presented to a certain Ed "Duffy" Boon who it appears took on a new nickname for the occasion. :D
There was a dog who had enough ascents to qualify for the American Alpine Club, but the secretary became suspicious that he would have known any human with that many ascents and quashed the bogus application.

Yes, I was actually quite surprised at how relatively few dogs have completed the 48.

Sorry to be late to the party but I just saw this thread.

Ed, I would imagine there are a lot more than that. I know of several dogs (including one I live with) who never bothered to apply for membership in the 4,000-Footer Club.

It was there when I posted it ... but now it seems to be gone. :confused:

It was still there about an hour after you posted it - glad I read it then. The one fact that struck me is that NH48 finishers (2-legged) are down about 33% - c. 200 per year this year, like last, vs. c. 300 per, through the '07 meeting and a couple before that. The author speculated that the higher price of gas might be the cause, but I wonder if it's only that.