Digital camera memory card

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way ... my Canon S320 keeps a running count of the estimated number of pictures remaining. This number displays in the lower-right corner of the LCD - use the "Disp" button if you don't see it.

I know there's a way to make it momentarily appear if you have the LCD turned off, but don't remember. I just press "Menu" or "Set" twice and then the information remains on screen briefly before disappearing.

audrey said:
I finally got a digital camera (Olympus Camedia C-765) which came with a measly 16 mb card, so I bought a 256 mb card too.

Now, I'm trying to calculate how many pictures I can expect to get on the big card. I've been playing with the 16 mb card and first got 12 pictures before the "card full" message. I erased 6 of them and got 12 more for a total of 18. I was in the high quality mode all the time and used flash half the time if that makes any difference.

Is that unusual? How do you calculate capacity? I guess I have to keep playing and see if the count stays consistent. I want to make sure I pace myself through a 12-day Grand Canyon trip.

Audrey

I just looked for your camera at Steve's Digicams . It's not there, but they had a review of the previous model, the C-750. It's got a standard display of the picture capacity which is calculated by the camera itself, based on what your card size is and the camera settings.

BTW, I've also got a Canon S400 -- looks like it's almost the 'official' VFTT camera, like the Subaru Outback is the official car!

Mark

I'm no expert on this, but . . .

The newspaper I shoot for supplies Nikon D1H camera kits, with 128 MB memory cards. I think the D1H uses about a 2.7 megapixel sensor. We usually shoot in JPG format at a “normal” (mid range) quality level. I’ve seen numerous glossy 11” x 14” prints from these images that I would rate as very good to excellent in terms of quality, and have seen 16” x 20” prints from these files that also would rate as very good from normal viewing distances. A lot depends on the ISO rating used while shooting -- as with film, the general rule is that image quality declines as ISO increases.

Anyway, the 128 MB memory cards in our system each will hold about 180 - 200 images, in my experience. That is the equivalent of about 5 rolls of 36-exposure 35 mm film.

I always carry a least two of the 128 MB cards on assignments (mainly, I shoot sports), but seldom have to use more than one per event. That may be due to the image preview and delete functions. The bigger issue I’ve run into with digital cameras is battery performance, which also may be due to the image preview function, which is a juice eater.

I would guess that the link posted above by KWC gives a pretty good starting point to estimate your needs based on your camera’s specifications.

G.

Last edited: