Do those in ME have a sense of humor?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why wasn't Jesus Christ born in maine?

they couldn't find three wise men or a virgin here.

maine - the way life should be!

teejay said:
I could bring my collection of "Bert and I" records to the Maine gathering if there's a record player (a what?) available.

teejay

I was fortunate enough to see the person who did the Bert and I records perform in the mid 70's at UVM. I can't recall his name, I think it was Dodge, but he was killed in a bike accident in Hawaii if my memory is correct. Anyway, he would come on stage with a 3 foot stack of hats and put a different one one for each story depending upon what the story was about. Great show.

Stan,

It's been a while since I listened and I don't remember that whole story, but I've got it somewhere.

A couple of wily counterfeiters from the big city decided to run off a bunch of bogus eighteen dollar bills which they could they could then pass off on the unsuspecting locals out in the sticks. They headed up into Maine and went into a little country store. The owner greeted them." Help you fellas?" he asked.

"Yes," they said. "Would you have change for an eighteen dollar bill?"

The owner opened the till and replied, "Well, yayas, Oi believe,Oi do. Ya want three sixes or two noines?"

Stan said:
Two hot air balloonists get disoriented floating across Maine and yell down to a farmer mowing his hay, "Where the hell are we?"

"Yer in a balloon ya damn fools!"

Need some help from Bert and Teejay on this one but there's one story about a couple of lost tourists giving a farmer a hard time over their frustration with Maine roads and the stupidity of his directions and finally the punchline, "Well, I ain't the ones that's lost!"

:D :D

Stan,

The story of the ballonists is from BERT AND I by Marshall Dodge and his partner, who recorded these stories.
The joke was- "Where are we?" asks one rider of the ballon. "Your in a ballon yeh damn fool!" replies the other. The story goes that they won a raffle in riding in a ballon at a county fair.

Ridgewalker said:
You can't get thar frum here

While I've heard this many times about Maine, in Alaska, it's literally true. There are lots of places you simply can not drive to, but if you can actually get to those places (by plane or boat), they have plenty of roads! :D

A lost tourist pulls into a gas station,

Do you know how far to Poarland?

The attendant looks and replies,

About 30,000 miles the direction you are heading. :D :D :D

Rugger said:
I was fortunate enough to see the person who did the Bert and I records perform in the mid 70's at UVM. I can't recall his name, I think it was Dodge, but he was killed in a bike accident in Hawaii if my memory is correct. Anyway, he would come on stage with a 3 foot stack of hats and put a different one one for each story depending upon what the story was about. Great show.

Marshall Dodge and Robert Bryan, see this website: http://www.shermans.com/Humor/

My friend Ray, who just joined VFTT, knew Mr. Marshall very well or of him when he went to Yale. You are correct that Marshall died in Hawaii in a bike crash.