Doug Paul injured in a back-country ski accident

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
darren said:
Yah, the recovery will end someday. Well, I don't really know that from personal experience, but sherpa keeps telling me that anyway... ;)
That's the theory, only time will show how practice works out...

Hopefully SK is right, but I could be biased...

Doug

WhiteMTHike said:
Doug,

Best wishes to you on your recovery. I will always be thankful to you for your posts giving me advice when I first bought my GPS, you a true expert with that device.
Glad I could help--I may be relatively knowledgable in the context of hiking use of consumer GPSes, but I am only an interested novice in the context of surveying class usage and techniques.

I hope you are back on the trails ASAP.
Thanks--It will be a while, but I usually avoid black fly season anyway...

Doug

Traveling with Doug Paul a couple weeks ago to Darren's surprise party, I learned some details about his injuries and came to admire his response to such an adverse and unexpected event.

First, his perseverance in picking himself up, adapting to the interim condition and dealing with the needed therapy notwithstanding the pain and inconvenience of these things.

Second, his healthy balance of trust in and skepticism of his medical providers and his innate curiosity and willingness to learn the physiology of his injuries and what it means to his recovery. (No surprise there, hey folks!)

Third, his positive attitude and optimism that in time he will resume the activities that he loves so much.

Doug and the other resident gimps here have been climbing a mountain most of us hope to never hike but by their examples have marked the trail. Heal well, all.

Stan said:
Doug and the other resident gimps here have been climbing a mountain most of us hope to never hike but by their examples have marked the trail. Heal well, all.

Indeed!! Great post Stan. I think we all realize that we are all just a step, hop, or glance away from the injuries you have received. You all have my admiration and best wishes for continued healing and recovery.

Status update #3

May 1

"My" thread was sinking too low in the trip reports so I figured that I should add something to get back near the top... :)

Just had a visit to the docs yesterday and have some good news.

I'll start with an updated version of the log for context (I don't expect anybody to remember the details) and then fill in the new events.

Log:
* Day 0: Crash. Injuries: femoral neck fracture, distal femur fracture (just above the knee), wrist fracture, all on the left side.
* Day 0: transported to Speare Memorial Hospital in Plymouth, NH
* Day 1: operation (#1) on femoral neck (stabilized with 2 screws) and operation (#2) on distal femur (pin placed in femur)
* Day 4: wrist cast
* Day 5: released to my home in fairly good shape
* Day 10: knee starts swelling, painful, limited flexibility. Eventually a bump forms on the side...
* Day 16: Cause of knee problem found--a screw securing the femoral pin is backing itself out
* Day 17: operation (#3) on wrist to install plate and remove errant screw
* Day 24: operation (#4): Pin in femur replaced
* Day 28: released
* Day 43: brace removed from wrist

The last update was on day 50, today is day 79. During much of this time, I was doing home PT, etc. I also figured out how to get down the front porch stairs on my own (crab walking/sitting using 1 foot, 1 hand, one arm, and my tail ) so I could get out to my mailbox on my own...

Yesterday (day 78), I saw both the wrist and leg docs. The results are:

Wrist:
* Cleared for no force limitations.
* The range of motion and strength are still less than normal, but both should improve in time with a bit of stretching, exercise, and normal use.
* Have good use of the hand.
* No PT planned.
* Will probably take a year or so to become completely normal.

Leg:
* The bone is healing well--I was cleared to put full weight on leg.
* Range of mortion in the hip is good, strength varies with direction of movement.
* Range of motion of knee is very limited, quads still rather weak.
* I can put most, but not quite all of my weight on the leg, this should improve shortly and I hope to be walking (slowly) soon.
* Still using the walker, but I can also use crutches at least for short distances. Can't use a cane yet.
* Starting outpatient PT soon.
* Arthroscopic surgery to break up the scar tissue in the knee may be needed.

So, all in all, some good progress but still more to do.

Thanks again to all who have given me a hand.

Doug

PS. If anyone is interested in the the technicalities, I found an online orthopaedic textbook which I found very helpful. Here are some URLs:
Femoral shaft fracture menu:
http://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/femoral_shaft_fracture
Distal femoral shaft fractures:
http://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/distal_femoral_shaft_fractures
Retrograde nailing of femoral shaft fractures:
http://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/retrograde_nailing_of_femoral_shaft_frx
Intra-articular retrograde nail insertion for femoral fractures:
http://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/intra_articular_retrograde_nail_insertion_for_femoral_frx

(I'm having trouble finding the reference for the work that was done on the femoral neck fracture--two parallel screws were used to reduce the fracture. I'll edit in a better URL later. )
For the moment, here is the index page:
Fractures of the femoral neck
http://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/fractures_of_the_femoral_neck

Last edited:
Hey Doug Paul sorry to hear aboout you injuries . I know about neck injuires too well . it really hurts .
Be real carful with surgery . I have a neck injury and instead of this becomeing a medical thread you can email me I am more than happy to talk with you about my experinces with injuries and surgry
take care of your self and stay intouch with us . .
I know thefeeling it sucks once again feel free to write me . I feel more comfroatable talking off list about medical stuff anyways
Rick

RGF1 said:
Hey Doug Paul sorry to hear aboout you injuries . I know about neck injuires too well . it really hurts .
Be real carful with surgery . I have a neck injury and instead of this becomeing a medical thread you can email me I am more than happy to talk with you about my experinces with injuries and surgry
take care of your self and stay intouch with us . .
I know thefeeling it sucks once again feel free to write me . I feel more comfroatable talking off list about medical stuff anyways
Rick
That was femoral neck, as in part of the hip. Of the two, I'll take a femoral neck injury to a neck (as in part of the spine) injury. My mother had a broken neck when she was in her teens--they didn't think that she would last the night. (She is still alive.)

I knew you had some serious injuries, but didn't know what they were--good luck with them.

Thanks,

Doug

Glad to hear your recovery is going well. I was thinking about you when I did the Kanc Brook loop a few weeks ago with some Waterville people. Hope next winter we'll see you on the trails.
Skibones

SherpaKroto said:
Doug,
Knowing the time you've had on your hands I can only imagine the ideas you've come up with!
Nah! Too busy daydreaming about hiking and skiing...

It will be good to see you out there very soon. Keep up the good work!
Just a step or two on a very long road. It will be a while...

Doug

Some progress

Bump, I mean... :)

Just thought some of you might be interested that I am now able to walk slowly with the aid of a cane. Managed to do 2.4mi on a local paved rail-to-trail bikepath in 1.3hrs. 1.9mph won't break any records, but it is progress.

My knee flexibility is still inadequate and we are working on it in PT.

Doug

edit: the above 1.9mph was about a week and a half ago. Just did the same walk at 2.4mph. You trail runners better watch your backs--I'm coming after you... :)

Last edited:
Great news, Doug. Keep up the progress.

You too, Sherp.

And Darren.

And Bubba.

Hey, that's enough. No more injuries, OK folks?!?!?

DougPaul said:
Bump, I mean... :)

Just thought some of you might be interested that I am now able to walk slowly with the aid of a cane. Managed to do 2.4mi on a local paved rail-to-trail bikepath in 1.3hrs. 1.9mph won't break any records, but it is progress.

My knee flexibility is still inadequate and we are working on it in PT.

Doug

Keep up the progress... we'll get you up the Precipice trail in Acadia,this coming October at this rate! Good Luck and take care.