Edmund's Path and Crawford Path, June 8

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
Beautiful day! Edmund's Path needs some attention for many blowdowns. The side paths happened real fast on this busy trail.

Flowers now in bloom along this trail include bluebead lilly, bunchberry, rose twisted stalk and this, which I can't ID...

crawfordpath60808224.jpg

The closest I can find is kidney-leaf buttercup. The flower looks right, but the leaves and habitat do not.

Also unknown is this...

bigdaddy-1.jpg

bluebead lilly...

crawfordpath60808-1.jpg

foam flower and ferns...

crawfordpath60808.jpg

This pileated woodpecker was on the ground, pecking into the dirt. He might have been working the roots of the tree.

crawfordpath60808-9.jpg

On the way up I heard winter wrens, blackpole warblers, darkeyed juncos, hermit thrush, wood thrush(I think), Swainson's thrush, whitethroated sparrows. It was a symphony!

Up on the ridge, the wind was strong and welcome as I changed into dry socks, shirt and skivies. Refreshed, I headed north along the ridge. Here's a view of the summit of Mt. Eisenhower...

crawfordpath60808-12.jpg

Lots of lapland rosebay and diapensia is now in bloom...

crawfordpath60808-3.jpg

continued...

I met Kate, the very nice caretaker at Mizpah Hut. She said she heard Bicknell's Thrush over on Mt. Jackson.

Here's a view south from just below the high plateau, south of Mt. Franklin...

crawfordpath60808-11.jpg

and a view north from the plateau...

crawfordpath60808-8.jpg

a view southeast from the slope of Mt. Franklin...

crawfordpath60808-7.jpg

Uh-oh...I forgot the sunblock and it's starting to tingle. After a nice nap on Mt. Franklin, I hiked over Little Monroe and Mt. Monroe. Beautiful views everywhere.

crawfordpath60808-6.jpg

Some youths were sliding on saucers down a small patch of snow over in an area that is closed to all entry. I wondered how they got over there without trampling on alpine flora because there were no rocks. I wondered how they missed the signs forbidding enrty. I watched as they walked around on the mats of sedges and flowers and I could hear the dry crunch. They were "whoohooing" so loud they got lots of looks. I cringed and considered going down to the LOC hut to report it. I hiked down to the Crawford Path and decided against reporting them at the hut, and just hiked south. I was shooting some nice alpine azaleas when I noticed them walking out toward the path, right toward the "no entry" signs. Then I noticed they weren't carrying snow saucers, they were cooking pots and pans. It was the AMC hut crew. Unbeleivable. I'll report to FS instead. (This is just a TR. Please, no drift to this topic on this thread.)

This azalea was in a safer place, next to the trail...

crawfordpath60808-4.jpg

A welcomed cloudcover eventually overspread the area as I sloooooooooowly made my way back toward Edmund's Path.

crawfordpath60808-2.jpg

Reluctantly, I started down from the ridge, but I was pleasantly surprised to hear two Bicknell's Thrushes at a point where a large cascade crosses the trail, a few hundred yards below the ridge. I heard them call and sing repeatedly for about five minutes, just downslope from the trail. That was exciting! I'm happy to know that I could ID this bird without any doubt. It was a wonderful way to finish the hike.

Driving home over Bear Notch to the Kancamagus, I saw Big Daddy again ( a moose that I've seen over the years). He had a lean winter, but he has already beefed up since I saw him two weeks ago.

bigdaddy.jpg

Another wonderful day of summer hiking!!!

happy trails :)

You take more good photos in a single day than I do in a month! Great trip report!

Jealous on that pileated woodpecker photo. Really F'ing jealous.

Amazing pictures. I am continuously floored.

-Dr. Wu

Appreciate the feedback very much; happy to share!

MattC, thanks for the ID and the link.

happy trails :)

dr_wu002 said:
Jealous on that pileated woodpecker photo.
-Dr. Wu

I'm glad to see more too. In the past 3 years I've seen 6, this year already I've seen 8.