"Essential" Adventure Documentaries?????

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Doug for the name correction. I always get that one wrong, for some reason. :eek: John Viehman is now publisher for DownEast Magazine, but I don't know what Annie Getchell is doing. Kevin - Peter Whitaker's description (and visual) of the Rest Step has been a big help to me, too. I wonder if he was over-exagerating his leaning forward or if he really does it that way?

While they are not adventure movies, do any of you remember the TV series on public television called "Trailside" and later "Anything Wild" -- Brian and I have many of the videos they produced and find they give a good sense of a lot of different adventures. My favorite was of climbing the Grand Teton. They also covered back country skiing, kayaking/canoeing, bicycling.

Trailside : Make Your Own Adventure
is what it was called.

First airing on PBS, in 1993.
Host, John Viehman ( editor of backpacker magazine ) Hosted this show for 2 seasons. It was good.
3rd. season; Peter Whittaker was introduced, and the show was even better. ( because he knew what he was doing ) Ownership and corporate crap funneled in. The shows split. Viehman started " Anyplace Wild ", And Whittaker continued with trailside. Eventually, they both just fizzeld-out.

Trailside was one of my favorite shows.
It used to air on a early sunday afternoons, so I'm not surprised if you missed it.
I used to tape it, and must have at least 20 shows.

Show's that stand out to me-

Hiking in the white's ( Joe Lentini Leads Viehman up Adams )
Rock climbing " owl's Head " in the ADK's
Road biking across vermont
Hiking the AT
Hiking Rainier
New Zealand, Milford trac
Kayaking around Manhattan & Great Barrier Reef
Hiking Grand Teton
Slot Canyon hiking in Utah

The Show Kevin refers to, does star Annie Getchell
It was a 2 part. Up Bolivia's Huayna Potosi

I too, learned how how to rest step. And use it all the time.:)

Last edited: