Etiquette of "Please take my picture"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the time I was ready to leave they were still seated. It seemed to me to be intrusive to interrupt their conversation and ask one of them to get up to take my picture.

I would have felt the same as you did, like they were enjoying their rest and although they might not mind getting up to take my picture, I would feel better by letting them enjoy their rest.

How would others have dealt with this "problem"?
If I had wanted a photo I would have asked, the worst they can do is say no. Of course, I'm always willing to take someone else's photo so I don't see it as an imposition.

A few years ago, I climbed Moriah on a windy day and maybe .1 miles down found 2 guys who had summitted before me taking a break out of the wind. One asked me if I'd take a photo of them both. I asked if they'd rather have it on the summit and they said yes so we all went back up into the wind.

Perhaps 25 years ago (before digital photos and e-mail), I asked a couple to take our photo and they said yes. I offered to take theirs and when then didn't have a camera took it on mine and mailed it (a slide) to them, leaving off return address to avoid compensation issues.

Bringing a tripod is another option. I've done it two or three times while hiking solo when I knew I wouldn't see anybody on the trail and I wanted a decent summit shot.

A gorillapod is another option, but there's not always a good place to set that up.

I would never mind if someone interrupted my conversation, or my quiet, with a request for me to take their picture.

I don't consider it rude in the slightest to ask for something like that -- I actually feel bad afterward if I see a solo hiker on the summit and realize I forgot to ask if they'd like me to take their picture.

I also have no problems taking pictures with my own camera, and then sending them via email to the hiker who forgot/lost their camera.

I agree - just ask.

Here's one of my favorite pictures, taken when I asked for someone to take my photo at the summit. It's not what I expected, but fun.

Last edited:
I never ask people to take my picture. I hate having my picture taken because quite frankly I simply do not like the way I look and have no problem admitting that I am ugly as sin. However, when someone approaches me at the summit and asks me to take their picture I always oblige. I am almost always I'm asked if I want my picture taken and I politely refuse. But I never mind taking pics of others.

rude? naw...

it's sort of expected when other folks are around, that you all wish to capture the glory of the mountains if you can...

I myself prefer to climb mountains where the option doesn't exist, due to the lack of other humans!:cool: