Everest: Beryond the limits (second season)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is from Greg Child's blog on the season, which I think sums up my points;

"My opinion? These folks are clients, not climbers. They don't have resumes that include years of climbing expeditions on which they've fended for themselves and climbed mountains under their own steam — leading the way, fixing ropes, setting up their own camps. All of this is done for them on Everest.

Here, they've paid their way into an elite guiding operation that will give them the support they need to have a chance to realize their dream of getting to the top of Everest. But they must be able to get up and down the mountain under their own power and be able to safely cope with the technical climbing challenges ahead of them.

The fascinating thing about this expedition — and one of the reasons that a Discovery film team and blog are covering their exploits — is that this is a group of everyday people who have chosen to take on the biggest challenge of their lives. They'll be examined closely by their guides before being allowed to attempt the summit, because this is no picnic — it's a journey into the Death Zone."

EVER EVER REST REST REST... ;) Are they doing that this year ? I don't remember hearing it.

I didn't hear it in the 15ish minutes I was watching..., maybe that's why I don't seem interested that much other than as a passing phase and there's nothing else interesting on TV anyway.

Jay

una_dogger said:
The skinny chick had to get a crampon lesson at 21, 000 feet? J$#@* friggin Christ!...

Ummm...Jesus is not a swear word, so I'm not sure why you did the little encoding thingy with his name. But using that three-word phrase J-F-C is incredibly offensive.

I agree with you about the crampon thing. 21,000 feet is not the place to learn the basics. But I guess it makes for great drama.

dvbl said:
Ummm...Jesus is not a swear word, so I'm not sure why you did the little encoding thingy with his name. But using that three-word phrase J-F-C is incredibly offensive.

I agree with you about the crampon thing. 21,000 feet is not the place to learn the basics. But I guess it makes for great drama.

Sorry -- didn't mean to offend. I'll edit that now.
:(

una_dogger said:
The skinny chick had to get a crampon lesson at 21, 000 feet? <edit>Unbelievable! :eek:
This show..I don't know...I'm still processing my disgust at this moment....the only thing that can downgrade Everest and the determination of those who train hard and make sacrifices to attempt it are these jokers who've they've chosen to front a free ride too.

:mad:
Years ago I found my first book "Everest the West Ridge" by Hornbein. I subsequently bought and read lots of books on Ever-rest, K2, Parbat, etc.
I have not seen this first episode yet but will this weekend. I cannot believe the disrespect these people have for the mountain. Who in their right mind would allow someone to go this high on a Himalayan peak who had never practiced with crampons, if for no other reason than liability. What is with the leadership??? :mad:
From what I read there were always problems on these climbs but it was very difficult, try as they might, to find a completely cohesive group. The leader made all the tough decisions and you were not accepted on a climb unless you could prove yourself both physically and mentally competent to attempt such a feat.
I did not enjoy the last series and I doubt I will like this one any better.

This seasons's EBTL seems very reality-showish. The narrator spends a lot of time talking about how ill-prepared or slow some of the climbers are. It's like- let's bring a bunch of people who don't really know what they're doing to the highest mountian and see what happends. Throw in some big egos, an annoying woman, lots of iPods, altitude, and see if we get some drama. That seems sorta irresponsible on the part of the discovery channel. The other reality shows are all in 'relatively' safe locations where they can focus on the drama without compromising their safety.

The whole, testing everyone out for summit teams, being watched, evaluated, and battling big egos seems like a rescipe for drama and disaster. Although, things must not have gone too terribly wrong or the show wouldn't be on.

Not too mention that any little stumble could be

accute mountain sickness, pulmonary edema, or cerebral edema (increasing dramatic narration)

My suspicion is that there are two groups under Brice -- one of real climbers who are experienced and one of clowns for TV.

I'm not sure what Mogens is doing in the clown group.

The cast/plot is definitely formulaic reality -- including that annoying woman. Trump's Apprentice seemed to have that every season. Same with Survivor. Clearly the 5 hour time limit is not really a hard and fast rule if Betsy missed it by 50%.

I'm nowhere near as enthralled as the 1st season, and based on the participation in this thread I'm guessing I'm not alone.

Keep in mind that even the casual reader of this board is far beyond the knowledge level of the target audience. I do enjoy the Columbia ads. They've got a few new ones this year...

Tim

Reading the blog from a member/journalist, Greg Child has made it a bit more interesting as it's filled out some of the details. The TV episodes are up to about May 2nd now, so reading further than that will contain spoilers, but it's not bad to read ahead either, as then the TV makes more sense. What ends up in the broadcast must be heavily edited, and leads to some confusion.

I agree it's less interesting than last year. Tim's the only "personality". I still like the scenery but don't feel I really need to stay awake from 10 to 11. I'll catch the re-runs.

Does anyone else find the surreal depiction of altitude problems annoying. Like they flash this close up of the eye so the audience "can feel" it?

Plus, I wish they would show the "x-rays" of Tim's cage and pins more often.

I definitely liked last year's show better, it does not look like they put too much effort into this year's production. The cast also seems a lot smaller and there are many repeat climbers. I find Tim interesting, but the chick that interviewed him and decided to go climb with this year's expedition, I find her very amateurish and annoying. How did they pick her? I will still watch the episodes b/c it is better than 99 % of the garbage on t.v. right now, but I am looking forward to watching Bear Sky gliding or whatever off of the summitt of Everest this weekend.

Is it just me or...

I can't stand some of these people... Some are great though.

The skinny girl is one of those - oh look at poor me, I'm crazy, normal people don't and wouldn't do this, I must be special.

Tim the biker dude is just - Hey man look this is Everest cliche, cliche, the strong go on the weak die, ect.