Everest: Beryond the limits (second season)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The skinny chick had to get a crampon lesson at 21, 000 feet? <edit>Unbelievable! :eek:
This show..I don't know...I'm still processing my disgust at this moment....the only thing that can downgrade Everest and the determination of those who train hard and make sacrifices to attempt it are these jokers who've they've chosen to front a free ride too.

:mad:

Last edited:
una_dogger said:
The skinny chick had to get a crampon lesson at 21, 000 feet? J$#@* friggin Christ!

This show..I don't know...I'm still processing my disgust at this moment....the only thing that can downgrade Everest and the determination of those who train hard and make sacrifices to attempt it are these jokers who've they've chosen to front a free ride too.

:mad:
That's what makes it great TV ! We take these things too seriously, this show is eye candy and belly laughs.

What got to me was the two Kazakhs who scurried up Brice's ropes right after the Sherpas summitted. The freakin' guys must've been sitting back waiting.

giggy said:
If it were Denali, K2, or any other peak - I would watch it no doubt.

Funny you should say that ....... I'm watching a show right now on PBS (NOVA) called "Deadly Ascent". It's all about climbing Denali. Very interesting, and incredibly beautiful. More info HERE.

i12climbup said:
Funny you should say that ....... I'm watching a show right now on PBS (NOVA) called "Deadly Ascent". It's all about climbing Denali. Very interesting, and incredibly beautiful. More info HERE.

That's an awesome documentary. I saw it last week. And tonight I watched a Natl Geo called "Death on the Mountain: Women of K2". Also well done.

I think alot of the blame has to be with the businesses that guide up Everest. Its all about the money. Heck, after what Tim the biker guy did the year before, would you let him come back? Obviously, he had enough money to pay Russel Brice for the second attempt.

Regarding the crampon lady who's never used crampons before. I'm not surprised by that, but I would wonder what kind of screening process Bryce's group does to let folks without crampon experience on the mountain. You'd think they would go through this before getting to base camp. I know even RMI has stuff that you go through and equipment lists and stuff for Rainier... Maybe for the hell of it, one should try to sign on to one of these Everest expeditions using some ficticious name and skills and see what kind of screening process goes on. It would be interesting.

Joe Climber
Age 57
experience: I can boil water

See what happens... :)

Jay

daxs said:
I think alot of the blame has to be with the businesses that guide up Everest. Its all about the money. Heck, after what Tim the biker guy did the year before, would you let him come back? Obviously, he had enough money to pay Russel Brice for the second attempt.

I wonder of he had the money or discovery helped him along since he was such a focal part of the story this year after last year and it will help keep those who watched last year tuned in this year.

I will watch again, but find the show mostly boring. They say the same stuff they said last year, keep showing clips of last year and its a lot of fluff- doctor (paraphrased) "if you get less oxygyn, you will get more tired"- thanks, deep stuff.

Reminds me of the Ironman Triathlon coverage. Used to be great many years ago- treated like a real sporting event. Then changed to more of a documentary style focusing on the people, lots of narration; stories not related to he race; boring, IMO.

I'll keep watching for the views, but eventually that will wear off.

I really question the crampon thing. That had to be staged, what guide in their right mind would take someone who never put a crampons on before up everest.

say what you want about the guide - I think there is some controversy regarding him, but i just don't buy the fact that he is taking people with that little exp up everest. has to be for the cameras.

I didn't watch it though - so who know, I am just shooting my mouth off here.

Betsy, the skinny-chick crampon-newbie, claimed she had used them. There's s clip in the show where Russell chides her saying "You told me you knew how..." She also claims, on the camera, that she's been 2/3 of the way there - to 20,000 feet. I'm sure she's not a rank beginner.

It's not like marathons where your resume can be backed up by checking with other race results / services. A certain amount of trust has to be put in the applicants, and if they fail the time or technique tests going on right now, they are not put on the summit team.

Tim

Jay H said:
Joe Climber
Age 57
experience: I can boil water

See what happens... :)

Jay
Add "and I can blow 60k and 3 months of my life" and Joe's probably in.

I'd never consider Everest unless I had had no problem with 4 or 5 of the other 7 and 1 or 2 more like Cho Oyu AND didn't care if I died or lost hands and feet in the attempt, BUT there are people who have the time, money and natural abilities to summit without alot of other experience. Not that they should be allowed if they're putting others at risk, but Guiding is a For Profit Business, not a philanthropic service. A certain percentage of all climbers on any trip are going to bonk. The Guides know this and it helps to keep the business profitable. No harm, no foul. You buys your ticket and you rides the ride.

giggy said:
say what you want about the guide - I think there is some controversy regarding him, but i just don't buy the fact that he is taking people with that little exp up everest.
Based on a clip from last season (one climber's previous attempt) the guide doesn't go up Everest. He stays at some lower camp in his tent talking on the radio. Not much risk on his part if the clients are unsafe.

MichaelJ said:
Based on a clip from last season (one climber's previous attempt) the guide doesn't go up Everest. He stays at some lower camp in his tent talking on the radio. Not much risk on his part if the clients are unsafe.

when I say him - I mean the expedition leader and he is ultimately responsible for the clients.

I don't know - maybe I am giving them too much credit. I honestly have no clue how himalyan guiding is done.

MichaelJ said:
This particular guide doesn't go up. Others do.

Also some guiding outfits demand that you do a lesser climb with them before they will take you on one of the biggies.

Doug

MichaelJ said:

I watched this show last year but not so far this year. Last year every client was accompanied by their own personal Sherpa. Russell Brice the main Guide stays at the North Col in order to coordinate the teams effort. IMO alot of dramatization is written into this show..."for television so to speak". Brice was surrounded by some controversy last year when his team was accused of not helping another climber in the Green Boots area of the climb.Here is Brice's summary of last season.

skiguy said:
I watched this show last year but not so far this year. Last year every client was accompanied by their own personal Sherpa. Russell Brice the main Guide stays at the North Col in order to coordinate the teams effort. IMO alot of dramatization is written into this show..."for television so to speak". Brice was surrounded by some controversy last year when his team was accused of not helping another climber in the Green Boots area of the climb.Here is Brice's summary of last season.

Last year Brice had a couple of other guides working for him that did go up; besides the Sherpa's. I couldn't tell if that was the case this year but I asume so.

Brice is the expedition leader, coordinator, weather guru, logistics boss, owner of HimEx, etc. He employees climbing Sherpas (fix the ropes, take clients up) of which his most experienced is Phurba Tashi (10th summit on show 1), and camp Sherpas (cooks, etc), and a high-altitude doctor. Last year that was Terry -- and he summited. This year, the doctor isn't planning to summit.

Last year he took fees from the other expeditions to fix the ropes, so others wouldn't have to.

From a climbing/guiding with clients point of view, it's not clear to me the difference between a "guide" and a climbing Sherpa.

One thing that is very clear is that all the climber-wannabe-clients are in awe of the Sherpas. Mogens said "putting a Sherpa on Os is like putting jet fuel in a Formula-1 car." ABC -> Summit -> ABC in one day, usually a 3 day trip with acclimatization stays. This year, 4/30, was the earliest recorded summit.

Tim