Fall Gathering?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, since it seems like a landslide support (at least 2 votes :D ) for a 19-21st gathering I post a separate thread on it.

Mats Roing said:
I was gonna put a Barnes Field event together for 9/19-21........can we make that the Fall Gathering?

The Gathering is supposed to be about hiking, not just partying, so plan accordingly and respect the wishes of the attendees.

Plus, last Fall it was just up the road in Shelburne, which means anyone who came a distance last year has minimal incentive to return to the same area.

I know, I have no right to input because we're not attending anyway, but anyone can party at Barnes anytime, and I'd like to see the Gathering not be the all-night music blasting and 40' bonfire, but rather about camping, the mountains, friends, and hikes.

MichaelJ said:
The Gathering is supposed to be about hiking, not just partying, so plan accordingly and respect the wishes of the attendees.

Apologies if my thread was misleading.....I changed the frist sentence from "The party is on!" to "The hiking friendly gathering is on!".

I can cancel the thread (with moderators help) if people think it was too party-like, disrespectful and dictatorial......we can also have a poll among the VFTT members....

Group Hug time..... :)

MichaelJ said:

Plus, last Fall it was just up the road in Shelburne, which means anyone who came a distance last year has minimal incentive to return to the same area.

I know, I have no right to input because we're not attending anyway, but anyone can party at Barnes anytime, and I'd like to see the Gathering not be the all-night music blasting and 40' bonfire, but rather about camping, the mountains, friends, and hikes.
Easy Solution: 2 Fall Gatherings!!!!!!! Party On!!

-Dr. Wu

I'll be with Chomp in Foxboro on the 21st so I can't make it that weekend. Have fun.

- darren

MichaelJ said:

and what barnes gathering wasn't about hiking or climbing first????? Every one that I have been at - was no different than the 2 gatherings I have been to - no difference at all.

both - hike/climb/eat/drink/chat with freinds/fire/music

just don't like the barnes events classified as a frat party/roman orgies and posts like this don't help. There seems to be a "bad rep" out there from people that haven't been to one. The reality is - they are no different.

I don't think MJ meant it that way, but just some clarification here - just saying.

I remember the time I camped at BF with Giggy, Arm and a few others from here. I did a lot of hiking from the fire to the cooler but then the next day we were up early and did a kick-ass hike up Madison Gulf and over Adams to Jefferson.

I suggest that in the future we fix the date, as it has been for the past 10 years, as the 3rd weekend in Sept. and limit the debate to where and who will stick their neck out and make reservations ... Banff excepted as to the date.

Meanwhile, I'll go wherever it's held. Thanks to Mats Roing for taking the bull by the horns and to Michael J for reminding us what it is really all about.

C'mon people! No one need take offense! There are definately different themes to different "get togethers" -- I have happily been to a fair amount of these gatherings and there is definately a variety of themes -- some are more low key, quiet (conversations and sounds of nature vs background music) and pot luck style --I'll use Spencer's ADK Gathering and the Other Spencer's Gathering at White Birches last year as examples.... and some are raging bonfire, tunes (live or DJ'd), and a bit more "celebratory" -- they are both fun to attend and all have been wildly successful! :) (OK, there was that one time in VT...)

I'm pretty sure all MJ is pointing out is that for a Annual VFTT Gathering perhaps the distinction should be clear so the event is inclusive to the widest range of members of our community -- if one person's saying it, usually a fair amount are also thinking it. :)

Let the group hugs continue!

Last edited:
Some people go for the quiet sounds of nature, some are into bon fires and partying... some are into both. There's no reason anyone can't have their own "gathering." As I see it, Mats put up a t&e for a "Fall Gathering" and so it is.

FWIW, I think these events, regardless, are pretty tame. There's some drinking, occasionally music etc. but for the most part these aren't wild orgies. Not by my standards at least.

If someone wants to have a gathering with a different theme or host it in a different state, go for it! I don't think Darren is going to be like "no, only 1 gathering per season!" You really couldn't -- this is a large enough, diverse enough group that there's gonna be a little somethin' for everyone. No body is forcing anyone to travel or go to Barnes Field or party and neither Mats or anyone else is putting an official stamp on anything. And if someone wants to have it "VFTT Certified" as the "Official VFTT Gathering" you have to talk to Darren, I guess.

Mats' post is kind of impromptu for a somewhat significant event and it should be fun.

-Dr. Wu

una_dogger said:
C'mon people! There are definately different themes to different "get togethers" -- I have happily been to a fair amount of these gatherings and there is definately a variety of themes -- some are more low key, quiet (conversations and sounds of nature vs background music) and pot luck style --I'll use Spencer's ADK Gathering and the Other Spencer's Gathering at White Birches last year.... and some are raging bonfire, tunes (live or DJ'd), and a bit more "celebratory" -- they are both fun to attend!

I'm pretty sure all MJ is pointing out is that for a Annual VFTT Gathering perhaps the distinction should be clear so the event is inclusive to the widest range of members of our community -- if one person's saying, usually a fair amount are also thinking it. :)

Let the group hugs continue!

I hear ya, Wu...but don't think anyone is suggesting dividing into "two camps" ..just pointing out that the more celebratory gatherings are usually held on private property where someone has been willing to take responsibility for the Good Name of VfTT (LOL) no matter what antics go on...and others are at public campgrounds...not trying to take the moral high ground here but.....I think that's a growing concern based on some of the posts here??

Not saying that Mats was advertising a huge drunken bonfire at Barnes, cuz he wasn't, plus, I'm pissed I can't go.......... :D

all I am saying is the fall and winter gatherings that I have been to - were very similar in "theme" to the barnes type theme.

hiking, food, beer, freinds - just don't want people to think just b/c mats set this up (using his credit card, etc mind you) that if you like to go to bed early or what not, it will be too loud, etc..

ahh you know what - f it; why I am even explaining this...... I don't even care b/c I am not even going.

Ok, so I heard, "gathering", "passing through" as I do my "north to south 48 diretissima" and "it would be cool to see some dudes and dudettes". If there's been some kinda issue in the past with giant bonfires, music and beer.. well, i'm confused how that post would prompt that.

well, maybe mats just knows how to party too well. got a reputation, eh? ;)

yes group hugs, and more importantly i'll be there.

una_dogger said:
.and others are at public campgrounds...not trying to take the moral high ground here but.....I think that's a growing concern based on some of the posts here??

Not saying that Mats was advertising a huge drunken bonfire at Barnes, cuz he wasn't, plus, I'm pissed I can't go.......... :D
You can definitely put me in the camp of not caring what the rest of the public thinks. Sorry to turn libertarian on y'all, but I'd toss my grandmother in a fire for a beer. :rolleyes: :p

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
You can definitely put me in the camp of not caring what the rest of the public thinks. Sorry to turn libertarian on y'all, but I'd toss my grandmother in a fire for a beer. :rolleyes: :p

-Dr. Wu

LMAO! Ok...Ok...I gotcha! :D

I'll stop trying to make any more remarks, obviously "me" taking the moral highground is convincing to no one!!!

Mats -- my hats off to you for saving the faltering Fall Gathering -- and good luck on the Diretissma!

I'm not sure why the hiking spirit was questioned in the first place.

People have been going to NH hiking and gathered around the campfire at night for hundreds of years. We are having a fantastic time around the fire and on the trail and I think that the VFTT crowd spreads more joy on the trail than any other group (Dartmouth College students are up there also). See how Darlene and Juniper went the whole nine yards to make everyone smile along the Pressies on July 4th for example.

The BF events I've been at have all been great gatherings and never gone out of control. The sheriff passes by every hour and there have never been any complaints. Everyone looks after themselves and each other.....come and experience these gatherings and see how you like it :) If you don't enjoy it we'll refund your contribution towards the reservation fee :D

Electronic communication leaves a fair amount up to the readers imagination so there can be a lot of misunderstandings leading to unnecessary arguments. The word "party" means different things in different contexts....and people interpret words differently.....life's too short to not have a party all the time....even when sleeping....I can't wait to go to sleep to see what interesting stuff's gonna happen in the dreams.....basically if you're not laughing when tying your shoes and changing your underwear you're wasting time (I'm still working on this one though :D )....that's how I look at it......and hugs are good also..... :)

Also.....I posted a little note about what hikes/climbs people are going to do during the gathering on the thread with the camp logistics. Let's start discussing that instead..... :rolleyes:

The Barnes Field get-togethers have earned a very well-deserved reputation for hard partying. I have enjoyed them, and do hope to enjoy more, but blasting music across the campground at 2am is not really what a lot of folk here think "The Gathering" should be about. That was made pretty clear last year when planning the White Birches Gathering.

So my point was to be rabble-rouser, remind everyone of last year's heated discussions on this topic, and encourage the organizer to make it clear to anyone who wants to attend just what kind of event it's going to be.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need another beer, and I don't have anyone I can toss in the fire for it...

The easy solution is to ask Darren/mods if they can change the name of Mats' thread from "Fall Gathering Barnes Field, NH 9/18-21" to "Drunken Crazy Puke-Sex Fest at Barnes Field, NH 9/18-21" then the "Gathering" monicker would be available for more legitimate activities. :D

-Dr. Wu

MichaelJ said:
The Barnes Field get-togethers have earned a very well-deserved reputation for hard partying. I have enjoyed them, and do hope to enjoy more, but blasting music across the campground at 2am is not really what a lot of folk here think "The Gathering" should be about. That was made pretty clear last year when planning the White Birches Gathering.

dr_wu002 said:
The easy solution is to ask Darren/mods if they can change the name of Mats' thread from "Fall Gathering Barnes Field, NH 9/18-21" to "Drunken Crazy Puke-Sex Fest at Barnes Field, NH 9/18-21" then the "Gathering" monicker would be available for more legitimate activities. :D

-Dr. Wu

Dr. Wu, with all respect, you are wrong. Plain and simple. ;)

This is The Gathering 9.999999532466. While in the past I do believe that an attempt was made to schedule it for when Darren could come, given the fact that no one did (or could) pick up the ball, Mats kindly offered to take the lead, which I for one (if in fact I can go) will be very grateful.

Having attended a lot of Gatherings and several other non Gathering-type events, I have to say that with some notable exceptions (one involving my own excess with the Dr. Ugh.) there is not a huge amount of difference between these events. We all hike, we all eat very well, we all socialize, and many of us drink, some to excess. Yes, even at the Gatherings. :p

So, while I hear what you're saying Michael, I hope folks can thank Mats for taking up the banner in keeping the tradition alive. And for those of us who can attend the Gathering, keep the spirit! This event is about the love of nature, hiking, commeraderie, and the fine folks that VFTT is all about.

I'll just clear up a couple of things...

1) I'm down for as many get-togethers / gatherings as anyone wants to organize.

2) The original seasonal "gatherings" had ties to VFTT, but were not "VFTT Gatherings". Ridgerunner (anyone seen or heard from him lately?) originally organized the "First Annual Gathering of Northeast Hikers" and it happened to coincide with my birthday but not by plan. Back then (10 years ago), VFTT was pretty much the only forum website for hiking in the Northeast (now there are what, 20?) so Ridgerunner posted the Gathering info on VFTT. We had so much fun at the first annual gathering that we added a winter gathering and named it 1.5. Tradition took off. Over the years the #.# gatherings have come to be associated with VFTT but again, not by design.

3) I have "laid claim" to Gathering 10.0 being in the Canadian Rockies (Lake Ohara). It will be in the summer of 2009 (yes we should be in the 12.x's by then, but the original plan was for 10.0 to be magestic in nature and be in the Canadian Rockies hence all the 9.99999xxxx for everything in the meantime until 10.0 actually happens - it is just that a few broken legs and a few years in Hawaii has delayed things).

4) Yes, the original gatherings did have beer, wine, fire, music, and hiking.

5) Yes, compared to recent events, the original gatherings had less beer, less wine, smaller fires, lower music, hiking, and maybe even featured a couple of slide shows. But they weren't that much quieter considering the number of people - even at the first gathering in Eustis the campground owners had to ask us several times to quiet down and we joked that we could never go back there ( http://www.vftt.org/gallery/gather98/index.html ).

6) If VFTT gets associated with any of these "gatherings" we should try to stay in control and not offend nearby campers or campground owners. Have we gotten out of line at gatherings in the past? Yes. I'm the first person to admit to that I have. But we live and learn and hopefully let our lessons guide our actions in the future.

7) Do I want VFTT to become known as a crazy group of offensive partiers? No, certainly not. Am I afraid that will happen? No. I think there is enough self policing in this community.

8) Am I opposed to family oriented VFTT events / gatherings? No, certainly not. Each event should be tailored to the desires or the organizer and those who want to attend.

9) Wow, I have typed way more than I intended to type about gatherings.

Aloha

- darren

Last edited:
Reactions: arm