Family camping/hiking weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Sikes

Reaction score
We were discussing kids and hiking and how much fun they have when they are with other kids (see the girls with altitude thread here and on the ADK website) and one of the members thought it would be neat to have a weekend where families could get together so kids could meet other hikers and we could do various trips depending on where the kids/parents are at in their ability. I know summer is still a ways away but thought I through it out and see if there would be any interest in the NH area. There definately is in the NY area.

Interested!

I live in Boston and hike in NH. I have 2 teens that I might be able to entice to participate if other youngsters were plentiful at such an event!

My hiking buddy has lots of young nieces he's always trying to bring with him on hikes, so I would endorse this idea as a very worthy one! For my teens, I already have concerns that they spend way too much time sitting in front of their PC's (like I do) :eek: and are lacking in appreciation for the outdoors!

Again, great idea!

I've got a hockey team between my 2 boys and their 2 friends that we take.
This summer they'll be 10 - 12 yrs old. We'd like to join an outing anywhere.
We boat camp on the islands in Lake George a few times in the summer, something around Lake George would be fun. Dacks and Whites are also possible, depending on timing.

My son and I will complete our 48 this summer. He loves the mountain/hiking culture and would rather stay at a busy hut or campsite then to stealth camp. So this idea would soar with him.

Like most gatherings if a campsite is reserved it can serve as a base for many different excursions. some may want to bag a peak while others may want to go to a pond or waterfall. With a cenral location a potluck/gathering/ get toegther could be easily arranged. Such an event could be very healthy for mind body and spirit.

I always felt that 13 falls was the perfect place to introduce kids to back country hiking. They can either stay around 13 falls and play in the water or hike to the surrounding summits.

I'm glad to hear there are some kids out there! Where are all the girls? When do we think would be a good time to plan this taking into account bugs and rainy seasons....just wondering so we can atleast find a place that would be a good starting point. I like the 13 Falls idea. I've never camped there.

We will be planning the DAKs version of the Family weekend in the middle of July, exact dates pending (just to give you a heads up). You may want to plan for a late July or even August one, in case there are some that may want to "double up" and go to both.

Other than 1 week in the middle of August, which we plan on taking the kids to some BIG time hiking in British Columbia, we would certainly try to make a the long 10 hour drive in for a family outing in NH, VT or wherever the eastern "family event" is held.

I'll continue to post details about the Adirondack event in hopes to some will want to travel to it. It's a definite though. Some of the stuff we thought about planning was planning some Beginner to Advanced level hikes and possibly some intros into slide climbing and b-whacking (ADK style) to help teach some navigational skills. I think that might be something the older kids might enjoy, provided we stick to reasonable ones (i.e. not punishingly thick) to 360 degree summits.

I love 13 Falls, it is such a wonderful place. Can I borrow someone's kid and attend? :D :D I might try and talk a friend of mine into coming with her daughter if the trip is someplace with a hike under 5 miles. Sounds like so much fun . . .

sli74

Sly....sure you can....you don't have kids to come but most people might not want to be around a bunch of teenage girls. he he :p

Mav...we will try to do both. I love the Daks and wouldn't miss it. I'll keep an eye out for the dates. My kids are looking forward to getting out with your kids again!

My kids had a great time at Spence's over the past 2 years, would love for them to hike with their peers, i hope the date works for me....

sli74 said:
I love 13 Falls, it is such a wonderful place. Can I borrow someone's kid and attend? :D :D I might try and talk a friend of mine into coming with her daughter if the trip is someplace with a hike under 5 miles. Sounds like so much fun . . .
sli74

Seema I will be faxing you the paperwork for temporary adoption of our 5 year old Keaton. I think He'd find you and your many adventures fascinating!!!! :)

I mentioned on the ADK site that my wife has been on me since 2000 to let her get back to NY and finish her 46 - So this would be nice!!

I'd also like to get our 5-year old started on some higher peaks. Based on our 6-7 hikes up Wachusetts and a couple of times up Soapstone Mountain (Quabbin Reservoir), He OWNS me!!!

We will be visiting relatives and hiking the Lake Districts UK for a few weeks in June, so mid to late July should be fine for us.

percious said:
I'm down. My son will be 3 this summer, and his brother is due in april. Colden has been to the top of 10 4Kers so far.

Hey a new club! The 4K carried club! I wonder how many kids have been carried to the summits of 10 4Ks! :D

Obviously you have to do this quickly, or the kid gets too heavy to carry at some point! :D

I have posted information about the ADK Family Gathering -HERE-.

It's open to anyone and will be just like any other gathering, except kid friendly. We went with mid July, as I beleive Spence (Peak_bgr) will still be having his annual gathering (not to be missed) in August and we wanted to space it out some.

Tom Rankin said:
Hey a new club! The 4K carried club! I wonder how many kids have been carried to the summits of 10 4Ks! :D

Obviously you have to do this quickly, or the kid gets too heavy to carry at some point! :D

Depends how many kids you have?

All a matter of perspective!

-percious

Tom Rankin said:
I wonder how many kids have been carried to the summits of 10 4Ks! :D

Obviously you have to do this quickly, or the kid gets too heavy to carry at some point!
You'd be surprised at the size of kid you can fit into a 70 liter pack, and carry him/her without too much trouble. A very good thing to remember in case of injury. (of the kid, not carrier)

Go figure, the dates don't work for us because their in sleep away camp in the Berkshires for the first time, and i'm there also working until 8/12...but...I'll still go to Spence's with them..

I have a 6 yo and 7 yo and depending on the dates am interested in the whites.

We have two trheads in one..which makes this a rope...I'll start a 13Falls in the whites specific thread.