Favorite Peaks/Hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a lot of people always talk about the high peaks in the Dacks, unfortunately i havent done any of them, but i've done several of the smaller ones. chimney mountain is one of my favorites that i've done. its not very tall but has the best views i've ever seen, and there's caves and a million other side trails to explore with awesome rock formations everywhere. natural history at its best.

The Bigelow Range, both for the mountains and for the memories.

And, of course, The Greatest Mountain (that's the translation of the word "Katahdin").

Oops, gotta throw Mahoosuc Notch in there, too.

P.S. Love the "new" avatar, Nadine! A little chilly, were you? :rolleyes:

Lets see. In the Adirondacks, Gothics is my favorite. the first time I climbed it, over 30 years ago, it really had an effect on me. That hard-wired something about that mountain in my brain.

More recently, memories of Katahdin made it a great mountain, as did memories of a hike through the Mahoosuc Notch.

I think my favorite hike was always my last one. Even if I was miserable, a couple weeks time seems to fade the memories of the bad parts, and emphasize the good!

Was it the southern Presis and Washington on a calm day at 65 degrees, Hancock in fall foliage, Cabot as a newbie boy scout (maybe thirty years ago? :eek: ) the first time on Franconia Ridge, another time with my own son (his first), Flume slide in the fog, the Moats on a crisp October day, popping out of the trees at the top of the Willard cliffs (surprise!), the northern Presis with the clouds coming in & out (peek-a-boo), those handfulls of blueberries on Manadnock... watching a moose, a bear, or some deer... Who can decide? :confused:

Cool Thread

ME - Mt. Katahdin via Knife Edge (favorite overall)
NH - Mt. Washington via Tuckerman/Lion's Head (I've only done 14 of the 48 so far, so this could change)
NY - Dix, coming from Hough

Standard disclaimer: To me, it's always just great just to get out. Every hike I've done has produced some great memories in one way or another. :D

Northwest basin trail starting from Russell pond, sleep at Davis pond shelter, then out and over Hamlin peak trail.

Huntington Ravine trail is my default trail in the whites, but I do not go to the top of the rock pile ( that last mile destroys me ! :eek: ).

Well,I guess this would be more Downeast than Northeast,but Cape Chignecto Coastal Trail in Nova Scotia would be my favorite.
HTML:
http://www.capechignecto.net/main.htm

favorite peaks

Finishing the NE 4000'ers this year and the Appalachian Trail last year both on Mount Katahdin on clear days (Baxter and Hamlin peaks) will make that my favorite mountain forever. That doesn't even account for the Knife Edge, which is one of the best hiking spots in the Northeast.

I really like Moosilauke, the Franconia Ridge, and the Presi's in the Whites.

One stretch of mountains that really impressed me was the view south from the AT along the whole Mahoosuc Arm, Old Speck, Baldpate stretch, where you slowly watch the White mountains fade away. The AT stretch between Hanover and Smarts Mtn. is really nice, too, where you are approaching the White Mountains. The cabin and firetower atop Smarts make it a greater place!

Grizzly

I was just filling out the survey for the ADK 46r Club today and this was one of the questions.

I automatically found my hand scribing "Haystack". Probably both for a great, varied hike to the summit, and spectacular views. IMO, the best part of Haystack is looking at it from Basin... it's very unique.

Hmmm, let me see.

New York - Marcy
Vermont - Mansfield
NH - Washington
Mass - Greylock
Ct - Frissell
Maine - Katahdin

I'm starting to notice a trend. Seriously, though, I have to agree with those who say it's tough to choose from so many great mountains. If I had to choose just one though, Basin stands out - I've only been there once but it was as close to a religious experience I ever had on a mountain. Climbed it at dawn and had a distant cloud approach and then pass right through me on an otherwise clear morning. It was kind of surreal.

I was thinking hard on this and could not name a "favorite" peak. Is it the view, terrain or the momment that becomes the "favorite". I have some very memorable and enjoyable hikes, watching fireworks from Monadnock, being alone on the Crawford Path in the early morning sun, a family hike along Welch/Dikie just to name a few.

I guess I just have to hike some more to find my favorite.

my favorite

Mt. Dana, oh wait is this thread pertaining to the East? Then I pick The "Rockpile",I know its busy, touristy, and commercialized, but Ive had so many adventures on that peak, winter solo's, summer ascents, rescues, man my washington memeories beat them all. :D

fAVORITE-A NEW ONE

Echo doubletop in BSP-my personal favorite- also add the Howes great spot to view the entire BSP. In NH, as was mentioned I love Chocorua, Jefferson, and espaecially Franconia Ridge. This saturday I did Osceola for the first time and was absolutley BLOWN AWAY :D I had incredible views in each direction, this was one of the greatest views I have had in 25 plus years of hiking in the whites

best seat in house

also add the Howes great spot to view the entire BSP.

Mike, Howes through me off a bit, but that seat on the last peak I think is the best seat in Baxter. Too bad that trail is closed, it made a great loop.