Fitness for Training Old Farts 55+

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Rickie

Reaction score
Inspired by the other string, who is 55 yrs or older and how do you train?

I exercise 4 hours a week in the 70-80% target heart rate zone but my recovery really sucks.

I think I qualify for this thread.

I work out at the gym 4-5 times per week, alternating cardio and weight machines (I've only been doing this for a few weeks now). I hike 1-2 times per week, on average. I consider myself to be out of shape at the moment.

I'm 63.

Intervals

pushing 57 here...

I exercise 4 hours a week in the 70-80% target heart rate zone but my recovery really sucks.

I assume that by 'recovery' you mean that your breathihg & heart rate take a long time to normalize after a hard push. (rather than how you feel the next day).

Have you tried interval training? There's lot of info on it, so I won't go into details. It has helped my recovery substantially. On the trail, I try to maintain a steady pace, quite the opposite of intervals.

To avoid injuries, I've found it helpful to continually change my routine, e.g. never do the same routine more than twice a month. I also emphasize low weight, high reps (15-20 reps).

Ed

I'm glad you posted.

How is your recuperation? How hard are your workouts and how long/hard are your hikes?

Last week I exercised 4 x for a total of 180 min and 141 min of that was at my target rate between 70-80% which is mild/moderate effort. The first three sessions were areobic. I did a long walk along the cannal for 2 hr 40 min 8+ (3mph) miles on Saturday, mild/moderate effort. Sunday was my fourth session. Lite aerobics and lite wts, 8 sets, high rep, full body lifts.

I'm still tired today.

pushing 57 here...
I assume that by 'recovery' you mean that your breathihg & heart rate take a long time to normalize after a hard push. (rather than how you feel the next day).

I'll be 57 this year. By recovery I mean feeling fresh enough to exercise the next day.

If I push too far and my heart rate doesn't come down in a reasonable time then I'm done for that day. The only exception is when I'm hiking and I have to finish my hike but then I expect the next day or so to be tired because I've extended myself.

Last edited:
I try to hike twice a week, and on off days walk 1-2 miles. I don't pay any attention to heart rate - I have my own pace and it is what it is.

I'm 62.

How is your recuperation? How hard are your workouts and how long/hard are your hikes?

I recover reasonably quickly. My cardio workouts are 40-45 minutes, and I'm quite tired, dripping with sweat afterwards. While doing cardio, I would have a difficult time carrying on a conversation. I feel great afterwards.

edit: my cardio is usually the elliptical machine.

On alternate days spend about an hour or a little more doing various weight machines. I'm rotating through about 9 of them, but as someone said, I should probably mix it up a little more. I am increasing the weight, slowly. I walk a few laps on the indoor track before and after.

I tend to feel more tired after weights than after cardio.

Last edited:
I do the treadmill for 15-20 minutes (5 -->8 degrees, 4 mph), and then hit the weight machines (1 lap). Back to a bike (or stair climber) for 15-20 min, followed by free-weights (2 laps). Try to get a brisk 4 mile walk/jog in there when the weather is good. Find I need to jog more to loose weight (?). The weights really helped the uphill in hiking.

I'm 63, and had the 5x CABG operation 3 yrs ago. Cholesterol is good (see other thread).

On to Ktaadn! 3 more to go.

Can a gal get in on this? :)
I hike twice a week in the winter and 2-3 times a week in the summer. I do yoga as often as possible for flexibiltiy and strength conditioning whenever I get a chance. I'm going to be 62 in May. Don't worry too much about target heart rates.

54. I try to do something outside (hike, climb, ski, etc.) both days on the weekend. Two visits to the gym per week for weight work, to maintain. Stretch every day. Looking forward to a day when I'll have time to do a little more, not sit at a desk.

In general:

>All the same things that worked when you were 20 work now.

>You're slower, so don't be disappointed. Don't be attached to your times from when you were 20. Suffereng arises from attachment.

>You're more likely to get hurt, so be more careful.

>Spend more time on flexibility.

>And remember that everyone is different. I have always been able to float up hills and recover very quickly. Not due to training, but due to genetics. On the other hand, my buddy will always be able to bench 3X what I can. Again, genetics.

Most of all, have fun!

TCD

Turning 56 this year. My goal is four days a week at the gym, usually get there three. 33 minutes on elliptical (or 400 calories, whichever comes first), then a half-mile swim.

Try to hike every weekend, but living without a car in NYC makes that really weather dependent. Usually ends up two weekends a month. My wife and I try to boost that up in the spring.

I know I'm not doing enough, not even sure I'm maintaining. Oddly, although I've gained weight over the past ten years, I have much more stamina now while hiking.

Not sure if this helps or is even relevant.

I lie about my age so we won't get into that but I qualify for this thread one way or the other.

I try to "work out" every other day, weather permitting, and unless I'm skiing, paddling, hiking etc. I run/walk a few miles and stretch before and after with a few calisthenics thrown in (no memberships or fancy equipment needed). I don't often achieve that frequency in the winter because of icy conditions where I run but come nice weather, I'm also busy gardening etc. and get my legs in shape by hauling stone, mulch or compost up a small hill from my driveway to my yard.

When I retired a few years ago I set a goal which I called "tenacious" ... 10-8 ... lose 10 lbs. and run an 8 minute mile. I don't run frequently enough to maintain that pace over more than a half mile and have changed my mantra to "9 to 5", run 9 minute miles and lose 5 lbs. It is good for morale to set realistic goals.

When possible, I make a point to alter my activities ... hiking and paddling .... snow shoeing and xc skiiing ... to allow recovery and distribute the effort among body parts.

I am certain that tequila helps prevent arthritis.

I have no idea what my heart rate is but my b.p., which apparently I inherited from my father, has always been ideal. It also helps that I don't give a damn about a lot of things. Speaking of laid back, there are good ways to exercise horizontally which are good for both the heart rate and the heart ... all the other stuff is particularly conducive to such activities.

72 years old. Try to hike a couple of times a week, and am fortunate that I have several roads with various grades close to home (steepest goes up 1,000 feet in 2½ miles) which I walk up another couple of times a week. No gym now that rehab is over.

I need to work on the mind......

A few years ago a college (do not recall which one) undertook a study to answer the questions of what is the best exercise to do and for how long. The results of their study are not very glamorous but I believe accurate.

The best exercise ....the one you will do. The one you think about does not do much good. Obvious. The conclusion was irrespective of what you do there is a benefit.

The duration question was most interesting. They concluded if you do 20 minutes per day, seven days per week, of whatever you do for exercise you will get the most long term benefit. The reason is attempting to do 30 minutes per day, results in a significant drop-out rate, by forty minutes the drop-out rate is huge, and by one hour per day statistically nobody is exercising (based upon the entire population). They even found you can get a benefit of two 10 minute intervals such as one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

The really big issue here is 20 minutes minimum per day. So if you do Owls Head today you need to do 20 minutes tomorrow.

I did this without missing a day for 18 months. I lost 65 lbs and hiked like a rabbit. Then I dropped something on my toe and broke the cycle. I have not been this goood for a while

Training is such a PITA but if I don't do it, guilt creeps in !
It feels so good when I've had a good session and it's over.

Then, I figure I have earned the right to take a guilt free day off.

The following day, a little soreness and no guilt-all good.

It can be any type of exercise. Yesterday- treadmill (4000' climb) and 2.5 hours of volleyball. Nice and sore today !

I focus on that good feeling and holding off the guilt.

Training is such a PITA but if I don't do it, guilt creeps in !
It feels so good when I've had a good session and it's over.

Then, I figure I have earned the right to take a guilt free day off.

The following day, a little soreness and no guilt-all good.

It can be any type of exercise. Yesterday- treadmill (4000' climb) and 2.5 hours of volleyball. Nice and sore today !

I focus on that good feeling and holding off the guilt.
Forget guilt! Fat creeps in! :D

I need to work on the mind......

The duration question was most interesting. They concluded if you do 20 minutes per day, seven days per week, of whatever you do for exercise you will get the most long term benefit. The reason is attempting to do 30 minutes per day, results in a significant drop-out rate, by forty minutes the drop-out rate is huge, and by one hour per day statistically nobody is exercising (based upon the entire population). They even found you can get a benefit of two 10 minute intervals such as one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

The really big issue here is 20 minutes minimum per day. So if you do Owls Head today you need to do 20 minutes tomorrow.

I did this without missing a day for 18 months. I lost 65 lbs and hiked like a rabbit. Then I dropped something on my toe and broke the cycle. I have not been this goood for a while

I've read this too but took it with a grain of salt. It didn't seem like enough to help hike mts.

I have been thinking of changing my routine to 5 shorter more intense sessions with a long walk hike on weekends. If I can discover my over work/train threshold I can see establishing a daily level work out and building on that.

Yes, exercise isn't an option. It is a necessity.

Lost 65 lbs on 20 min a day? Impressive.