Fitness levels and training (What the HECK!!?)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So much gym talk. It's no wonder so many are passing me by. Hiking is my workout routine, aside from general walking to where I need to be during the week rather than take the elevator or parking close by. One thing I have learned, though, is much of my pace is built on a pattern of behavior. Because of hearing loss, if I want to enjoy a conversation on the trail, I have to stop, and then I'm always stopping to listen. What I've tried to do (and still be considered friendly) is hike straight for, say 45 minutes, then take a conversation break of a minute or two with water.

Finally piece of advice is the obvious, there are no awards given to finishing a hike fast, its about enjoyment, so the best advice is to not bring a watch and spend more time enjoying the view (at least that is what my wife tells me :) ).

There may not be "awards" in the sense of trophies and the like, but there certainly are "rewards" to hiking fast. One of the primary rewards, curiously enough, is the increased enjoyment one experiences by being less fatigued (the eventual result of training and pushing your pace), fatigue being one of the principal underlying causes of fear in the mountain environment. As far as enjoying the view, I would just say that I have spent HOURS at overlooks that I have RAN to in order to catch the best light. Moving fast and enjoying the mountains to their very fullest are NOT incompatible.

Last edited:
My 2 cents; Find a steep, short hill close to home or work (I have one at our highschool that I need to get back to) that's convenient and hike up and down that thing with a 30lb pack, like 40 or 50 "laps" 2 or 3 times a week. You'll be surprised at how much different it feels then the gym machines. People will think it's "odd", but it's not any odder than doing laps on a track or in a pool.

However, there will always be someone stronger and faster out there. Some people are built different.
As painful as this is for me to say: Chip is right. We did Rainier two years ago by training this way, and we did very well compared to the others that accompanied us.

Last edited:
How old are you and what is your real hight and weight. Maybe you're doing too much wt training and not recovering well is holding you back? Over training can make you feel out of shape and cause you to perform poorly.

110 % wts?

15 min cardio?

Last edited:
There may not be "awards" in the sense of trophies and the like, but there certainly are "rewards" to hiking fast. One of the primary rewards, curiously enough, is the increased enjoyment one experiences by being less fatigued (the eventual result of training and pushing your pace), fatigue being one of the principal underlying causes of fear in the mountain environment. As far as enjoying the view, I would just say that I have spent HOURS at overlooks that I have RAN to in order to catch the best light. Moving fast and enjoying the mountains to their very fullest are NOT incompatible.

You hit on the head what I'm talking about...especially the being less fatigued as a way to decrease fear of the high ones...

Oh...and getting there fast to enjoy more time at the beautiful top.

Pack weight can slow down even the most fit strong hiker. I recommend you reduce your summer pack weight to less than 12lbs (including 2-3L water); and you winter pack weight to less than 24lbs (including 1-2L water)

The only training I do for hiking is hiking. I found that I can stay in good hiking shape with 3 hikes/14 days. I usually do 12miles with 2500ft of gain in 5hrs. This includes a 2-5 min break per hour. The terrain includes many small climbs or 300-600 ft.

Eat and drink small amounts each hour to stay properly nourished and hydrated. Keep your water and food handy so you can do this without removing your pack.

Do you slow your pace to watch your footing? I know some people who find it difficult to hike fast because they need to watch their foot placement all of the time.

How old are you and what is your real hight and weight. Maybe you're doing too much wt training and not recovering well is holding you back? Over training can make you feel out of shape and cause you to perform poorly.

110 % wts?

15 min cardio?

When I said 110 %...I didn't mean of my 1 rep max...just a figure of speech meaning I give my all when in the gym...I don't talk, stand around, or rest...I may not do as much cardio...but, training hard like this can also be somewhat of cardio too.

I'm 41 (AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH I said it!!!:eek:) and weigh 133 lbs. approx 21% body fat.

Pack weight can slow down even the most fit strong hiker. I recommend you reduce your summer pack weight to less than 12lbs (including 2-3L water); and you winter pack weight to less than 24lbs (including 1-2L water)

The only training I do for hiking is hiking. I found that I can stay in good hiking shape with 3 hikes/14 days. I usually do 12miles with 2500ft of gain in 5hrs. This includes a 2-5 min break per hour. The terrain includes many small climbs or 300-600 ft.

Eat and drink small amounts each hour to stay properly nourished and hydrated. Keep your water and food handy so you can do this without removing your pack.

Do you slow your pace to watch your footing? I know some people who find it difficult to hike fast because they need to watch their foot placement all of the time.

Would love to hike lots more...but, kids, working schedule, and distance from the mountains make it so we find it difficult to get more than 1 - 2, 10-milers per month.

I do watch my footing...but, I don't think that much? I tend to "trip/fall" more on the way down...he he he...

You hit on the head what I'm talking about...especially the being less fatigued as a way to decrease fear of the high ones...

No disagreements that its more fun if you can hike fast and are less fatigued. But even with the best training and diet our genetics will be the main determining factor in how far and fast we can go. One shouldn't get discouraged by not being able to stay up with the fastest hikers.

When I was much younger I could run a marathon in the 2:40 range, I knew runners who could do 2:20 and those who couldn't break 3:00. Often the difference wasn't dedication or effort it was ability. I always tell people its how well you do with what you have that matters, not how well you do absolutley.

That said you should also consider that the muscle groups you use for going up hill are different from the ones you use going down hill. It's important to keep both in balance.

With only 2 hikes per month, I got in my best hiking shape by working up to 5 days per week on the incline trainer 60 minutes per session working up to about 20% incline with around 1400 feet of elevation gain (as per my machine). Wasn't concerned with speed. Doing this helped me overcome some of the issues Hikes-With-Him has detailed, struggles on uphills and longer hikes. Also helped me with winter snowshoe hikes, snow, etc.

Not a perfect plan but I felt much better on tougher hikes doing this. Your mileage may vary.

I now do more cycling and running during the non snow time of the year; that all helps me as well (and nobody has ever confused me for a bean-pole).

Getting there (and back) faster with less fatique and fear is great, but it's also an important safety factor, especially in winter.

When I said 110 %...I didn't mean of my 1 rep max...just a figure of speech meaning I give my all when in the gym...I don't talk, stand around, or rest...I may not do as much cardio...but, training hard like this can also be somewhat of cardio too.

I'm 41 (AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH I said it!!!:eek:) and weigh 133 lbs. approx 21% body fat.

I was just making a comparison of your efforts and suspecting one may be taking from the other.

More hints:

give my all when in the gym

training hard like this

kids, working schedule,

You mentioned "to thin?" or something.

Found it:
beginning to think TOOO skinny?

If your leaning out lifting wts that often and eating well it might indicate over training and not fully recovering from your wt workouts. That can take away from your aerobic erformace easily and un-noticed. At age 41 recuperation becomes a bigger factor as well.

Last edited:
Have you ever had a medical cardio stress test? Anybody 40 and over should have a baseline for their records. It's a way to check if there are any underlying cardio conditions and to check against later in your life. I highly suggest it having had a heart attack eight years ago. I thought I was in good shape, but I experienced huffing and puffing quicker than would be expected.

Have you ever had a medical cardio stress test? Anybody 40 and over should have a baseline for their records. It's a way to check if there are any underlying cardio conditions and to check against later in your life. I highly suggest it having had a heart attack eight years ago. I thought I was in good shape, but I experienced huffing and puffing quicker than would be expected.

Did I say 41...er...I meant 31...;)

Interesting you should say this...hubby was a bit concerned too...sigh. I don't LIKE this getting old thing. I wonder if I've done damage to myself being so VERY overweight for so long? (Only at this fitness level in the last 2 years)...

A couple examples...PinPin..JayH...Mudhook...MG...JoeC..Doodles...there are more....lean.. light..fast...and aerobically superior...Then there's Rik...Can't figure him out:D

Easy. Little but with a big heart.

Don't let the age thing get to you. Forty one isn't that old, but knowing that you are able to be healthfully active is good to know. My grandmother, at age 95, told me "You know, I really don't feel any different than I ever did." What that means (to me, and I believe to her) is that she allowed herself to adjust to her changes in age, but not give in to them. Another way to look at it, do you still want to do the things you enjoyed at age 5? Do you wish you were the person you were at 15? Sixty-one won't be so bad, just wait and expect it not to be. I hope. :rolleyes:

hikes-with-him said:
I'm 41 (AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH I said it!!!:eek:)

Um...is there some required middle-aged angst that I'm missing out on? :confused:

I'm 41* as well.

hikes-with-him said:
I don't LIKE this getting old thing.

Sure beats the alternative! :D

*Chronological age. As far as maturity goes, SWMBO would prolly peg me at about 16. :rolleyes:

Um...is there some required middle-aged angst that I'm missing out on? :confused:

There's an inverse relationship between age and motabolism. It usually takes some years to recognize. When you finally understand in your 40's that you can only eat and drink half as much and need to excercise twice as much to only accomplish half what you could in your 20's, well, first you scream...;)