Fitting crampons on non-technical boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff Lowe has had two videos out for sometime on waterfall and alpine ice techniques. They both have very good sections on crampon technique.

mediclimber said:
Jeff Lowe has had two videos out for sometime on waterfall and alpine ice techniques. They both have very good sections on crampon technique.
I haven't seen the videos, but I found Chouinard's "Climbing Ice" to be better on flat-footing (French) techniques and Jeff Lowe's "The Ice Experience" to be better for front-pointing (Austrian) techniques. Both books cover the full range of techniques, but IMO their strengths differ.

I have been referring to Chouinard's book in this forum because I think it better addresses the needs of hikers who might occasionally find ice or snow climbing techniqes useful.

Doug

Yvon is the MAN

DougPaul said:
Read Chouinard's "Climbing Ice" if you want a full description of these techniques. (Chouinard's description of the techniques used on lower angle terrain is very good and can be useful to a hiker who might find a bit of snowclimbing or lower angle ice technique very useful.)

Doug

One of my all-time favorite books on mountaineering and ice climbing by a true pioneer. Everyone should read it, despite some of the equipment advice being a bit dated. The photographs alone make it a worthwhile purchase.