Flags on the 48 - 2009 - 09/12/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just confimed, our family can take Mt. Washington. My husband's business trip for that weekend was cancelled.

My husband's a double-amputee and will take the Auto Road up (with Sage). I will hike up. Don't yet know what Alex will do. But we'll all get up there one way or another, so you can sign us up if that's okay with you.

Chip, come join us if you like!

Trishandalex, Just head on over and sign yourself up. Many thanks!

48 out of 48. Now we just need some decent weather!

nice to see the list is full! I'll be on Carrigain this year with trekman...hopefully for my 48th 4k. I'll keep the binoculars pointed towards Washington for sure.
Remember, the list is never full! :D

Anyone can still participate.

You can help carry flag poles, duct tape, ropes, etc. or just show up!

i should have said "covered" peaks with coordinators. i should have about 10 pounds of steel conduit (one third of our pole...) - has worked really well since 2004 even in strong winds. just keeping my fingers crossed for clear visibility if carrigain is indeed my 48th...

Our Wildcat D co-ordinator has canceled. We're looking for someone who can do the peak. You can use the tram. If you use the Wildcat Ridge Trail, I can assure you that the trail is in good shape from Route 16.;)

Looks like I might be the only one in my family hiking up Washington -- the others are taking the Auto Road. If anyone wants to keep me company, pm me...the gear will go up in the car, so you won't have to carry anything except your own stuff.

Trish - Which way are you headed up? Maybe I could join you and send the girls up the auto road (as G has declared that Washington is best saved for last)...

Silent Cal

I was planning on going up that weekend for trail work. (I have assumed you would have complete coverage of all the peaks.) However, If you do not get anyone to cover Wildcat D I will take it as a last resort. It is important that there is 100% coverage. Besides I would love to see what a properly maintained trail looks like.

Silent Cal

I was planning on going up that weekend for trail work. (I have assumed you would have complete coverage of all the peaks.) However, If you do not get anyone to cover Wildcat D I will take it as a last resort. It is important that there is 100% coverage. Besides I would love to see what a properly maintained trail looks like.
Ditto on that from Chip and me.

Jim Hill, owner of TarryHo campground has offered a special pricing for partipants in the 8th annual Flags on the 48 event. Whether you are part of a flag group or just hiking to one of the peeks, if you want to camp someplace central to the mountains, this is the place to be.

Group camping on the River Sites will be $8 per person/per night.

Please contact Jim at 1-603-846-5577 to make a reservation. Please let him know that you are a participant in the Flags on the 48 event, how many in your group, which nights you will be staying, and how many/what size tents. Then let us know via a PM or email so we can help Jim coordinate folks.

In addition, Saturday after the hike, all participants are invited to hang out at our trailer at TarryHo, and use the grill, stove, microwave for dinner. Bring along your favorite beverage, some food to share, and let's tell stories about our experiences of the day. We will have chicken, steak tips, dogs and burgers to share, but please rsvp so we can judge how much we need to provide.

It's BYOB and BYOC (Chair!)

Jim will also have a bonfire after dark.

http://tarryho.com/

Arthur James and Northland at Tony's Italian Grille

Since the Mooseland Grill in Twin Mtn burned to the ground several years ago, the FOT48 group has not really had a primary place to congregate on Saturday evening. I realize that some folks now stay at the KOA campground in Woodstock, and some may be gathering at a campground in Twin (see Bob and Geri's post above).

However, on Saturday night of the FOT48 event this year, Arthur James and his Northland band will be playing at Tony's Italian Grille in Woodstock (on east side of Rt. 3, just south of the Jack O'Lantern golf course and condos, only a few miles from the KOA campground on Rt. 175 across the Pemi River) beginning about 7 pm until ???. Arthur will be accompanied by his long-time sidekick Gil Rand on base, and my grade-school classmate Alan Phenix on drums, as well as Jackie Lee on vocals, and others from near and far. If you have an instrument, you might be invited to stand in for a tune or two?

From 5:30 to 6:30 pm, Andrew Pinard will be providing his "Absolutely Magic Show," which is always fun for kids. The event will be "out back" under and around the big tent. This gig is part of an event with food provided, so please bring a pot luck side dish or donation. NO BYOB, but definitely BYOC (bring your own chair). Also, please leave pets at home, as they will not be allowed.

Here is a link to Arthur's site on MySpace, to give you a flavor of his music. Arthur, Gil, and Alan also play a regular gig the third Saturday of each month at the Sunset Grill on Rt. 3 in Campton.

http://www.myspace.com/arthurjamesakatheangrygardengnome

Last edited:
Music atop Mt. Monroe - Flags on the 48!

Just a call to all musicians and vocalists that, as every FOT48 year to date, live music will be played atop Mt. Monroe during the noon to 2 p.m. "Flags on the 48" commemoration.

Vocalists are welcome to sing their favorite tune(s), and can be accompanied by musicians if you forward the tune name(s) and the key in which you prefer to sing the tune(s), or alternatively, reference a tune in a common songbook or email a songsheet.

Percussion, guitars, woodwinds, brass, vocalists of all types - you name it, just bring it along and let's put some passion into this event.

Patriotic, blues, anything goes, folks. Join us.

Guido, on clarinet
[email protected]

Wildcat D for Flags on the 48 - with a caveat

SilentCal- I see that Puck and Paradox have said they'll do Wildcat D as a last resort. My family (hubby, me and twin 15 year old sons) can do Wildcat D, with a caveat - my sons are autistic and while they're rugged hikers (they've done 21/48 thus far), we don't have a flag pole, and it may take us a while to figure out how to carry the pole up the hill. Sometimes the little things for them just take longer. - As long as you're OK with that, we'd love to help - I've been looking for a way to get involved with the Flags on the 48 event.

Feel free to PM me if you want more details on my sons - they aren't real social but speak to communicate, and certainly are NOT violent (one of the stereotypes that people sometimes associate with the disability). Warning, though: they'll likely entertain you with silly inappropriate behavior involving bathrooming or private parts. (sorry). So bring your sense of humor. If we can entice the family gymnast to join we'll do so, making us a party of 5 -however lately the only hiking she does is at the mall.

Mary Kae - [email protected]

Warning, though: they'll likely entertain you with silly inappropriate behavior involving bathrooming or private parts. (sorry). So bring your sense of humor.

Sounds like most male hikers I have met ( teenagers)

Paradox and I have signed up for the peak on the Flags web site. We have flags poles etc. You are more than welcome to join us or take the peak for yourself.