Flags on the 48 - 2009 - 09/12/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if you were to pick one peak that you could see the most flags from, what would it be?

Since I'm not hiking this year (Cannon with Laurie's grand kids), I just might bring my small telescope! I brought it to Tom a few years back, and we spied on Chip over on Jackson. :D

:eek: Weirdo ! ;)

Actually I'm hoping we HAVE views on Saturday, any would be good. Weather report is a moving target.
Boy I sure hope the weather is nice, I was hoping to moon Tom.

Extra Flag

The coordinator for S. Kinsman has had to bail. I am working on replacing him right now, but just in case that does not pan out are there any folks who might be able to pick this peak up last minute?

Brian

I have an extra flag if someone needs one for this. Not sure if I can come up with the poling though. I guess I could part with ten feet from my rig, they would just need to bring duct tape & rope.

thanks
Bob

Russ and I are willing to help if you need us Brian. We'll be right there anyway so what's the big deal of sliding over one peak right?:rolleyes: We'd just need to borrow that extra flag and know what to bring for the rigging.

Washington was quite a success! Trish will have a nice trip report I am sure but a couple quickies:

I arrived on the summit at 8:30am and had the summit to myself for about 30 minutes. I also had the only views of the day at this time of day as blankets of random size fog rolled in and out throughout the day.

NO WIND! Where the heck was the wind today? It was almost eerie weird at how there was little to no wind. There was an occasional puff now and then but you had to look at the flag to even notice it.

I finally had the pleasure of meeting Ed and Lauky and how does Lauky greet me? He pretends my leg is a tree and tries to lift his leg on it. :eek: Thankfully both Ed and I realized what he was up to just in time. Silly dogs. :D

Huge thanks to everyone involved! It's gonna take me awhile to pass out greenies.

Super huge thanks to New Hampshire for all the extra work he did. It can be nerve-wracking but the end result is quite worthwhile.

carrigain's flag flew! trekman will have a trip report on the website soon with pics... grey skies everywhere we looked so no confirmation of neighboring peaks. the woodstock koa was surprisingly devoid of fot48ers..nice to see tom...thanks again for the brews and campfire. i was one of many finishing the 48th yesterday on carrigain, i think i counted 8 total, 3 in our fot48 group alone. bittersweet with lack of views, but a worthy day nonetheless with the memorial flag flying for 2 full hours in a light breeze with lots of company. overall a fun, safe hike. thanks again to coordinators for ensuring flags flew, and of course to those coordinating the whole event. ...looking forward to reading reports and seeing photos.

carrigain's flag flew! trekman will have a trip report on the website soon with pics... grey skies everywhere we looked so no confirmation of neighboring peaks. the woodstock koa was surprisingly devoid of fot48ers..nice to see tom...thanks again for the brews and campfire. i was one of many finishing the 48th yesterday on carrigain, i think i counted 8 total, 3 in our fot48 group alone. bittersweet with lack of views, but a worthy day nonetheless with the memorial flag flying for 2 full hours in a light breeze with lots of company. overall a fun, safe hike. thanks again to coordinators for ensuring flags flew, and of course to those coordinating the whole event. ...looking forward to reading reports and seeing photos.
Way to go Dirt!

Madison's flag flew 11:30-2:00, unfortunately obscured in grey clouds and a damp mist. Fortunately, it wasn't until around 2:15 that the mist became rain. :)

We only saw about a dozen other hikers that day, surprising for a Saturday, Fot48, and weather that denied the actual forecast for a sunny day.

the woodstock koa was surprisingly devoid of fot48ers...

We had a nice crowd both Friday and Sat nights at TarryHo. Jim had a nice large fire for us both nights where he offered up several picnic tables to burn along with a ton of wood, so much that this morning there was still a large pile left over.

Sat night for the cookout there were about 50 of us between those camping there and those that stopped by to socialize.

I talked to Jim this morning to see how he felt it went and am happy to say he thought the group was wonderful. He loved that we had decorated the campground with flag, and find hikers in general a nice group of people. We will be able to do it again at TarryHo next year!