Flat Mtn Pond Tr (XC Ski) from Bennett St 2/29/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca M

Reaction score
Special Equipment: Beefy XC skis & skins

Trail Conditions: Trail not broken out across Jose's Bridge. Crossing Jose's Bridge, noted the "use at your own risk - private" sign - very scary on the snow mound on the bridge above the water way below, especially on slippery skis - I edged across sidestepping while holding the railing. Not much evidence of travel up left to Flat Mtn Pond Tr, and trailbreaking was more tiring than expected. About 7" of new snow as of 2/29. Around the Gleason Tr crossing, I noticed snowshoe tracks from a party who must have come down from the shelter and then turned around - I was ecstatic!!! Much easier travel!!!

Comments: Awesome blue sky and calm in the woods!!! I got as far as the horseshoe curve (my goal) and followed the new snowshoe trough across the beaver pond, then took a left to head back down. Don't follow my trail. Near the edge of the bog the snow mounds collapsed and I sank deep into the water/slush/snow despite thinking my skis would support me. It was like a spruce trap only wetter... struggled to get the skis off, myself up out of the snow that seemed kind of quicksand-like. Good thing it was time to take off the skins for descent because they were soaked. Lost a few minutes in the struggle but thankfully all was fine. A nice kick and glide down to the car (5.5 hours, approx 9.5 mi RT).

Your Name: Becca Munroe