Kancamagus Brook Ski Tr, 2/13/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougPaul

Reaction score
Skied Kancamagus Brook Ski Tr on Sunday, 4 years and 2 days since my "little" accident there. (http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15911) Snow conditions were good--several inches of powder (including ~1 inch the night before) over a hard layer. 1+ feet of snow low down and ~3 ft high up. Starting temp 16F, finishing temp 24F. Wax: blue extra. Skis: Tua Escape (camber-and-a-half waxable BC). Solo.

Started out from Depot Camp a little before 10am to sunny skies and good skiing conditions. Headed up Greely Ponds Tr to the junction with Kancamagus Brook Ski Tr where I put skins on. The climb was pleasant, the crossing of Kancamagus Brook was easy, and it clouded up and began to snow very lightly as I ascended. Initially, I was breaking the 1 inch of new snow but after a while a pair passed me and took over breaking duties. I pulled the skins when I reached the top of the climb and skied across the flats to Livermore Trail.

(This next section is specially for grouseking. See "An Adventure Thru Livermore Pass" http://www.vftt.org/forum /showthread.php?t=38994)

When I reached LT, I decided "what the heck" and skied the LT north to the Livermore Pass sign--the snow was unmarked and there were no signs that anyone had passed through recently. The snow was deep enough to cover almost all difficulties--just 2.5 open stream crossings (3 out, 2 back). The route finding was mostly easy but there were a few difficult spots. At the pass, I got off the trail in a open (probably swampy) area, searched around, turned back, and found where the trail had taken a 90 degree turn just before the open area. I then followed the trail (parallel to and just above the swampy area) to the Livermore Pass sign where I turned back. About 45 minutes out and 20 back to the junction with KBST. BTW, the sign for the top end of KBST was missing, but the LT sign at the junction was in place.

I then resumed the loop and skied over to the junction with the Old Skidder Tr where the downhill starts and put on my "crash suit" (more insulation and a shell). The snow was pretty fast (several inches of powder over a hard layer) as it had been on the day of the accident. I could only guess at the accident site (somewhere near midway between the junction with the OST and the turn at the top of the switchback on the LT). (The only sure landmarks would have been the blowdown that bit me and the crash marks in the snow--both of which were long gone.) I looked, but I couldn't find any demons hiding in the snow or behind the trees...

I continued down in the track on the lower angle sections and executing gentle Telemark turns in the powder on the steeper sections. Somewhere below the switchback the hard layer became breakable crust so that I could stay up on top if I kept my weight evenly spread between both skis but broke through if I weighted either ski (for instance when I needed to kick). The breakable crust also made the transitions between the track and the unbroken snow a bit unpredictable. Got to the groomed snow on Livermore Rd and skied the rest of the way out. Just before reaching the parking lot, I met Bob, who used to be the Depot Camp parking lot attendant for the XC ski area. (Some of you may remember him from 5-10? years ago.) Got back to the car ~5pm.

All in all, it was a nice day out playing in the snow.

Doug

Congrats on getting 'back in the saddle' and taking care of any demons lurking about. I've skied the loop a couple of time and my favorite section has always been the top near the frozen ponds.

Congrats on getting 'back in the saddle' and taking care of any demons lurking about. I've skied the loop a couple of time and my favorite section has always been the top near the frozen ponds.
Thanks.

I've been XC, BC, and Tele skiing since 10 months after the accident--this is just my first time repeating the trip. I think I was mostly waiting for good snow conditions to coincide with my being in good enough shape to ski it.

The KBST loop is an old friend--I've done it a number of times in a variety of conditions, sometimes with friends, sometimes solo.

Doug

Allright! Glad you were able to get out there, and thanks for heading up into that same area I explored a few weeks ago! haha It really is a gorgeous area.

I probably didn't go far enough when I was hiking around to find that sign. Oh well. Did you happen to get any new pictures?

Allright! Glad you were able to get out there, and thanks for heading up into that same area I explored a few weeks ago! haha It really is a gorgeous area.
I had been half-wanting to visit that area for quite a while--your trip reminded me of it and the opportunity presented itself...

I probably didn't go far enough when I was hiking around to find that sign. Oh well. Did you happen to get any new pictures?
According to my GPS track, it is ~.6mi from the junction to the Livermore Pass sign.

Yes, I got some pics. Mostly of the loop. The only pic of the side-trip is the LP sign. I'll take a look and see if any are worth posting.

Doug

Last edited:
HI! You mention your skis. What were you using for boots? I am assuming a 3-pin setup? THANKS!!!! Great report!!! --Becca

HI! You mention your skis. What were you using for boots? I am assuming a 3-pin setup? THANKS!!!! Great report!!! --Becca
Boots: Asolo Snowfield II (great boots, unfortunately no longer available) http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/DirtbagPinner/bc-boots.html#snowfield

Bindings: Rottefella Super Tele (heavy duty 3-pin, no cable) http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/DirtbagPinner/bc-bindings.html#pins http://www.rei.com/product/790822

Skis: Tua Escape, 190cm, 65/54/60mm, waxable, ptex base, camber-and-a-half, full metal edges, groove.

I've been using this rig for BC and track skiing for quite a while now. Sometimes I'd like a little more sidecut, but otherwise I'm very happy with it.

Doug

Boots: Asolo Snowfield II (great boots, unfortunately no longer available) http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/DirtbagPinner/bc-boots.html#snowfield

Bindings: Rottefella Super Tele (heavy duty 3-pin, no cable) http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/DirtbagPinner/bc-bindings.html#pins http://www.rei.com/product/790822

Skis: Tua Escape, 190cm, 65/54/60mm, waxable, ptex base, camber-and-a-half, full metal edges, groove.

I've been using this rig for BC and track skiing for quite a while now. Sometimes I'd like a little more sidecut, but otherwise I'm very happy with it.

Doug

Yowser, I cannot believe that it has been four years.

Gotta love Asolo Snowfields, Rottefella"s, and Tua Escape's, a truly classic set up!

Great report, Doug.

The pics are up including details of the Kanc Brk Ski Tr--Livermore Tr junction. The pics are a combination from the 2007 and 2011 trips.

Oops: forgot the URL: http://mysite.verizon.net/dbpwebjunk/kancamagus-brook-tr-2007-2011/index.html

Doug

Last edited:
Doug, it was one of my favorite loops years ago but started to get rather grown in, or rather "blown-down." I'm glad to hear it's in good shape and that you had such an enjoyable day.

Doug, it was one of my favorite loops years ago but started to get rather grown in, or rather "blown-down." I'm glad to hear it's in good shape and that you had such an enjoyable day.
It has generally been in good shape when I have done it. However, one year the rising traverse section hadn't been cleared and I had to work my way around 20-30 blowdowns. There were only two serious blowdowns this time and there were easy routes around both. I think they were also there four years ago--both are pretty large trees.

The route-finding through the swamp has been a minor problem at times due to spruce tree growth, but as long as you have a general idea of where to go it has never been a serious problem.

One year I did it right after a massive ice storm had hit the area. The section from and including the swamp to the Old Skidder Tr junction was heavily iced--the tops of the trees were upside down and in the trail. I had to bushwack in the woods parallel to the trail. Fortunately I was able to exit the ice zone by dark.

I met a pair of skiers while I was putting on my skins--they said that their friend Craig kept the trail cleared. Thanks Craig!

Shall we schedule a return trip for next winter?

Doug

Great pics, Doug! Looks like it was a fun trip. I definitely have to try my hand at the x-country skiing sometime. Thanks for sharing!

Karl

Addendum

Sunday, Feb 20

DebW and I were in the area with a few hours to spare, so we attempted to hike Livermore Tr from the Kanc Hwy at Lilly Pond to the pass (2.1 mi, 800 vert ft). Trail-finding required some care in some spots and we missed the turn in open woods that leads steeply up the hill on the left to access the pass. By the time we backtracked and found the proper route, we had to turn back. (We had a deadline to be somewhere.) Another 15-20 minutes would have put us at the pass. Used snowshoes the entire way.

It was a pleasant hike under blue skies and almost too warm temps (upper 20s). Guess I'll have to complete Livermore Rd/Tr some other day...

Doug