Flume and Liberty

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowbird22

Reaction score
Hey, all

I'm planning a hike on the 24th up there wx permitting. I'm expecting and planning on full winter conditons considering there seems to already be some snow up there. Looking forward to some winter hiking. I'm planning on taking Flume Slide trail up and Liberty Spring down. Now I understand Flume slide has quite a bit of water on it. I'm wondering if anybody knows if you need tactical climbing gear such as ropes, etc to get up there. In other words other than crampons and ice axe will I need anything else. Also, anybody else that has suggestions or tips it would be more than welcome. Ideally we are hoping to start the hike out on bare ground at the base and climb up to the snow. It would make for a very interesting hike from a meteorlogical stand point. thx....

Relax.

There is no snow, not yet. Yesterday I hiked the Bonds and most folks I met were in shorts. Looking at Franconia Ridge there was no snow. I just checked the web cams on Washington - no snow.

Winter hiking this year starts on December 21 at 7:04am.

;)

Yes, we had a little snow on top of Lafayette, Lincoln and Haystack for a few days last week above the 4000' mark - most had melted by Thursday. Liberty and Flume never got any.

Maybe many people asked this question about doing those two summits, but... I'd like to know if it is better to do up by Flume slide TR. and go down by Liberty Spring Tr. I would like to do it this weekend. :confused:
Hey, I am new in the White. :)

Thanks

Hey Yvon,

Flume Slide trail is a great trail to go up, it was one of my favorite in the Whites. It is a good climb, and a lot of fun. We did it with backpacks, so it was a little harder then with day packs. IMO a trail not to be missed, you will enjoy it. :)

Have fun!!

Cindy

Hey thx for the respones, I always end up bringing too much. The reason is that I got burned once winter hiking by not have enough gear and almost got hurt. So there is reason behind my madness:D

If Flume Slide Trail is too slick, there are herd paths in the woods on its left (north). There are some high places on the slide that are kind of difficult to get up. You may remember that a man fell up there last year, hit his head, and had to be carried out, so if something seems iffy, choose prudence.

Maybe many people asked this question about doing those two summits, but... I'd like to know if it is better to do up by Flume slide TR. and go down by Liberty Spring Tr.
If you're doing the loop, definitely go up the Slide. It's one of those "not recommended for descent" trails in the Guide. Very slabby slide, often wet, some spots where you have to pull over fairly tall ledges. But definitely fun :)