? for backpackers: spoon, fork or both

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the starchild

Reaction score
ok, i guess i should have also added spork to the choices!

edit: or a knork!!!

i always just carry a spoon, not ideal for ramen or spagetti, but great for most everything else and i really like carrying only one thing.

i am just curious what most people carry and why?

william

Last edited:
Only spoon. Going for minimum weight. All the extras can add up pretty quick. I find that the noodles are tricky with a spoon, but out in the woods we can forgo the table manners.

both - but they are lexan and weigh about the same as a square of toilet paper (no - I have not weighed them...it is a guess.)
I like the fork for solids and the spoon for slurping everything up...

sapblatt said:
both - but they are lexan and weigh about the same as a square of toilet paper (no - I have not weighed them...it is a guess.)
I like the fork for solids and the spoon for slurping everything up...
I'm with Mike. My spoon and fork weigh about a much as a square of toilet paper. I bring both. Give me a break...

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
I'm with Mike. My spoon and fork weigh about a much as a square of toilet paper. I bring both. Give me a break...

-Dr. Wu
Is that before or after you have put the toilet paper to use?

Personally, I fashion all of my utensils from the forest's bounty.

I guess it all depneds on what you're doing, and who you're hiking with.

What good does lightweight do if you are hiking with someone who is slower than you. The extra weight will slow you down a bit, and you will hike at a speed closer to that of your partner.

If you're hiking with someone faster than you, ask them to carry your fork.

If solo, use your fingers. There'll be nobody to complain about your bad manners.

Fork and spoon. I once forgot both and made a set of chopsticks. Worked quite well, but never repeated it.

peak one titanium spork.....only because it came in my xmas stocking last year, otherwise I'd still be using the $2 EMS spoon/fork on a d ring.

Pete_Hickey said:
There'll be nobody to complain about your bad manners.

Manners? We're supposed to have table manners on the trail? Nobody sent me that memo. ;)

But, no one's complained yet that I shovel my noodles with a spoon and shurlp them up.

BTW, my one giant spoon isn't a nod to the Ultra-Light-Gods. I just don't like to deal with stuff: one pot, one cup, one spoon; lick 'em clean; pack 'em. Easy.