Found Objects

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friend is going to lose me in the woods..for sure....here goes.

Hiking in a group of 4, two of us FOUND a wallet on the trail.
A short time later, one of the other people in the group (not me), coincidentally, LOST their wallet!

We continued on, by request as they started back up where we came from, (a nice bushwhack with gps in hand) retracing steps all the way. No Luck.

We met up again later on.

Again, later on back in the parking lot, we all realized the wallet we FOUND belonged to the person in the group who thought they LOST their wallet.

So, he FOUND it. Indeed. Then we all LOST it.

I'm still laughing.

I lost a digital camera while bushwacking in the woods near Waterville Valley. I figured the chances of finding that camera again, and still have it work were slim. Well I forgot all about it and happen to be in the town building to pay a bill and one of the policeman came over and asked me if I lost a camera. I said I did and he said someone returned it. There are still honest and good people in the world! When I asked how he knew it was mine(no name on the camera) he said he looked at the pictures in the camera and recognized me and my dog--some advantages of living in a really small town.

Keys!

I only found one thing of worth once: keys.

I was hiking the Ammo up Washington on a crowded day. I found some keys, took note of what type they were and put them in my pocket. I wasn't about to ask every person I came across if they lost keys -- instead I was going to drop them off at the mall on top. What was funny though was while I was going up about 100 people were going down. I passed one guy and said hello and then for some impulsive reason said, "lose keys?" He said no but then when he checked he realized he didn't have them. He correctly identified the number of keys on the chain and the type of car keys so I gave them to him. Lucky him! He'd probably be buried up to his neck in an anthill, dead, if it weren't for me!! :D

-Dr. Wu

I love wooden sticks for hiking sticks, dont like the new fancy metal poles. At the trailhead last week on crane, I saw a nice stick leaning against the sign in. I thought mighty long about walking off with it, but alas I couldn't bring myself to do it. Someone might be looking for it. :eek:

Adk_dib said:
.... At the trailhead last week on crane, I saw a nice stick leaning against the sign in. I thought mighty long about walking off with it, but alas I couldn't bring myself to do it. Someone might be looking for it. :eek:
Interesting. If I'm hiking, and find a nice stick along the way, after teh hike, I will leave it at the trailhead for someone else.

Then I will come back in a month, looking for the stick, so that I can ask the stick about all the people who took it for a walk.

I found a nice stick for this past weekend while rock hopping down Jumping Brook.....I hid it behind a tree on the East Side Trail for my next adventure out that way.:) I don't share my sticks...If I did, I'd have to clean and disinfect them the next time.....wouldn't I? :D

I'm glad there's someone else here who talks with inanimate objects.

I've found a few knives, mostly during early spring trips when the snow is melting.

I've also found an assortment of clothing - hats, gloves, jackets. I leave them where they are or stick them someplace they can be easily seen.

Tons of fishing lures, hooks, and bobbers around remote lakes, usually found by kids. Those are usually rusty and get packed back as trash.

Iodine at lakes and stream crossings. Those get left.

I leave the beer and soda found in streams.

A few times I've found canned food and clothes on the ridge between Flume and Lincoln.

Anyway, I wonder why so many knives have been lost. What are people doing with their swiss army knives that they are lost so often? I find that mine (Micra actually) usually stays buried in the first aid kit.

dr_wu002 said:
... has anybody ever found a piece of gear on the trail and when nobody claimed it, used it for their own?

I "recycle" a lot of found bits and pieces I have about 5 complete nesting fork/knife/spoon sets I've found over the years as well as carabiners, straps, flashlights, etc. A lot of my repair parts are trail findings. Never leave something on the ground that might be useful.

In an area that I frequent, that doesn't get much traffic, I find a nice hiking staff. I placed it next to a trail intersection sign so it could be seen. Went up there a few weeks later, and it was still there. I then considered it "mine" and used it for a few years.

How to stash beer properly

blacknblue said:
.... and there were probably some ticked-off hikers at the end of the day because somebody took their beer. :rolleyes:

Me and some friends once came back to the trailhead after a brutal hike to discover that somebody had taken the six-pack that we had sunk in the river that morning, including the mesh sleeping bag sack that we had put them in and tied off to a tree.

The fact that they were unopened didn't tip you off??

I guess this leads to the question - When is it okay to assume that somebody is not coming back for their bandana/watch/Nalgene/beer/hiking pole?

It was obvious. They were spread out over a mile of river, no two cans even near each other. The color of the cans was faded by the sun.

A beer lover must properly stash the treasure to protect against the unthinkable. Always stack rocks carefully around and on top of the beer, ensuring that the current or passers-by don't strike disaster. ;)

A gnome would never steal beer. :)

Happy Trails!

forestnome said:
It was obvious. They were spread out over a mile of river, no two cans even near each other. The color of the cans was faded by the sun.

A beer lover must properly stash the treasure to protect against the unthinkable. Always stack rocks carefully around and on top of the beer, ensuring that the current or passers-by don't strike disaster. ;)

A gnome would never steal beer. :)

Happy Trails!
Gotcha. Glad you aren't the guy who took my beer! It's been a man-with-six-fingers quest of mine for years now. ;)