Found Objects

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tent poles in a bag, eventually returned. Hiking poles, found near ADK LOJ, eventually returned. Single pole, on the trail, returned to owner later that same day, while still on the trail.

Seems like we find stuff all the time. I must have a million tent stakes left at various campsites.Of course I donated most of mine in a blizzard on Hancock a while ago. Found a multi-tool and a Nalgene on the Rattle River Trail. The Nalgene had a logo on it but I couln't find any info on line. It must be a cosmic thing though,as I lost my multi tool later on.
Of course there's the assortment of hats and gloves.
The strangest find had to be a brand new womens bathing suit at the 19 Mile Brook trailhead-in winter! Anybody for a mid winter dip? Stranger still,it fit my wife perfectly and she really likes it.
In nine years of backpacking we have lost 1 multitool,and 1 pair of gloves. The tentstakes,I gave up rather than try to recover them in the blizzard. Anybody here find them on the N.Hancock summit?

August...lost sunglasses into the drink at Big Niagara Falls in BSP.
October...found sunglasses coming off Washington on Jewell Trail.
March...bought sunglasses and lost them the next day somewhere on Pierce or Eisenhower.

Noticing a trend. I need a piece of yarn.

Now that I think about it, I did find a very old pair of glacier goggles at the Wallface Lean-to a few years ago. I think the case had a last name written on it. When we headed out, we checked the trail register and found the name and phone number - I called and found it was indeed this person's goggles (actually an antique set, that had been passed on) through the family. I mailed them off straightway.

I didn't know it then, but as it turns out, it was our very own JimB, IIRC his son was using them.

Last edited:
I'm a loser.

I think I'm more of the guy who donates on the trail. If I'm dumb enough to lose it, I accept that it is pretty much finders-keepers.

Since taking this hobby up I've lost the following stuff. I'm including locations if you have keen eyes and feel up for a scavenger hunt. Running low on gear? Just follow me up the trail. Within a year or two, I can probably supply you with all you need. ;)

-Nalgene bottle somewhere between Zeacliff and Zealand.

-Disposable camera on Monadnock (red spot trail)

-Thermos, Wallet, Bandana, and cup on Tecumseh trail (learned the hard way that swiss-bobs and crampons don't mix.) The upper part of the trail near the slopes.

-A small green stone with the word "remember" carved into it. Lost around 3 miles up the Valley Way trail from Appalachia. This is the least 'valuable', but the one that bugs me most. I would put a $50 reward on this one. My friend had broken his ankle and passed out. I guess it got lost in the shuffle.

-Most recently an REI monocular on the Barlow trail on Kearsarge. If you find it, let me know. I'll give you the useless nylon case.

I also lost my lunch and my composure on South Twin, but that probably doesn't count.

Someones equipment stash

About five years ago while hiking around in the area of Square Ledge (Sandwich) I noticed a climbing rope hanging off the cliff of Sq Ledge. Climbed to the top of Sq Ledge on the trail and saw no one. Disn't think much about it and went home. About a week later I was headed back in to the area so I stopped at the USFS station on the Kanc and reported the abandoned rope and some new bolts that had been placed and left. The ranger on duty told me that they had a summer ranger in there that morning and they would radio her and tell her about the rope. I hiked in and met the ranger who had been searching around and had not found anything. At this time we were on top of the ledges and within about 5 minutes I located two large waterproofs full of climbing and camping gear under some brush, and a rope tied to a tree and hanging down the cliff. The base of the tree had been covered with brush to hide the rope. She insisted that we gather everything up and pack it out. We did and she left in her truck with the stuff. I eventually made it out to my car and went to the Ranger Station. Upon my arrival I discovered her and others apparently looting the contents of the packs. I went inside and complained, got blown off so I left totally disgusted with the behavior of those "summer temporary rangers". Whether it is illegal to cache your climbing gear or not, I don't know but I have been torqued off about it ever since.

Found Stuff

Well, I have found some stuff along the trails and with the advent of this new fangled internet thing I have been able to return an item or two to it's proper owner. For Example; I once found a backpack cover along the bushwhack range and it was put up on a site (this one I believe) and the guy actually got in touch with me and as I turned out he lived only blocks from me in good old NYC, where I live. But a hand carved hiking stick left at my camp last year has yet to be claimed. It's in my umbrella stand, waiting for you.

That said- I do have a few things in my kit that were originally found along the trail- but they are things that people tend to loose all the time. Like water bottles. In fact, I have not bought a new water-bottle in ages. ;) Which brings up one of my pet theories: that there some things that we have only for a short time and then they pass on- as if they have a will and fate of their own. Umbrellas are a good example, nalgene bottle are too. We don't purchase these objects as much as rent them.

As for eating foods found along the trail or in shelters...Hell yes. Especially along the AT. There are informal "food boxes" to be found. Like in the hikers building in Pinkham Notch. Also, lazy people are always leaving their "extra" food at shelters so they don't have to carry it out. But then, someone has to feed the shelter mice. ;) I help out by carrying out this food in my tummy. :D

Good thread- I have enjoyed this subject..it has brought up alot of memories and reminded me of how the world moves in mysterious ways and how we are sometimes the agents of fate.

Last fall, I was bushwacking down from somewhere on the Sandwich Range and came into the Oliverian Brook for the last two miles out. I saw a Bud Light can in the river; "what a pig", I thought to myself. :mad: I waded in to retrieve it and found it was full. :) After hiking all day on a beautiful autumn afternoon, bleeding and exhausted and happy, it was quite welcomed. It was the most I've ever enjoyed this type of beer. Then I crushed it and added to my trash collection of the day and proceeded. Moments later, another can in the river...it was full!!! Drink, crush and stash, proceed. This continiued for another mile as I hauled in nine beers. :)

Happy Trails!

forestnome said:
Last fall, I was bushwacking down from somewhere on the Sandwich Range and came into the Oliverian Brook for the last two miles out. I saw a Bud Light can in the river; "what a pig", I thought to myself. :mad: I waded in to retrieve it and found it was full. :) After hiking all day on a beautiful autumn afternoon, bleeding and exhausted and happy, it was quite welcomed. It was the most I've ever enjoyed this type of beer. Then I crushed it and added to my trash collection of the day and proceeded. Moments later, another can in the river...it was full!!! Drink, crush and stash, proceed. This continiued for another mile as I hauled in nine beers. :)

Happy Trails!

I bet there's going to be record crowds doing that hike this year. Sounds like trail magic or maybe river magic.

McRat said:
-A small green stone with the word "remember" carved into it. Lost around 3 miles up the Valley Way trail from Appalachia. This is the least 'valuable', but the one that bugs me most. I would put a $50 reward on this one. My friend had broken his ankle and passed out. I guess it got lost in the shuffle.
At least you didn't "forget" it somewhere! ;)

Found : Nalgene between near whiteface. A headlamp on Moosilauke. A filthy disgusting sock with nearly $300 stuffed inside on Crawford path. I posted signs asking if anyone lost a sock at several trail heads, no replies.

Lost : Brand spankin' new red nalgene on welch dickey last winter....bummer.

Hey Forestnome
Dude, you totally reminded me...lots of alcohol found in the woods, and drunk with pleasure...thank you very much.

Once I got a late start and figured to purchase some brew in the last town before heading in- it was spring and I always like a cool one in the woods the frist excellent trip out. But the town was shut down- no beer. The next day we roll in to a leanto to discover the better part of a six pact. It was only bud and not cold- but I had my spring beer. Thank you to the hiking deities.

Yeah- it seems that rivers and streams are good places to come upon the stray beer- but ski moble trails in the summer can also yield a can or two ;)- tyh ebest drink I ever had was after a rugged three day trip from a sunfaded can of skunk bud found near Katerskill High Peak- but a beer never tasted better. :D

forestnome said:

Happy Trails!

.... and there were probably some ticked-off hikers at the end of the day because somebody took their beer. :rolleyes:

Me and some friends once came back to the trailhead after a brutal hike to discover that somebody had taken the six-pack that we had sunk in the river that morning, including the mesh sleeping bag sack that we had put them in and tied off to a tree.

The fact that they were unopened didn't tip you off??

I guess this leads to the question - When is it okay to assume that somebody is not coming back for their bandana/watch/Nalgene/beer/hiking pole?

blacknblue said:
The fact that they were unopened didn't tip you off??

I guess this leads to the question - When is it okay to assume that somebody is not coming back for their bandana/watch/Nalgene/beer/hiking pole?
I think in Forestnome's case the beer cans were floating down the river. I don't think the people were coming back for those...

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
I think in Forestnome's case the beer cans were floating down the river. I don't think the people were coming back for those...

-Dr. Wu

My apologies if I misunderstood, and I never meant it quite so pointed or personal. I guess I've had stuff swiped by people a little too eager to help on "litter control."

About 15 years ago, someone "found" my sleeping bag that was attached to my pack sitting outside the Lakes of the Clouds hut. I was really :mad: :mad: :mad: to find it gone.

Single beers floating in a stream, sounds like fair game to me. I wouldn't touch a 6 pack unless I was severely dehydrated. ;)