Four Days in the Forest, NEHH 94-98 - June, 2009: Part I

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
Whenever I've put in for time off from work far in advance to do some peakbagging, its always been a crap shoot. I am feeling very grateful for the time I have just had in the woods. I think I will tell my story in reverse.

Mendon Peak, Vermont, Monday June 8, 2009: New England Hundred Highest No. 98

It can be a challenge to find people to hike with on Mondays, especially when you tell them they need to meet you in Vermont to bushwack. Today was a very special day for me because it signified the first time Silverfox and I have hiked together since his knee replacement. It was also special, because I lived for 1.5 years in Vermont and spent alot of time exploring the Rutland Wild Forest, though ironically, never summitted Mendon although I had walked the Killington Carriage road and passed the cairns before.

Turning onto Wheelerville Rd, I saw Terra perk up and I could feel her excitement, we'd spent many a day after work running on this road and exploring the herdpaths that lead off from the many forest service gates along its length. Many a summer night I'd head back down Wheelerville under a blanket of stars. Gotta love those long summer days. :)

I met Silverfox at the civilized time of 10:00am at the Bucklin Trailhead. We headed out through the gate onto the wide jeep road, passing Brad's Two Holer, then stopping in the field to allow my GPS to link up. The four crossings of the brook were easy and we kept our feet dry.

We had BobandGeri's map, so there really was no reason to question a summit today. :D A GPS point on the summit and some of MichaelJ's memories of the whack when he did it with Mnt Drew and MEB, and a couple of VFTT trail conditions reports from last month indicating the cairns were still there -- quite a good bit of beta.

We started the bushwack taking a 233 magnetic shortly after the second cairn, and quickly found a nice herdpath, which we followed to the summit of Mendon.

ry%3D480

The path lightened significantly after the false summit, and proceded to the southern viewpoint just below Mendon's summit. The herdpath was a bit squirrely at the summit, and we may have endured a scratch or two finding the cannister.

Silverfox checks out a view of Killington just below the false summit of Mendon.
ry%3D400

Silverfox on Mendon, way to go! He thinks its ~#84/NEHH for him.
ry%3D480

Self portrait
ry%3D480

The journal in Mendon's cannister goes back to 2002. I love reading the entries, my favorite went something like this; "I have Mendonitis and I plan to return here again and again". :) I would agree, I have Mendonitis....beautiful woods!

We deviated slightly from the herdpath on our way out, cutting down to the carriage road a bit sooner on our way out, and ran across a Moose carcass. We had been commenting along the way, that we were seeing alot of moose dung, but that it was older. The old resident moose appeared to have layed down in his moose yard for his final rest. Coyotes had done thier work and returned his flesh to the lifecycle of the forest. Terra sniffed a few places and then proceeded to leave her mark in the form of pee-mail. A large circular grey fur pile, maybe 12 feet in diameter lay next to some blowdown. Bones were scattered about 20 feet in all directions. It was a bit sobering. We shared a moment thinking about the life of this moose, and headed out, reaching the carriage road not far from where we entered.

A great day in the woods with Silverfox and Terra. I could barely keep up with them on the way out!

Scar Ridge, Sunday June 7, NEHH No. 97:

MichaelJ, Terra and I met Rocket21 at Half Baked and Fully Brewed in Lincoln sunday morning. We spotted two moose on the Kanc on our way over; one elderly matron who looked thin from winter and one yearling who chased alongside my car.

We were taking the "easy way" to Scar Ridge, an approach that MJ, Amicus et all had taken the year before. We hiked to the top of Walking Boss, a ski trail in the Loon ski area. The climb was long, hot and we were constantly pushing the black flies away.
ry%3D400

After a nice break in the shade of the Quad, we took as side trip over to North Loon Peak on a well established herdpath that enters the woods from the Sunset ski trail.

We took our last sightline the ridge of Black Mountain, and headed into the woods, quickly finding a backcountry skier's herdpath. We stayed on this path until we reached a col, and then began the bushwack.
ry%3D400

The climb is neither long nor steep, but its pretty non descript. The spruce ranges from five feet to six feet tall, so for much of the whack I could see nothing but spruce. We were wacking alongside MichaelJ's track from the previous year, but no real herdpath has formed. We hit several blowdown patches, like this one:
ry%3D400

The blackflies were brutal. We found a light herdpatbh about 1/10 mile below the summit cannister. I can't really say I enjoyed this bushwack. It began with hobblebush, proceeded to spruce, and we didn't encounter any interesting woods or geologic features along the way. Although I am grateful to have been shown the easy way, because I understand that the other two approaches are hellacious. A special thanks to MichaelJ, I don't think I'd return to this peak so I really feel the LOVE! And another big thanks to Rocket21 who could have been hiking to a summit with a beautiful view on this fine sunny day! Good friends! Its bushwacks like this that make me question my interest in the NHHH!

Terra had fun, regardless!
ry%3D400

A brief visit with SSmith at the Mountain Wanderer, the best way to finish off any trip to NH. :)

Last edited:
Nice job, congrats on Mendon! Thank you for letting me join you guys this weekend!

Great trip report and pics! Congratulations, too, on knocking these peaks off your list. I was glad to be able to accompany you on Scar Ridge, even though it was such a pain. Hopefully I don't always cause you such grief!

I really mean it this time, though: I'm not going back to Scar Ridge again. :)

Earlier I posted a thread with the video of the moose yearling, and I'll add to this thread my pics from Scar tonight or tomorrow.

I really mean it this time, though: I'm not going back to Scar Ridge again. :)

You really intend to abandon UD on her quest for those other two Scar Ridge peaks, which are among the NHHH, I believe - her next challenge? They're even more fun, by all accounts. :)

I liked that mossy summit plateau of the "true" western bump (vs. the discredited eastern bump that has the traditional canister), but agree that the 'whack itself is not all that interesting. I preferred Walking Boss, with its views, and the summit of No. Loon.

I give hearty kudos to those who stick it out for the full Scar Traverse. I've heard a couple of discouraging accounts of that journey!!!

I agree, Amicus, the summit is pretty. Kinda reminds me of Owl's Head.

Thanks for joining us, Rocket, anytime!!

It was indeed my pleasure to get out in the woods with you and terra on monday for Mendon..

pretty nice peak..good views..nice varied but open woods..great company..

the miles sure flew by as the pace was good and the conversation lively

what's not to like??

Its bushwacks like this that make me question my interest in the NHHH!

Well, I'm glad that I'm not alone in my opinion on "Still Got My Scars" Ridge. MJ and Amicus make it sound like a leisurely stroll in the woods with their "Magic Line" :p

Fantastic job on knocking down so many peaks in recent days. Wow, 98 out of 100 :cool:. Great pix on these two hikes and the others as well. Thanks to Rocket21 for posting that picture of you reading a laminated page on the PAtN canister on that other TR. Glad it was still there.

Best of luck with you on the remaining two!

Marty

IMO Scar is best done from the Kanc

For me the route up Scar Ridge fom Kanc offers what you were missing coming up from the west. This route takes you up the knife edge spur ridge runs between two awesome ravines. These are the two big ravines you see whenever you view Scar Ridge from the north. At number of points the knife edge is 3-4' wide and you can see cliffs off to right and left. Unfortunately you never really get good views into the ravines, but you know they are there. Spruce gets pretty thick on the spur ridge, but it can be pushed through. Guiding rule on this route is to stay on top of the ridge even though the thick spruce is encourages you to go right. Going right just takes you to even steeper stuff to get back up on the knife edge.

From what I hear is better than the route along east ridge which I hear is just endless series of blowdown patches.

For me the route up Scar Ridge fom Kanc offers what you were missing coming up from the west. .

Sounds great....did I mention I *never* intend to return to W Peak Scar Ridge??? :D:D

In all seriousness, the route from Loon is not bad at all, its basically just boring with a capital B. And I like steeps and interesting terrain. For those who do enjoy gentle approaches, the Magic Line is a good way to go. I wish we'd had time to include a side trip to Black Mntn.

SSmith described to us a slide approach that sounded actually pretty interesting, though....maybe??

Last edited:
Mendon and new knees!

Mendon sounds like a great trip. You didn't mention rain while it rained here most of the day. Wish I could have joined you! Aren't we all pleased with Silverfox and his new knee?

Grumpygran

your funny, sabrina. you lay low for awhile.. and then you decide "i need to finish off the this list or that list" and then it's no holds bar. it cracks me up. just like our adirondack back-to-back-to-back weekends in the fall a year or so ago when you decided it was time to finish off the 46. it's like go big or go home. or binge hiking..

i'll think of a good term. ;)

gratz on being almost done. :)

MJ and Amicus make it sound like a leisurely stroll in the woods with their "Magic Line" :p

Actually, it was - in July 2007 - and McRat, SteveHiker and Pamola (who played a big role in tracing it to the top) can bear us out. These things do change - a few blowdowns in the interim would make a difference - but that line we took made for a far easier hike for me than some of the Maine bushwhacks among the NEHH, and one no more challenging than PatN or Vose Spur (which weren't very challenging).

That said, I agree with Jazzbo that "easier" doesn't mean "better," although I am a bit skeptical about the charms of ravines you can't see. :) I happen to be more partial than many to hiking up and down ski trails, even relatively steep ones like Walking Boss, which is a Blue for the lower half, Black for the upper. I like the open spaces, the fine views and the absence of shin-stabs and eye-pokes.

In any case, I don't see myself returning to Scar Ridge West. Now those other two....

UnaD - you're bound to appreciate COP Snow and Goose Eye all the more!