Frontpack?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I already have a heavy pack on my front, and I can't seem to get rid of it. :D

I do use and enjoy using a Dana Designs Wet Rib, which is a small front pack, but that's more for convenience of getting to snacks, camera, map, etc. and not for any kind of weight balance.

I use a front pack for carrying my camera equipment and while the load balance is a noticeable improvement, sometimes it can get in the way during steep sections; you know, when the only way up a tough ledge with 50 lbs on your back is by doing the seal wuggle.

Oh, that reminds me - a front pack makes it impossible to see your own feet. This can be a little annoying when descending, trying to find footing. It can also make water crossings nearly impossible. I had to cross a stream on a narrow log, and seeing the running water but not my feet I couldn't keep my balance to save my life. I had to remove the pack and toss it across ahead of me in order to proceed.

I strap my camera bag to the front of my chest as well, it makes it a lot more convenient to take pictures however I do notice that when I try to hike fast it gets a little annoying bouncing around AND it definitely holds in a LOT more heat, which can work in both ways depending on the conditions of course. I also find that a lot of sweat drains onto the bag from my head which has certainly contributed to the amount of corrosion on my camera - amazing it still works actually....

I've done it by putting a small daypack on my front while carrying a large pack on my back for short distances. It carries well, but it is hot and I could not see my feet. OK for short distances on good footing, but no thanks otherwise.

Doug

bubba said:
the counterweight concept is very interesting.
Try it for a short distance*--the counterweight part works. A lot less strain on the back and you don't have to lean as far forward to balance the weight. If it weren't for the other problems, it might be practical.

* You don't need any special gear to try it--a large pack worn normally and a small daypack worn backwards is all you need. (Put the big pack on first.)

Doug

We used to do something similar in the military with backpacks, put the front pack on first and the straps from the rear pack would hold it in place. The front pack was a regular backpack, not a fanny pack, just wanted to add that.

It did make for awkward going, but it was easy to get used to.

I also have a Dana Design Wet Rib and love it, although I primarily only use it in colder seasons due to the extra weight. It's very handy and has held up well after 6 or 7 years of service.

UNFROZENCAVEMAN said:
I strap my camera bag to the front of my chest as well... I also find that a lot of sweat drains onto the bag from my head which has certainly contributed to the amount of corrosion on my camera - amazing it still works actually....
I know what you speak of. I went out of my way (way out of my way) to find a camera case that mounted vertically on the shoulder strap so it would mostly be out of the line of fire (sweat drops.) I say way out of my way because I couldn't find one to fit the camera I had so I bought the case I wanted and then bought a camera to fit inside of it. It's just a P&S (Canon A570IS) and this might not work with a dSLR. I'm not sure I could ever carry a dSLR conveniently without totally destroying the carrying case and/or camera.

Tim

I have worn a daypack on my front, as others have said, you lose your feet. Maybe that is what it feels to be expecting. :p

How about a headpack?

chiquita_banana.gif

Jay

For several years now I have used a “holster” for my large single lens reflex camera. The holster connects to pack shoulder straps and rides on my chest-belly. Mine happens to be made by Kinesis Photo Gear, but there are other, similar brands available.

The camera body I lug in this contraption alone weighs about 3 lb, and the accessory lenses plus a flash unit and extra batteries that it accommodates come to another 3-4 lb, so the load is not inconsequential. It carries very, very comfortably, and keeps my photo gear right at hand.

However (and this is a big “however”), I find the setup awkward when negotiating rougher trails or terrain. Wearing it, I feel like Mae West, and cannot see my feet (my own ample belly is enough of a view-blocker in this respect, I think). So, when the footing is iffy I often find myself pulling the chest pack to one side or another to check where the old footsies are getting planted.

On well-groomed, clear, boulevard-like trails my chest pack setup is fine. It does not please me as well in places like the Adirondacks.

G.

I also wear my camera bag on front, since I have a lightweight (but slightly boxy) digital ultrazoom [When I had a heavier 35 mm, I strapped it diagonally, to keep the weight from pulling my neck forward].

To counter the "bounce", I resort to negative compaign---- er, I thread my pack's cross-chest strap through the camera bag's waist-belt sleeve.

MR

I guess it depends on the use.. for myself i bought a pack with pockets in the waist band which i carry my camera and snacks, easy to get to and dont interfear with walking or climbing. This feature to me was a huge plus..Just so happened the pack fit like a latex glove, perfect fit....2 birds with one stone. BTW the pack is an osprey from that big named brand store in hearded malls :D

trailbiscuit said:
If you need a pack on the front as well as on the back, maybe you're carrying too much. Just throwing that out there. (Although, if you have a "real" camera, it does make sense to have it up front.)

My arms don't articulate far enough to reach around, open and rummage through my backpack for my camera.
I'm sure "Doc-Oc" (from "Spiderman II") could do so - but he might have trouble with the tiny pre-focus button. :)

Could put the camera in the top (flap) pocket, but then there are low-hanging limbs to worry about. Bottom line: I like my camera immediately accessible, if only so as to spend minimal time catching up with others after a shot.

As for distributing load front vs back, that's not my field of expertise.

MR