Gaiters for New England

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChacoTaco

Reaction score
Got some pretty nice boots this weekend and want to get some good gaiters to wear with them in deep snow. Any suggestion?

I'll third the recommendation for OR brand gaiters. :)

I have some OR gaiters that wore out at the neoprene foot strap, so I'm going to call the company since VFTT members say they've been able to get the gaiters replaced when this happens.

Still, a pair of RABs caught my eye and they fit me much better than any of the current OR's so I got them. The fit may be a guy/girl issue, I don't know. Cheaper ($40), and they have a zipper plus Velcro, a really sturdy looking instep strap, and the strap has buckles on both sides and is easily replaceable. I'll report on how they're doing.

All the other RAB clothing is very expensive, so I was surprised at the nice price of the gaiters.

RAB makes good gear. I like OR gaiters as their customer service is fantastic.
They replaced my shortie gaiters when the strap wore thru, even though I just called them to see if they would mail me some straps that I could sew on.

I spoke with their product design manager a couple of years ago and told him that my pair of croc gaiters was too wide and loose at the top and would slide down during the day. Made some design suggestions. He asked for exact height and leg diameter and they sent a replacement pair, custom sized.

Alan

neoprene

we have three pairs of OR crocodile gaiters and none of them have a neoprene strap. do they make them with neoprene now?

Another fan of the OR. And mine came with a spare pair of straps I've carried in my pack for years and never needed. I guess they're neoprene (black rubbery material over fabric). The straps hold up quite well though I only wear the tall gaiters when there's a good amount of snow. Lowers on the gaiters are a bit scarred from crampons but no holes clear through.

we have three pairs of OR crocodile gaiters and none of them have a neoprene strap. do they make them with neoprene now?

They do. If you graduate to the Expedition Crocs (as opposed to just the Crocs) the Expedition version has a field-replaceable strap. The Expeditions are made of a bit heavier material, and come in larger sizes to anticipate large cold-weather boots.

The first gaiters I bought when I got into hiking were the Crocs, and they've been patched countless times. I also have a pair of the Expedition, the Rocky Mtn (the low one, am on my 3rd pair) and just added the Verglas, which is lighter-weight tall gaitor.

OR makes good stuff.

I went with a pair of gaiters from Mountain Hardware. The reason I went with this style was that, at the top of the gaiters there is a zipper about 4 inches long (from the top under the draw string) that runs down the gaiter away from the main closing of the gaiter, with a velcro strip just under the draw string. It allows me to open the gaiter to let air circulate into my legs if I find legs overheating. There is a mesh pad under the opening that keeps debris out.

I have had many comments on them and questions asking where to get them. I paid $90. for them but they are worth it!

Finally got the 'boards' on this morning and tooled through the orchards behind the house. I adjusted the straps from plastics to my light touriing boots (I have the 'Big Crocs') and once again appreciated the spats (I bought them during post divorce poverty and had to give some things up, but no regrets). The others look good too.

I went with a pair of gaiters from Mountain Hardware. The reason I went with this style was that, at the top of the gaiters there is a zipper about 4 inches long (from the top under the draw string) that runs down the gaiter away from the main closing of the gaiter, with a velcro strip just under the draw string. It allows me to open the gaiter to let air circulate into my legs if I find legs overheating. There is a mesh pad under the opening that keeps debris out.

I have had many comments on them and questions asking where to get them. I paid $90. for them but they are worth it!

I bought that same gaitor and destroyed it in one winter, my first and last mountain hardware purchase.

I’m on my third pair of OR crocodile gaiters. I did send back the second pair after my crampons ripped a hole in them and OR sent me a new pair for free. My current pair has lasted me two more winters and I recently had to do a repair job of stitching and stapling. I do not feel it is right to ask for another free pair, so at the end of this winter season I will purchase a new pair. I never leave home without my OR's.