Garfield

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Z

Reaction score
I am thinking Mt Garfield one day next week.
Any comments on the conditions would be fun.
Also parking?
Thanks
Mike z

Moderator Note
I moved this thread from General Backcountry to Q&A New England, a better home for it.

I am new here and so far both of my posts have been moved by the moderators.
I'll get it sooner or later.
I better stick to hiking.

Also parking?
Thanks
Mike z

I'm there this weekend and could provide specifics Saturday pm.

FWIW: I think the Moderators some times over-think Post Positions. It doesn't mean you did anything wrong.

Thanks Chip.
Can't wait for the report.
I am thinking Thursday this coming week.

I'm thinking to ski it early next week, if conditions allow. I can post a report after that.

--Carla

I only hope to snowshoe it.
Where do you ski it?
I better get out more.
The Mt Garfield Trail, except for the last bit, is a graded path*--you ski it.

* At least it used to be a graded path until they installed the new start. The old start is easier to ski as long as the stream is adequately bridged.

Doug

It's a big stream ... I have explored the old start on snowshoes a couple of times and heard ominous cracking sounds on the ice leading to a hasty retreat.
I've both crossed it when the ice was thick enough and turned around when it wasn't.

The new start avoids the crossing, but is harder to ski--a few spots may require popping the skis and walking.

Doug

Also parking?
Thanks
Mike z

Trudeau Rd & Rt 3: There's parking for about 7 cars at the northwest corner of that intersection.
1/4 mile west on Rt 3, just over the Gale River, on the south side is more parking and the entrance to Gale River Loop Rd.
You walk a little over a mile (crossing the river again) on the closed Loop Rd to the new trailhead for Garfield Trail.
There hasn't been any real snow here in a couple weeks, so the trail is solid. Unless there's snow this week you'd really only need traction.
The only mistake you could make is if you parked at Trudeau Rd and crossed the street and headed towards Gale River Trail instead of walking the 1/4 west on 3 to that end of the Loop Rd.