Get Ready to Get Dirty -Trailwrights on the North Twin Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennS

Reaction score
Hal Graham suggested to me that we make a Trailwrights work trip on my and MtnDaves adopted trail, the North Twin Trail. That was like having Bill Belichick offering to coach your Pop Warner team. I quickly took him up on his offer. The only thing left to do was to scope the project, pick a date and assemble a crew. The objective for the day would be erosion control in the part of the trail between the 2nd and 3rd water crossings. Why that area? Well, it needs work and it’s relative easy to get to. Easy is the key word. The thought of carrying a pack, an 18 lb rock bar and a shovel any higher on the NTT was enough to make me cry. So, I suggested that area.

Seven of us met at the North Twin Trail head on Saturday. At the trailhead, we meet a group from Hike-NH getting ready to head off for HardcoreIdiots NH 48 completion (Congratulations) We made good time to the work site making both crossings of the Little River with dry feet. Our intrepid crew quickly attacked several muddy areas. In what seemed like an instant, several areas were hardened with step stones.

Before:
12%20%20Before%20-%20Trail%20work%20on%20No%20Twin.jpg

After:
13%20%20After%20-%20Trail%20work%20on%20No%20Twin.JPG

Another part of the crew began installing the first of 6 rock steps

Before:
1%20%20Slope%20Before.jpg

3%20%20Trail%20work%20on%20No.%20Twin%20003.jpg

4%20%20Trail%20work%20on%20No.%20Twin%20004.jpg

After
6%20After%20-%20Trail%20work%20on%20No%20Twin.JPG

Finally, we replaced a poorly placed log water bar with a new, improved rock water bar.

Before
8%20Before%20-%20Waterbar%204%20inches%20wide.jpg

9%20%20Trail%20work%20on%20No.%20Twin%20005.jpg

After
11%20%20After%20-Trail%20work%20on%20No.%20Twin%20007.jpg

At the end of the day, we stepped back, admired our work and began the long, arduous trek back to the trail head via the herd path that bypassed the crossings. (the trail was nicer)

We got a lot done with a limited crew. Thanks to Hal and Peggy and to all who came out and helped.

Pic’s are here:

Check out the Trailwrights site at http://www.trailwrights.org. We’re planning a trip on the Mt Pemi. Trail on Sept. 25th and Artist Bluff/Bald Mtn on Oct. 9th. We’d love to see you there.

Last edited:
Thank you and Well Done!

We were on that portion of the trail on Sunday and noticed all your hard work! Thank you!

Trailwrights A+.

Interesting how so often you fing good mineral soil just under the back organic muck on the surface. If any volunteer crew can resolve erosion problems into stable solutions, it is Trailwrights Inc. Leaders of 30+ years experience, crew active since 1987. Since 1982 they have taught me much.
I encourage anyone wanting to lear rockwork to join them. Teaching and results A+.
Creag Nan Drochaid

Trailwrights is the reason I started doing trail work back in the early-mid 90s. When I first completed the Trailwrights 72 list, one had also to do 72 hours of trail work in order to "qualify" and receive their patch. :rolleyes: I presume (hope) this is still the case. The result was my adoption of a section of the Appalachian Trail (Rt. 25C to Mt. Mist) which I maintained for many years. Trailwrights was the "push" that got me going.

Now, my trail work is confined to local paths in the Ojai, California, mountains where we put on a 100-mile running event every March. We usually sponsor 3-4 work trips in the winter (you can do that in winter in SoCal).

Thanks Trailwrights!

Thanks for the nice comments. It's nice to look back at the end of the day and realize that the rocks we placed will probably be there until the next ice age. :cool:

At the end of our trip, we didn't completely finish putting in steps on the section of trail we were working. I went up the trail the other day and found MtnDave (and Coco) finishing the work. Dave put in three more steps and a water bar on his own. Thanks Dave, that was Awesome work!!! :D

Trailwrights is the reason I started doing trail work back in the early-mid 90s. When I first completed the Trailwrights 72 list, one had also to do 72 hours of trail work in order to "qualify" and receive their patch. :rolleyes: I presume (hope) this is still the case.

This is still the case. You also need 3 work trips with Trailwrights. That might have something to do with the fact that there are less than 20 finishers.

Happy Trails,
Glenn, TW 71/72

Finishing

Thanks Dave bet you had fun.
Stinkyfeet:Yes 72 documented hours are required.Of those 72, 3 days are required with Trailwrights. I tried to get 72 days but that was voted down;)
Can't underatand why:D

The before & after shots are great, they really lend perspectice to the amount of work volunteer trailworkers do!