Getting the "Striking" Views of Franconia Ridge (Saturday, 17-Oct-2009)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Over the years I suspect that trees now partially obstruct the view of the Franconia Notch from Mt. Pemigewasset which was once described as "striking" in a very old hiking guide book written in 1898 by Frank O. Carpenter.

There are still some "striking" views of the Notch to be had from a huge granite slab located about a half mile to the north of Mount Pemigewasset's ledges. However, getting there requires a bushwhack. Also, this spot is more like a cliff than a ledge. Perhaps the photo below will provide some idea of the steepness of this ledge/cliff.
SteepLedgeShot.JPG

In my opinion, it's extremely hazardous to venture out onto this rock slab. One misstep would result in a very nasty fall with some equally nasty consequences!:eek: Fortunately, this slab is surrounded on all sides by trees. By using the trees to firmly anchor myself at the perimeter and then peering across the slab, I was able to get a "striking" unobstructed view of the high peaks on the Franconia Ridge.
FranconiaRdg.JPG

This precarious perch also provided an opportunity for some "zoom" shots. Below are just two examples.
ZoomLowerFR.JPG

ZoomUpperFR.JPG

Besides the great views of the Franconia Ridge, there was also another interesting view which I came across in the middle of the forest while bushwhacking to the ledge/cliff. The photo below shows something which I've never encountered before. I don't know exactly what you'd call it? Maybe a doorway or perhaps a bridge?:confused:
WoodlandStructure.JPG

On my way home, as I was driving northward up the Notch, I noticed a squadron of paragliders off to my left over Cannon Mountain.
I pulled into the Echo Lake parking lot and walked down to the shoreline with the hopes of getting some good photos of them. Well, I got a few photos, but none were really good. I was shooting toward the sun, plus the gliders were simply beyond the zoom capability of my little point & shoot camera. But anyway, below is one photo.
HangGlider.JPG

I was pleasantly surprised that there was some autumn color still lingering around the Echo Lake. I took a few snapshots.
Although none of them are award winners, they do show what might be some of the last gasps of Autumn 2009!
Echo1.JPG

Echo2.JPG

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
John, you are far to humble when describing your photos! Those last two from Echo are beautiful, especially the reflections of the snow and the foliage on the lake :)

My favorite photo by far, however, is of the Druid doorframe. Perhaps this is a small remnant of an otherwise unknown NH Stonehenge? What a neat find, natural or otherwise!

Is this the same ledge that you described hiking to last year on Pemi's "north" peak? I've looked up at that slab a few times - it does indeed look very steep.

Keep the great offtrail reports coming! :D

Wonderful report, as always.

We saw the top of a paraglider while we were on Cannon yesterday. That's one thing I could never do. You'd hear me shrieking all the way down, for miles away.

Glad you got those striking photos, but be careful out there -- you're a very talented photographer, don't end up with a "negative outcome." I'd miss your TRs too much.

I love the one of the ski trails over Echo Lake! It's almost time to ski them!!

Paragliding or hang gliding is interesting - but I don't have time, money, or guts to get hooked ;) I'm bummed my father-in-law sold his 4-seat airplane... I'd love to fly over the WMNF now that I know it well.

Tim

Very nice, as always. That doorway rock structure you found interests me.
-Mattl

Nice report and great pictures. We had a "bird's eye" view of the paragliders from Franconia Ridge.

Chris: Thank you for your positive feedback.
And yes, I did file a Trip Report about this same ledge in late November 2008. At that time there was snow & ice on the ledge (see photo below). There was no way in heck I would've ventured out onto this steep ledge under those conditions. However, I wanted to revisit that spot without snow & ice to determine if I felt safe venturing out on to it when the ledge was dry. Nope! Still didn't feel safe in doing it. But, at least the viewing conditions were better this time around.

Frm_IndianHead_NorthLedge.JPG

Trish: Thank you for your reply. Also, I loved your photography pun about avoiding a "negative outcome"!:D
Actually, I did find a way to make the ledge nearly level. I slightly tilted my camera, and the ledge looked much more inviting!:rolleyes::)
Oh, but whoops! I guess by doing this I might have caused a few folks to topple off the Franconia Ridge!:eek:
P1010607.JPG

Tim: Hey Tim . . . thank you also for your reply. And regarding your statement about not having the time, money or guts to get hooked on paragliding, actually maybe it's just as well. I mean a screen name of hikebikefishparaglide would be a bit cumbersome!:rolleyes:

Mattl: Yes that doorway rock structure was bizarre. I suppose it's simply the result of some freakish random act of nature.
Or, maybe this is the remnant of a structure built by an ancient group of forest gnomes (but unrelated to our VFTT Forestgnome!:))

LarryD: Aha! Yes, I'll bet you did get a fantastic "bird's eye" view of the paragliders from Franconia Ridge!
That would have been the place to get a great view of them!

Last edited:
Awesome!

Another killer report and more killer photos!

Chris mentioned the Druids and the first thing I thought of when I saw the "Arch" was the "Oracle" at America's Stonehenge just down the road from us. Supposedly the Druids built the stone structure there. Not sure I believe all that, but interesting similarities. Most likely a natural feature, but very interesting.

KDT

By using the trees to firmly anchor myself at the perimeter and then peering across the slab, I was able to get a "striking" unobstructed view of the high peaks on the Franconia Ridge.
That's a fantastic shot, John, probably the best angle I've seen on the Franconias. I don't think I've seen another one that manages to get all of them; usually Flume is hidden and Liberty sorta minimized.

I can always count on your Trip Reports & beautiful pictures
to take me to places that I know I may never make it to
(like that ledge!)
Great shots!
Thank you again!

Ken; Doug; Kevin; Jniehof; Tricia: Thanks to each of you for taking time to respond to my posting.:)

Doug, thanks for providing a characterization of "arch" for that doorway-like structure that rests deep in the forest.
And Kevin, thanks for that interesting link to America's Stonehenge. Hmmm! Makes you wonder!

Jniehof, that ledge does provide an interesting angle on the Franconias. Like you, I don't recall seeing a photo from another viewpoint where Lafayette through Flume is clearly visible, especially at such close range. Perhaps someone will post a photo proving us both wrong? And, speaking of posting photos, I'd love it if someone might have an old photo they could post which might show a northward view from Mt. Pemigewasset where trees didn't partially obstructed that particular view.

And Tricia, regarding some of my TRs taking you to places you've never been, thank you for your kind words. And I guess I'd also add, isn't that a large part of what VFTT is all about? Hardly a week goes by before I read a TR about a place that I've never been, or trail I've never taken.

Interesting picture of the druids door

but hard to beat thsoe great shots of echo lake..the one with the ski trails is amazing

thanks for sharing

Once again you've shown us the views from places we've never seen them. The Franconia Ridge shots from the ledges are wonderful - particularly with the snow covered peaks. Love the foliage shots around Echo Lake too. And the bridge/arch/doorway/whatever is fascinating!

Silverfox; Mike P; Steve-o; Bobby; mtruman: Hey guys . . . thank you for your kind words.

I think my previous follow-up responses to this post have also thanked everyone else who submitted a reply (hopefully, I've not overlooked anyone!)