Glen Boulder & Isolation July 4th, 2008

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Bear

Reaction score
Brookline, NH Avatar:Ice Cave on Cascade Brook
The Fourth of July is one of the best times to be appreciative of our freedom and so in accord I set out to enjoy life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness! Regrettably this would be a solo hike due to a knee injury that Sunshine Chris had back in the spring. She has just Isolation and South Kinsman left and I had set a personal goal to finish “unofficially” by July 19th, 2008. This date is my two-year anniversary of beginning the quest of hiking the NH48. Finishing unofficially, because I disqualified my Canon summit intentionally by swiss-bobbing down. I chose to not play by the game rules that day so I could officially finish on Canon on my 48th birthday with family and friends that will need to take the tram.

I set out from Pinkham Center at 4pm in order to avoid the midday sun and enjoy the evening hike. The short Direttissma trail went by quickly and soon I was climbing to Glen Boulder on its own trail. I met only met three people on the climb to the boulder and the rest of the evening conversation would be minimal. The boulder looms in front of you from a distance. As I hiked up to it I wondered how secure it actually is and would it fall during my lifetime as the “Old Man” had. Standing next to the massive boulder you see that its weight favors the mountain and it should be there to enjoy for a long time.

I had chosen my path to Isolation by way of Glen Boulder Trail and Davis path to view the entire ridge from above. The second advantage to hiking late is enjoying the shadows of the mountains reaching across the valleys. As I hiked I thought about how many people had cast their shadows on these mountains and how privileged we are to ride this planet. We live in the greatest country in the world and enjoy immense freedoms! It’s too easy to take so much for granted and not live fully understanding those who can never choose their path in life. Men and women that had cast much bigger shadows than mine had ensured that American soil would sovereign. The best way for me to celebrate their gift to us will always be to live free and be sure those efforts were never in vain.

By the time I left the junction of Davis Path it was already 7:30pm and I began to step it up a bit to reach Isolation before sundown. The shadows of the mountains were reaching for the Wildcats but the trail close to you was easy to see and nice footing. Coming down the path before the Isolation Trail north junction I overtook a porcupine. Curiously, he chose to stay on the trail ahead of me for near an eighth of a mile. It was funny to see him thinking he was hiding behind rocks and against embankments. I began to follow him faster and talk to him some and he soon departed from the trail into the thick brush. Don’t know if it was my pace or the conversation but now I was back to solo hiking.

I reached Isolation just after 8:30pm and enjoyed a stunning sunset in solitude with beautiful reds, orange and yellow. The cloud formations over the sunset added to their appeal. At 9:00pm some small personal fireworks in Jackson went off and I sat to wait for the town display, which never came. Unfortunately I discovered later they had scheduled for Sunday night. Why? I took a moment to toast the mountains and then another nip went down in the name of freedom! It was getting late and I hiked down to Rocky Branch 2 shelter, made camp and enjoyed a steak dinner. Actually brought three in case I had company. Ate the first two faster than you could get a picture of them and cooked the third up for Saturday’s lunch.

The next morning I hiked out Rock Branch and found I had neighbors on the other side of the brook. The path out was much slower than during a winter attempt but very enjoyable. Some sections were like playing your way up a little stream while the sun danced off the water. Higher up, by Engine Hill there was an abundance of birches, ferns and sign of moose coming from either direction. I hitchhiked up from the trailhead and actually made the corner where I could see the boulder and reflect on how far my journey had taken me. Not unlike my pursuit of the NH48 and the numerous great friends I have made and many people that have helped and inspired me along the way.

Happy trails and hope to see many folks in February on Canon as well as cross paths over this year! ;)

Pics:http://good-times.webshots.com/album/564062155nkVdJB?vhost=good-times

Slideshow:http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/564062155nkVdJB

Last edited:
I've always wanted to converse with a porcupine, but they're always in such a dang hurry. Great photos dave bear!

Sweet! Nice one, DB!Sorry we couldn't be there with you!

We spent the 4th up in the wilds of Maine, tagging N Peak of Kennebago Divide, Cupsuptic Snow, E Kennebago, White Cap, and the 3570 Peak on the US/CA Boundary Swath. Report, photos and maps along with regailing details of bushwacking in the North Maine Woods, sun and bugs and beautiful visual memories of the Milky Way, three moose and a bobcat -- coming soon from MichaelJ. ;)

Congrats on your unofficial NH48. Sounds like you had a gorgeous day/evening for a hike. The fireworks would have been the icing on the cake had they been on Friday. Great trip report as always Dave!!

Great report Dave. Thanks for posting this. I need Iso for my fourth round and want to do it via Glen Boulder this summer.