GORP recipes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone tell me......what are pepitos???

Put smarties, lard and sardines in food processor. Run processor on high.
Mix by hand with shredded coconut.
Roll into small balls or pellets.
Freeze
Swallow whole with water or Gator-Aid if flavour unappealing.

Don't bring on hot summer days. On overnights may attract bears or other critters.

(Note: wheat germ may replace coconut)

Neil said:
Put smarties, lard and sardines in food processor. Run processor on high.
Mix by hand with shredded coconut.
Roll into small balls or pellets.
Freeze
Swallow whole with water or Gator-Aid if flavour unappealing.

Don't bring on hot summer days. On overnights may attract bears or other critters.

I cannot imagine a reason I would ever want to bring them, summer or winter at anytime ever, ever and I certainly cannot imagine any reason whatsoever I would put one in my mouth. :D :D :D

Neil said:
(Note: wheat germ may replace coconut)

Trust me, this isn't sweetning the pot. :D :D

Keith

Cashews, Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips, and chopped dried apricots.

No melting worries, 'cuz I'm either on or in the water, or at home just moping, when it gets hot.

(But now I gotta find out what the $%^&! "smarties" are; I already love the sardines. Then I gotta try it. Then I gotta find Neil if it turns out as awful as Keith imagines it . . . )

sardog1 said:
(But now I gotta find out what the $%^&! "smarties" are;
A kind of hard candy. Packaged in rolls about 2 in long by .5 in dia containing about 15 candy disks. Available in the candy section at your local grocery store. Good even (better, IMO) without all that other stuff mixed in.

Doug

DougPaul said:
A kind of hard candy. Packaged in rolls about 2 in long by .5 in dia containing about 15 candy disks. Available in the candy section at your local grocery store. Good even (better, IMO) without all that other stuff mixed in.

Doug

Oh yeah, Smarties. I didn't notice that at first. Just spotted the lard and sardines. I love those little things. That's the only thing besides the coconut that I would find appealing. I have enough trouble finding stuff I like to eat when I hike as it is. I swear my stomach shuts down. I have no appetite. Only in the woods. :D

Because it is Neil. I would try one. :D :D He would have to eat one first though.

Keith

SAR-EMT40 said:
Oh yeah, Smarties. I didn't notice that at first. Just spotted the lard and sardines. I love those little things. That's the only thing besides the coconut that I would find appealing. I have enough trouble finding stuff I like to eat when I hike as it is. I swear my stomach shuts down. I have no appetite. Only in the woods. :D
The smarties are the only part of his recipe that appeals to me... And I have no trouble eating on the trail.

Because it is Neil. I would try one. :D :D He would have to eat one first though.
Neil seems to be a decent guy, but I'll pass on this one...

Doug

Not GORP but

Does anyone have the old ThruHiker recipe for Bacon Grease/Peanut butter squares. Someone shared some with me about twenty years ago and they were fantastic. Of course they are designed for a T/H 5-6000 calorie day diet.

SAR-EMT40 said:
Keith
My Mom used to send me off to school or to the outdoor hockey rink in frigid Manitoba with a jacket pocket full of frozen sweet sardinie balls back in the 60's. She said they were sunshine from the sea because the sardines supposedly had Vit. D in them. I don't know about the Vit. D. but I do remember using the mixture to make hockey pucks out of - you had to add a little water to the recipe. We also used old Eaton's catalogues for shin pads.

timmus said:
A lot of things can be good in GORP, but IMO, there is one ESSENTIAL ingredient that must be in the bag :

Chocolate covered coffee beans.

You beat me to it Julie!! Especially useful product towards the end of a long hike when you need a little extra boost.

Smarties: depends on where you are

DougPaul said:

Doug

In Canada, Smarties are candies not unlike M&Ms. Not sure which version of Smarties Neil is referring to; not sure it'd make a difference in that particular recipe.

Last edited:
My favorite GORP recipe is:

regular M&M's
peanut M&M's
crunchy M&M's
peanut butter M&M's
honeynut cashews and regular cashews
peanuts
pistachios
cinnamon coated raisins
golden raisins
craisins