Gps

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaTom

Reaction score
I hike 3-4 times a year (one in the winter) in the Whites with my wife and son. I have never used a GPS but own an altimeter and compass. I do not backpack, but use huts on my 2-4 day hikes. With the recent events, I want to purchase a GPS unit but do not want to spend a lot of money. I have looked at the Garmin eTrex (basic) and (venture) for $60 more. The big differences appear to be with the PC compatability and the tracking up to 12 routes? Is this correct? Are those upgrades worth it? I've read some reviews through Outsider Mag and Epinions and would like to have some of your expert advice.

Thanks

I have a Garmin Etrex and it is useless.
It does not work near trees, even in my own backyard.(
Don't waste your money. Buy the better model. I think it might be called the Vista but folks here can tell you.
Your life could depend on it!
Maddy

The Vista is an Etrex, it happens to be the top of the line in the Etrex line.

I don't recall if there are antenna differences between the different models in the Etrex line, but as far as I'm aware, the differences is all in memory, options and software, i.e. the Vista has the most memory (24MB), and has the altimeter functions (handy) and a built in compass (i've never used yet). GPS reception, I think would be the same as they all will be able to track 12 diff. satellites and the mechanicals the same..

GPS reception in the woods can be spotty, but I haven't really had a problem when out in the open.

Maddy, when you're talking about getting reception in your back yard, are you talking about getting an initial fix or basically an update?

Jay

Maddy,
I have the Garmin eTrex and have had no problems with it at all, even under relatively thick tree cover. Perhaps the antenna in your unit is bad. It also helps if you remain stationary until the unit has locked on to the satellites. Carrying the unit high on your shoulder strap will also dramatically improve your reception.
John

I don't know if the "lower end" GPS's are a crap shoot, but I had a cheap Magellan a few years back that was "useless", as in it would take almost 5 minutes to get a fix and then would lose a lock continuously. Probably a lemon. I just bought a basic Etrex a few weeks ago, and love it. It got me back to the parking area in a snow storm at Prospect Mountain a few weeks back, and has performed well in my tests.

Still wouldn't go into the outback without a good Silva and map, though.

Mark

Last edited:
Johhnycakes
What did you use to hook your GPS to your shoulder straps, I have been thinking about different ways to do it, usually on the trail when the stupid is bouncing around on my chest.
Thanks
big d

I've heard Lowrance are excellent, but are they waterproof? Heavy? Expensive? (all in relation to the Garmins, of course; they're all expensive compared to my trusty compass.)

I've had the garmin units side by side with the Magellan units and the Magellan always had better signal. Just my observation. I use an OLD Magelan unit with very few bells, no whistles, and no PC interface. The key is knowing your unit and practicing with it.
For a pack strap holster, I use one of those leatherette type cigarette pack cases that has a belt loop on it. I just add a velcro loop thru it's belt loop and around the adjustment web on the shoulder strap. I never carry anything hanging from my neck because if I fall, that will be the first thing to hit the ground. Look for the cigarette cases in the dollar store or perhaps Walmart, you might also find an eyeglass case that will work. The cigarette cases are also great for small 2-way radios. If they have a zipper top, like mine does, they allow for the antenna to poke out of the top.
My only complaint about the Magellan I have is that the darn backlight keeps coming on when the button is bumped, that causes the battery to die quickly. I never record my tracks, so it doesn't matter to me. I do however mark important waypoints like springs not on the map and record them when I get home.
One further suggestion is to keep an eye on Ebay, buy a basic one and learn what you like and don't like, then go get the one you want.
Lastly, I've gotten in the habit of printing out maps with 5 second grids on them of the area I'll be hiking in. (I create these from USGS topos in AUtoCAD). It's kind of fun to be able to see exactly where you are on the map and also practice guesstimating how far to the the next junction or land mark. I make a game out of it, and it has improved my skill greatly.
(No, I never go out without my Silva either!)
Tom

I have an older Magellan 330. Its light, a bit bulky, waterproof and floats. The optional Topo
base map could be more accurate though the benchmarks on the map seems to be
accurate. Like TomeEske I find the antenna/receiver to be more sensitive than thaose on the
garmins I've been exposed to.

Last week I hiked long hours under snowy skies, tree cover and approached
through valleys. I kept the unit inside a pack packet with my camera and gorp. It
never lost the signal.

Big D: eTrex Carry Case . This is what I use and connect it to my packstraps.

SherpaTom: I use an eTrex Summit, like it, occasionally have issues with signals, but when I move around a bit, it locks on well. Useless? Hardly. I use it all the time and have all of the NE100 and will have all of the ADK46 summit coordinates loaded. I also load many trailheads, intersections, decision points (bushwhacks), etc. I like the Summit over some of the others as it has a barometric altimeter and electronic compass (not as a replacement, but it is darn convenient to use for spot checks).

As with any tool, learn to use it before you need it.

Please- when comparing the sensitivities among the various units-take into account what satellites are visible to the unit at the time.

The satellites are constantly moving, so the situation is rarely the same.

Most units have a display that can be called up to show how many satellites the gps unit is seeing, and how strong the signals are from each of those satellites

There have been different days that my Magellan Platinum unit has been infallible and useless at the same spot in the same conditions. Its infallible when there are many satellites away from the horizon, up above my head. Its useless in ravines when many of the satellites on are the horizon.

My vote goes to Magellan Meridian Platinum. With the latest firmware, I believe it can take a 512MB memory card. The importance of memory is that you can store more geographic area in the unit. This means you dont have to keep uploading new areas to the unit everytime you go someplace different.
(For reference, 128 MB of memory holds contour lines. peaks, bodies of water, etc and every street from NE Maine to SE Michigan- so 512MB may be overkill.)

Lowrance is great- most units are charged with nitrogen so water cannot get in- but I think they are optimized for boating because the old unit I have chews through batteries very quickly. Plus, the receiver does not have to be as sensitive as a one made for hiking because its supposed to be used on the ocean with no tree cover.

SherpaKroto said:
I like the Summit over some of the others as it has a barometric altimeter and electronic compass (not as a replacement, but it is darn convenient to use for spot checks).
SherpaK:

I'm interested in a unit that will synch the altimeter digitally when it sees enough satelites to calculate altitude (I think it's 4) and otherwise will drop into aneroid mode. But the barometric readout would get reset by the digital altitude whenever it can so you get the best of both. [I hope that's clear.] My Suunto altimeter is great and tracks very well but resetting to the pressure (i.e. weather) is a pain and it reduces it's effective accuracy considerably.

Does the Vista do this? Do any of the units do it? I've heard "good" units will do this.

Pb

Big D,

The link for the carry case that Sherpa Kroto posted is a good option. If you want to go the cheap route, undo one shoulder strap of your pack, slide a sturdy rubber band over it, and then redo the shoulder strap. Slide the rubber band up high on the shoulder strap so it is directly over your shoulder. You may have to tie a know in the rubber band to obtain the proper tension. I would still keep the GPS lanyard around your neck, but anytime you aren't reading data from the GPS, slide it under the rubber band on your shoulder strap. This will keep it from bouncing and position it ideally for satellite recpeption. Just remember to take the unit out from under the rubber band if you take your pack off.

John

The Magellan Platinum, although it has an barometer, does not recalibrate it based on computed altitude.

However, if you have purchased Magellan topo software and you have downloaded a region into the unit, your location has an altitude stored in a database. So you know your altitude without having to have a barometer, and you dont have to depend on the altitude calculated by the using the satellite signals.

The most confusing part is determining whether the indicated altitude is from satellite signals or database.

I am sure the Garmin top of the line model has the same feature if you buy the Garmin topo software, ie the unit can tell you your altitude without having to use its barometer and without having to calculate altitude from satellite signals.

Garmin has a fairly new line of GPS called the Geko that some weight conscious hikers (...I know... is there such a thing as a non-weight conscious hiker??)might be interested in. They are noticeably smaller and lighter than other recievers . I have not noticed any differences in satelite lock with the various Garmins that I have used. They (Etrex, Rhino, Geko, GPS 12) have all worked well when plotting field locations in my Terrain Navigator software. It is always recommended to get as much south-east exposure as possible to help with satelite aquisition under a canopy.

Papa Bear, I have a Garmin Geko 301 which sort of does what you want when switched to Auto Calibrate mode. Apparently, it uses some algorithm to improve the GPS calculated elevation by comparing it to the barometric pressure (the manual is a bit vague about how it actually does this). But my experience in the field shows it is much more accurate overall than my barometric pressure altimeter.

The Geko is very small and waterproof but doesn't have many bells and whistles and can't store basemaps. However, I have other devices that I use to store maps so I don't miss this functionality.

Remix said:
if you have purchased Magellan topo software and you have downloaded a region into the unit, your location has an altitude stored in a database. So you know your altitude without having to have a barometer, and you dont have to depend on the altitude calculated by the using the satellite signals.
Remix:
That's a cool feature and I didn't realize they did that.

My problem is where I may be going is out of the US where I won't have good topos, the topos won't be loadable into the unit, and some of the topos are just plain wrong. It was my hope to use the altimeter function to ascertain the height of certain peaks where I can't rely on the published numbers.

So I'd still like to find a GPS that calibrates a barometric altimeter with satelite readings. I'm assuming the satelite reading would be more accurate and certainly would not depend on the weather, but harder to get due to the availability of satelites.

Pb

I have an eTrex Summit. You can calibrate the altimeter to the satellite signals. I can't find the accuracy of this calibration, but I think it's advertised to be accurate to within 100 ft. Whenever I check the GPS altitude against a known benchmark, I have found it to be better than 100 ft.

Since he hasn't replied yet, I'll answer for him ... yes, SherpaK's GPS will recalibrate the aneroid barometer whenever it has a suitable altitude measurement from the satellites.

I've never owned the less featured Garmins, but I do have ones with extennal antenna jacks and have picked up a small antenna from GPS suppliers on the web which is about 2x1x.5 in. and waterproof. I put that on top of the pack. That way I can put the gps inside my clothing if the temps are sub zero.

Also I have the built in Alt. and Compass and find the elevation to be very accurate. I have it set to variable calibration.

But the main thing with the antenna is I never,never lose signals anywhere in the Whites. And always have good accuracy.

I have WAAS though.

Soon anywhere in the moutains will have consistent corrections for us. The USCG is building them for the USA all over the country in dual coverage.

See the USCG's site for info.

Last edited: