Gregory Forester

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werdigo49

Reaction score
I just bought this pack and, preparing for a two-week trip, am in the process of figuring it out. (It replaces an old external-frame Kelty Super Tioga so there are a few differences!) There is one strap I can't reason out; it's 12" long and simply hooks to itself in a loop, through one of the strap openings that runs vertically down the front center (back would be against my back...) of the pack.

Is this for "daisy chaining"? What IS daisy-chaining, anyway?

This looks like a nice pack but I'm trying to figure out how to pack it and already miss all of the Super Tioga's external pockets. Where do people keep their fuel, and their water filter?

--Werdigo49

werdigo49 said:
Is this for "daisy chaining"? What IS daisy-chaining, anyway?
A daisy chain is a kind of technical climing sling which allows one to attach at many spots. One way of making one is to take a loop of webbing and sew the two sides together every ~4in. (Or one can tie a knot at 4-5in spacings.) If one side is a little longer than the other, then the intermediate loops will stay open when the daisy chain is under tension.

A daisy chain on a pack would be a piece of webbing sewn to the pack so that there is a loop every few inches.

Just checked out a picture of the pack on the web--the daisy chain runs down the center of the front access panel.

Doug

Last edited:
werdigo49,

If this loop is on the external section and it appears to form a "T" with the Daisy Chain when it is put horizontally through one of the top Daisy Chain Loops, then this would hold an ice axe, ski poles or a snowshovel.

There should be one or two loops at the very bottom of the daisy chain. You would push your Ice axe (or other implement) down through the loop at the bottom of the daisy chain, pushing it all the way through until the loop is tight to the head of the ice axe (we'll use the axe in this example).

Then, fold or swing the ice axe back up and use the strap at the top of the daisy chain to secure the end of the ice axe to the upper part of your pack. The loop at the bottom secures the head of the ice axe, keeping it realitively immobile.

The only other loop (aside from gear slings) I can think of would be a headspace strap inside the pack - This would attach at mid level inside the back of the pack and clip to the top front of the inside of the pack (closest to your head). When the pack is full, you tighten this strap and it creates headspace by pulling the front of the pack away from your head.
I cannot recall if the Forester has this setup, though.

Good luck
Rick

Last edited:
I just took a look at my Gregory Forester. I have to agree with DougPaul. It sounds like you are describing the daisy chain. The daisy chain on the forester is sewn onto the front access panel and comes with a short (abt 6 inch) strap used to secure an ice axe shaft. I attach my crampon pouch to my daisy chain using a carabiner but really you're only limited by your imagination. The only other single strap I saw on the pack was the compression strap located under the lid.

I really like the way my forester carried although I wasn't carrying 2 weeks of gear. As far as packing goes, I also really miss the external pockets. You can buy them to strap on but the price is high (Abt. $30/ea). I bought several stuff sacks and divided my gear up into those. The front panel access is very convenient.

Have fun,
glenn