Grivel closes shop. :-(

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More Signs of Change ...

I just Googled "petzl crampons" and found this:

Charlet Moser has become Petzl Charlet.
Along with the new name comes a complete reworking of the line: ice axes, ice screws, crampons and crampon binding systems. Petzl Charlet equipment is designed with total dedication to quality, innovation, and safety - to address the needs of the most demanding alpinists.
The Petzl Charlet brand will thus mark the "alpine territory" of the Petzl group.

I think it's going to be tough finding a comparable replacement to Grivel's G10's. Petzl has the M10 model, and Black Diamond the Contact Strap, but they're WAY more aggressive than needed for general alpine use in the Northeast.

Seriously

I bet you'll alway be able to get them on e-bay.

Another source might be Grivel's long-time US importer/distributor, ClimbHigh in Shelburne, VT. For many years their retail GM gave me 20% off on Grivel crampons for students in the NH AMC chapter's winter hiking series which I was involved with. When ClimbHigh was bought by Mammut, the big European retailer/manufacturer, the Grivel distributorship was moved west - IIRC to a company in Salt Lake. However, the GM told me that while they could no longer advertise Grivel's, they had quite a stock left over, and could sell whatever they had in their basement. So, that's how I obtained them on behalf of the students for the next couple of years.

I think it's going to be tough finding a comparable replacement to Grivel's G10's. Petzl has the M10 model, and Black Diamond the Contact Strap, but they're WAY more aggressive than needed for general alpine use in the Northeast.
The Petzl M10 competes with the Grivel G14 and the BD Cyborg. All vertical front-point crampons which can be configured for dual or mono point.

In the same line as the G10 would be the Petzl Irvis and BD Contact Strap - all are 10-point horizontal front-point with straps to fit any boot for general glacier travel... doesn't really get much more basic then these in terms of full-sized crampons (excluding lightweight aluminum crampons).

Also can't forget that Camp makes good stuff that you can find in some stores:
http://www.camp-usa.com/products/categories/crampons.asp

Last edited:
Yeah, the BD Contact is similar to the G10 and their binding on the CBCBD's link looks like the "new classic" bindings that I have on my G10s and AirTech Lites.

My first pair of crampons ever were a pair of 6pt Charlet Mosers before Petzl took them over...

Jay

My first pair of crampons ever were a pair of 6pt Charlet Mosers before Petzl took them over...
The 6pt Charlet Mosers were also my first! ...until my ex-girlfriend kept them in the "separation" :rolleyes:

I was a jerk anyways, so it's all good I guess :D

A friend of mine just bought the BD Contact Strap and it frankly, looks like an almost exact knockoff of the G10, same strapping method, except the strap looks to be little thinner and not as durable as the G10s, however, it looks very similar in purchase. Remains to be seen how well they do in mixed terrain and rocks..

Jay

I figured "someone" would probably step in to fill the need for Grivel parts, but, like Tim, thought I'd do well to pick up an extra pair of the crampon "T" extension bars. I found that Lahout's in Lincoln had a supply.