Guyot Shelter?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that would be a major change to how things have been run up there.
Much like the scree wall: another bad -- and stupid -- idea. The Overflow sights are not necessarily ideal but they succeed in concentrating the "damage" done on the ridge. Now, people are only going to be encouraged to make new sites wherever they can. Awesome. Hey, there's plenty of firewood and rocks for a fire ring on Bond. This Guyot caretaker sounds like a real idiot and it won't be soon enough before he goes away and the stupid scree wall(s) are taken down. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten his ass kicked so far...

-Dr. Wu

i had the opportunity to spend a night filling in for the guyot caretaker a couple of weeks back and was instructed front country to use the overflow only if necessary (as it should be). had i needed the space after jamming the platforms and shelter i would have used them. the no camping signs refer to the amc, though who specifically posted them i don't know. historically i believe there have been signs there noting they were overflow sites and to check in at the campsite. given the traffic that place gets i have a hard time imagining not having to use that overflow area from time to time.
if i was going to give some advice i would say hit the site midweek when you have a chance of getting a platform to yourself or wait a couple months for things to slow down....that privy must be quite the scene with 75 people at the site....
if the weather is in your favor west bond at sunset is supposed to be superb. i got shutdown by thunderstorms this past stay.

bryan

i had the opportunity to spend a night filling in for the guyot caretaker a couple of weeks back and was instructed front country to use the overflow only if necessary (as it should be). had i needed the space after jamming the platforms and shelter i would have used them. the no camping signs refer to the amc, though who specifically posted them i don't know. historically i believe there have been signs there noting they were overflow sites and to check in at the campsite. given the traffic that place gets i have a hard time imagining not having to use that overflow area from time to time.
if i was going to give some advice i would say hit the site midweek when you have a chance of getting a platform to yourself or wait a couple months for things to slow down....that privy must be quite the scene with 75 people at the site....
if the weather is in your favor west bond at sunset is supposed to be superb. i got shutdown by thunderstorms this past stay.

bryan

Isn't the discussion on this thread obviously leading up to why are there not any more tent platforms being built at Guyot? We all know the Forest Service from previous threads that they take our money to upgrade the roadsides but care less about meeting the needs of backcountry campers....even when the hoardes of backcountry campers demand it :mad:

I spoke with the ranger this weekend, and the scree walls are coming down. It was simply a matter of an overzealous caretaker who needs some education. Actually, except for the dead wood which is hideous, I didn't think they were awful, just overdone. And the overflow sites are still in use, the signs are there to keep people from camping unless told to by the caretaker.

Looking good weather wise for this weekend!!

We are planning on doing the suggested trip from Rte 302...leaving around 2pm (from Maine) to get to the campsites on Zealand Rd around 6 - 7ish pm.

We will probably leave the campsite EARLY (4ish) to hit Zealand early and to the campsite early.

I noted that, on the AMC site, it mentioned that there WASN'T a bear hang...should we make our own...or not worry about bears here?

Thanks.

I spoke with the ranger this weekend, and the scree walls are coming down. Actually, except for the dead wood which is hideous, I didn't think they were awful, just overdone.

(I'm slightly off-topic here, but) Thanks for doing that and reporting this -- I wondered what, given your recent Pemi traverse, your impression of the walls might be once you saw them.

I noted that, on the AMC site, it mentioned that there WASN'T a bear hang...should we make our own...or not worry about bears here?

Bears aren't really a problem up that high, but the mice are ferocious. They are much more likely to get into your food, and the shelter has various contraptions to try to block mice from climbing down the hang ropes. None of them work very well. :(

Man...you all are going to be REALY happy when I actually DO complete the 48s!!

I tried to see about reserving at either Sugarloaf or the Zealand Campsite for Fri night...all three are "walk in only" if less than 7 days reserve.

As we are not going to be there until (probably) after 6pm...suggestions? I'm thinking we try and hike for an hour from the trailhead...set up the tent somewhere (what is it...100 feet from the trail/water?) and then just spend the night there?

As we are not going to be there until (probably) after 6pm...suggestions? I'm thinking we try and hike for an hour from the trailhead...set up the tent somewhere (what is it...100 feet from the trail/water?) and then just spend the night there?

i've done that a few times. You can make it all the way to Zealand, and there are spots not far outside the FPA. Otherwise, the Pemi is littered swith spots.