Half Dome - permits now required + a question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Hello All,

A few questions about this Yosemite classic....

Question - how big of a zoo is Little Yosemite Valley campground, 1/2 way up the dome? I've heard from several people it's terribly loud & crowded. I don't mind most campgrounds, but most people seem to recommend Half Dome as a dayhike instead of an overnight cause of this.

Question - what time of the morning should you reach the cables to avoid most of the crowds during a weekday in July?

FYI - figured I'd pass along this information since it just startled me after visiting the Yosemite nps website....permits are now required on Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays. You can reserve online.

Last edited:
The large crowds are in Yosemite Valley. How many people actually hike to Half Dome, I couldn’t tell you. However, only the hardy can make that hike in a day. It’s nearly 5 miles (4.8) to Half Dome Trail. Then about another 1.5 miles on Half Dome trail to the top of Half Dome. You will climb from about 4000’ to 8780’. In Yosemite it gets hot and dry starting in July. Do not forget a good floppy hat, sun glasses, lip balm and drink plenty of water along the way. You may also encounter a lot of mosquitoes, depending on how the winter was and the melt off.

Start your hike at sun up to beat the crowds and the heat. You will encounter many of the hiking crowd early in the morning. However, many of them only get or go as far as Nevada Falls, about 2.5 miles, at 5900’. Bring a pair of work gloves for the cable going up the Dome. You can replenish your water supply at the top of Nevada Falls.

For camping in the backcountry I believe that you will need a permit. I hiked the JMT and for that trail I needed a permit. Once in the backcountry you can camp almost anywhere. At 3.6 miles is Little Yosemite Valley campground. I stopped off there and looked around. It did not seem too crowded. That will get you much closer to the Dome. I camped .5 mile after Half Dome Trail in the vicinity of the junction of Clouds Rest Trail. I found plenty of places to camp off the trail, water, fantastic views of the Dome and solitude.

I camped .5 mile after Half Dome Trail in the vicinity of the junction of Clouds Rest Trail. I found plenty of places to camp off the trail, water, fantastic views of the Dome and solitude.

What BF said. I camped exactly where BF mentions and there are a bunch of great spots there and its an easy walk from the Half Dome trail Jct.

I can't speak for Little Yosemite Valley as I did not go there but you will get a better location just past HD.

My site --- http://tuco.smugmug.com/JMT/5-Days-on-the-JMT-2007/3361090_tqfCi#187522621_pz8Wi-A-LB

This is on the way to the site... http://tuco.smugmug.com/JMT/5-Days-on-the-JMT-2007/3361090_tqfCi#187522105_xcsyN-A-LB

Enjoy however you do....

I think I'm glad about the permits being required. That might cut down on the numbers who go underprepared and increase the numbers who get updated advice about weather, etc. On the other hand, we were glad to be able to make our decision on when to go a last minute thing. I was glad to have had some rock climbing experience beforehand as it made me more skillful and the trip less dangerous. The good thing about bringing your own gloves is that you will have a pair you like rather than taking from what is available from the pile of discards.

Last edited:
When I was in Yosemite we stayed at Little Yosemite Campsite for our Rock Climb up Half Dome.. With the heat we decided to start hiking in the afternoon and it worked out really well. Most of the crowds were hiking out at that time. We only took pad & sleeping pad as we had heavy climbing gear..:eek:

We had gotten a permit that morning and Little Yosemite was desserted...I think 2 other groups were there......not many people camp out unless they are on a long hike or climbing. We had deer walking all around us and our bags...bear lockers are there and bathrooms. Not cleared much, lots of shade and spots are spaced out nicely, water available but need to treat it......:D
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/0o5lzoC6nTCCCJzo3L_HzA?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/-s_oezcDWcCL0jEUFajt5g?feat=directlink

It would be sweet to be there in the early AM and beat the crowds up the cables and maybe see sunrise.......:D

We were rock climbing up, so by the time we climbed up and spent some time on the top, there were very few hikers going out..
I would suggest taking your time and enjoying it, if you have the time...it is well worth the hike in.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/uhjl8BxZqaaCi2ijC2TpNQ?feat=directlink

LInk to my pics...
http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/YosemiteRockClimbingTrip?feat=directlink

No parking at trailhead if I remember, so make sure you know the shuttle bus schedule...they are on time...we missed the last bus and had to road walk an extra mile...ughh :eek:

I did it two years in a row as a day-hike, in May (the earliest after opening). There were two gear improvements for year two that were huge:
==Swami belt (including a 'screamer'): about $25; have any gear shop outfit you; made a night-&-day difference in security and enjoyment. And a...
==Water filter (or eq.): it's about an 18 (or 19, if you descend the JMuir trail)-mile hike, and refilling at the river in the 7th inning was miraculous (just upstream of the falls). I believe it was a five-liter day for me. And I was the group hero for about an hour.

The campsites were pretty much empty when we went through (a 5am start in mid-May) and we had sparse traffic ascending the cables. There was some congestion by mid-afternoon. I'd expect in July, an even earlier start would be helpful.

"SUG" gloves, from Wells Lamont, did the trick nicely for me. Someone else brought rubber dish gloves and hated 'em, no grip (photo shows both leash and gloves). Someone else filled a tub with cut pineapple, mango and watermelon and froze it; it was heaven at the top. Someone else had a cooler in their car at the end, and that was heaven, too.

Enjoy the cables: it was one of the few times in my life that I've been singularly focused on only one thing. Clipping in the second time relaxed the tunnel-vision and I really enjoyed the views much more. With no traffic, I just leaned back and soaked in it for a minute.

Frankly, I'd recommend light-&-fast for this, and then backpack to the interior after; you'll want some luxuries after that kind of day. If it weren't July, I might remind you to bring your fishin' pole (I really enjoyed the upper-valley streams in year two: 80 degrees on the glacier and an ice-cold brook to wade in).

A definite top-ten hike, have fun!

We saw a few people clipped in on our trip (with the Swami belts). They looked comfortable. The worst of what we saw was the people facing outward while on their way down. They were slipping and sliding, whereas those facing into the rock and leaning back were getting better traction and doing just fine.
What a hike, what a climb. I loved it!

I'm not sure about which campground or area. I hiked by in May towards Snake Dike (WF) and saw no one in the camp areas on my way up and back down from the cable route (EF). At some point those trails merged. That whole plateau looks like a wonderful place to camp and a great way to break up that long day.

Last edited:
So, the easiest thing to do is just get a general backcounty camping permit. You can hike up the JMT, and when you reach the junction with the Half Dome Trail, instead follow the JMT for another 0.7 miles to the next trail junction. There are plenty of camping options at that junction. You'll have some company for sure (I didn't camp there, I was a little further up on the JMT, but there were 4 tents when I came through), but it won't be crowded. Plus, you can wake up at a reasonable hour, pack up, stash your overnight gear at the Half Dome Trail junction and beat all the crowds. Have fun!

Thanks for all the excellent info so far. I've had a bit of a wakeup call this week in regards to planning a trip to Yosemite.

First, backcountry permits get completedly sold out well before April for the ENTIRE summer for the popular trailheads (Half-Dome/Little Valley area included).

Secondly, nearly all reservable campgrounds in the park also completely fill up within a few days of going on sale (they release a month at a time, either 4-5 months ahead of time). Tuolumne Meadows is incredibly difficult to get.

They do leave many backcountry permits and campsites available for 1st-come-1st-serve, but I'm guessing you have to be in line at the permit office by 6 or 7am or at the campground by 9am to score a site.

This is why I tend to love the low-key national parks far more than the superstar parks. Oh well.

Couple of things you may already know- these snippets are from USFS sites-

1- Hours (subject to change): 8 am to 4:30 pm (7:30 am to 5 pm in July and August)

The Office opens during the summer at 730- when I was there I got in line at 715 and there were 20 people ahead of me. I already had reservation but thats what occurred

2-Of each daily quota for a trailhead, 60 percent can be reserved ahead of time while the remaining 40 percent is available on a first-come, first-served basis one day prior to, or the same day as, your hike begins as long as permits are available.

You can get a premit for the following day, and also the 60/40 split leaves quite a few available first come first served. This gives you flexibility to have two days to shoot for if you get there in the am.

Its a battle for sure, and easier if not the weekend I am sure.

Good luck.

Trying to obtain multiple permits to the backcountry can be difficult. If you hike alone, the Yosemite rangers sometimes are able to accommodate one person with a permit. Keep calling. Periodically permits mysteriously appear. If you cannot get a permit out of Yosemite Valley, take a look at getting a permit and starting your hike from Tuolumne and hike south to Half Dome. Sometimes a permit from Tuolumne can be easier to get. From Tuolumne it’s about 15 mi. to Half Dome Trail. Take 2 days to get to Clouds Rest Trail. Camp. Hike Half Dome on day 3. After climbing Half Dome, you can either spend another night at the same camp or hike out into Yosemite Valley. This way you will be better acclimated when you climb Half Dome, miss the crowds and have a spectacular hike. Don't get discourage and give up too soon. Be persistent. It’s never easy to put together a trip in Yosemite. To put together such a hike and plan your logistics in Yosemite is a pain but if you can pull it off, it is worth it.

Just Wing it

be flexible and don't worry about the details so much. Lots of times you may be able to get a permit late in the day (for that day) , instead of coming back early in the morning. An alternative is to go in by Sunrise TH, near Lake Tenaya. Shorter than coming in via Toulomne Meadows.
Or if you have the time come in from Glacier Point. The funny thing about Yosemite is the popular places/trails/CGs are a zoo, but get just a mile away and you can find all the solitude you want.

Don't forget your bear canister.

Another vote for coming in from Tenaya Lake. The lake itself is gorgeous and there's a good parking lot with bear lockers for anything you might be leaving with the car. Plus, if your plans change due to timing or weather, there are other excellent destinations in there. Cloud's Rest is a sensational trail hike. You can also climb Tenaya Peak via the climber's descent trail, if you are looking for a navigation exercise. That's just a great area!