Has anyone hiked the Lava Falls Trail in the Grand Canyon?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p2piper

Reaction score
My hiking partner, Wowser, and I are attempting the Lava Falls Scramble, a 1.5 mile steep, nasty scramble down 2,450 feet from the north rim to the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon. Last year we made it down maybe .5 before we took a wrong turn and ended up traversing a cinder wash that nearly sent me straight down the chute to the Colorado. Scary. This summer we are camping at the Toroweap campground, and have done lots of research on the web, but i wonder if any of you folks out there have completed this hike and would be willing to share any trail beta.

We would love to hear from you!

Thanks,

p2

Thanks! Yes, we have scoured the Net for trail info. Was hoping someone had actually made the trip and lived to tell about it. :)

p2

Wow, I just googled some images! Climbing down looks tough. At least Grand Canyon rattlesnakes aren't aggressive if you don't step on 'em. On a our rafting trip 6 years ago, we met 4 of them, up close, and they never rattled. They blend in with the rock very well.