Have You Ever Defended Hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMTHike

Reaction score
Hello Hikers,

I'm glad to be on VFTT this morning, I love it here. Unfortunately very few bulletin boards are as professional as this one. For example I'm on a bulletin board last night, kind of an open topic board. One thread was about gas prices. I go into this thread and merely post that I think prices are way out of hand and it not only effects my life as far as work but also recreation. I went on to say that I couldn’t get up to N.H. and hike in the White Mountains as often as I used to. That was it folks, wasn't crying just stating a fact since the thread was about how rising gas prices have effected your life.

Now the good part. Some jerk jumps on me, calls me a whiner then {get this} says to me "go ahead and fill your tank you fruit loop and go hiking with your hippie, pot smoking friends, hikers all have a few screws loose anyway. I have own oil company stocks so I'll enjoy the money you pay for your gas"... :mad:

My reply? Well first I told this guy that I'm not nor have ever been a hippie, I have never smoked pot and I live a conservative lifestyle. I then defended hiking by telling him that people who hike could put him to shame on a trail and IF he has a pair of gonads that he can go hiking with me and I'll laugh as I'm making it up a 4,000 footer while he's back at the 2,000 foot level gasping for air.

I'd rather not say what bulletin board this was or give this guy's screen name out. In fact I'd like to put this behind me and move on; I'll never visit that board again. I just needed to vent a little, sorry.

I just need to ask any of you if you have ever been in a situation where you've had to defend or felt a desire to defend hiking? Let's face it; most people outside of hiking just don't GET IT!

Sorry to vent but I feel better now. Thanks for listening.

HIKE THE HIKE!

Eh who cares about those comments...its obvious that its some "child" sitting around waiting for confrontation.

could it have been TGR? Ha....that board is too childish IMO...

I agree though here for the most part is very civil and a GREAT source of hiking informaiton.

Thanks for bringing it to us Darren..KUDOS

M

WhiteMThike: "most people outside of hiking just don't GET IT!"

You are right....that's just it. THEY DON'T GET IT. I never defend my love for hiking, I just feel sorry for whoever challenges it. I feel sorry that they never gave hiking & the great outdoors an honest shot. It's their loss....

yea - I have had to deal with this crap as well - for anyone who knows me I am the farthest thing from a hippie as you can get. I do have hippie buddies though. I am hard drinking/partying metal head - who happens to enjoy physical activity that hiking and climbing gives me. I do this so I don't get fat drinking.

these people as you you describe are the typically fat, lazy, get in the car to drive 1/4 mile (in my V8 SUV that I use only in the city and bitch it is too much money to fill up) to the store people who relish on overcomsumption, me-now screw everyone else , can't wait for anything, je**offs.

Man - that stuff irratates me as well. He will have a heart attack from clogged arties soon enough.

I don't defend hiking though - I if anyone give me slack about it - I just challenge them to try doing washington in the winter or something and then comment on it.

I always love it when someone asks what I've been up to, and after telling them I've been hiking, they get a strange look on their face and simply ask, "Why?" Then they sort-of look me up and down and I can hear them think, "Funny, he doesn't look like a hippie."

Let's face it, some people "get it" and some people don't. Most of the time it's useless trying to convince them otherwise. Reminds me of the saying:

"There are two things you can't argue with a person about: humor and eroticism."

Perhaps hiking should be a third?

It is probably good for all of us that not everybody gets it. Keeps the trail traffic down.

WhiteMTHike said:
Now the good part. Some jerk jumps on me, calls me a whiner then {get this} says to me "go ahead and fill your tank you fruit loop and go hiking with your hippie, pot smoking friends, hikers all have a few screws loose anyway. I have own oil company stocks so I'll enjoy the money you pay for your gas"... :mad:

HIKE THE HIKE!
Now, don't get mad. These days the internet is killing the post office so they're looking for new ways to get business. If you have the guys address, you can actually send him a flaming grocery bag filled with crap! The post office actually won't send something on fire through the mail, but the letter carrier, I believe, will light it at the offending person's doorstep.

:D

I wouldn't get in a verbal argument on the net about this stuff because generally you both lose. Gas prices are a touchy subject... I'm glad my little junker Saturn gets 40+ miles to the gallon. I would respond that "Dr. Wu's car get's good gas mileage! And he can kick your heinie in!!"

:eek:

See you on the trails!

-Dr. Wu

PS. I work for Gillette, the razor blade company, and I don't look like No Hippie.

Last edited:
Be Careful What You Ask For!

Although I think it a tragic shame that so many people do'nt enjoy the pleasures of the outdoors nor can even conceive of enjoying them, I do think of how much more crowded it would be in the mountains if they did get it. Count it as a blessing in disguise.

ripple said:
It is probably good for all of us that not everybody gets it. Keeps the trail traffic down.

agreed!

I don't get too much slack for being into mountain climbing/hiking. my brother calls me a 'mountain nerd' because I check out all these climbing related sites. my old party friends think I've been brainwashed. go figure.

whitemtnhike: I wouldn't worry too much about some tight ass troll on a website. he probably drives a hummer too, that a-hole!

hippies are your friends

WhiteMTHike said:
"...I have own oil company stocks so I'll enjoy the money you pay for your gas"

So this is the internet, right? This guy can be whoever he want's to be. In this case he is a rich, stock ownning, bastid. I'd be willing to be he has never even looked at the stock market.......

OR

Maybe he doesn't even own a car and is a good doobie and a "real hippie" and rides his bike everywhere. maybe not.

never defended hiking....I am the guy shaking my head when people look at me weird for taking off to go walking for 3 days.

anita514 said:
I don't get too much slack for being into mountain climbing/hiking.

Yes, but most of the people you talk to are Canadians and everyone knows they have less vinegar in their piss! ;)

I used to get called a "tree hugger" and all those hippyish names but then again, I used to be hippyish (10 years ago). :)

These days, my "defending hiking" sounds like this:

"I don't have a problem. I have my hiking under control. It's not like I'm smoking crack or shooting heroin!"

Just the opposite for me. Most people are in awe when I tell them what my sport (hobby?) is.
I'll never forget the time I reached Killington's summit. A group of teenage skiers were sitting on the peak after they took the easy way up. When they saw me climbing the last few steps, they couldn't believe their eyes. For a few moments I was a some kind of celebrity. If hadn't been so damn cold I would have signed autographs all day.
Have a great weekend, everyone.

Those are the type of responses from message boards which turned me off from posting in any forums for a while. Just losers looking for a fight. Flaming for no reason. Garbage. Which is all the more reason why I love this site and look like I'll stick around. None of that nonsense around here. Don't even waste your time in forums like that.

I don't understand when people say "you just don't get it". Are we all supposed to enjoy the same things in life?
:confused:

torn&frayed said:
Just the opposite for me. Most people are in awe when I tell them what my sport (hobby?) is.

My experience is similar to torn&frayed regarding DAY hiking. They admire the views and the wilderness experience that we hikers realize. They are also impressed that we have picked a hobby that gives one a great workout, plus is very results-driven (e.g., climb mighty summits, work on peakbag lists).

On the other hand, I get a mixed reaction from many folks when we discuss backpacking and sleeping in the woods.

Yeah, I agree that most people don't "get it" and it is a good thing as it does keep down on the traffic and overuse on the trails. But I can't help but wonder whether or not if more people did "get it" maybe there would be a greater willingness to conserve lands for activity such as hiking, etc.

As for defending hiking... just turn on the TV and you'll be bombarded by an onslought of SUV ads that use the "outdoorsman" image to sell these things. It seems to me like the majoriety of people wish they could go out and do what we do.

I get more of the "I can't believe you can go out and do those long hikes" atitudes than negative ones. The latter I just ignore - they arise from ignorance in the first place, don't they?

While I prefer to hike solo, I have, on the other hand, been frustrated by my inability to get my best friend to go with me. He acts as though what I do is as physically challenging as climbing K-2, and despite his being in decent shape wants no part of it. On the other hand, he's been trying to get me to go downhill skiing forever, but I want no part of that. I know many in this community love to ski, and maybe I'm close-minded, but I'd like to keep my knees going strong for as long as I can.

I have never had to defend hiking or climbing . Mostly I explain what ido and show photos . What i do find my self sometimes hearing is concern when I go solo . I assure them I carry a cell phone ( even if it will not work where I am yes I do carry one in case I need it or am running late and need to tell some one. I leave it off. And no I do not call and say hey i am on the summit. ) and I have been hikin for menay ears along with leaving my plans with a few people who i know will not call for a SAR If I am a few hours or aeven a day late . Depending on where I am going . and What I ask of them .
For Example when I Climb the Maroon Bells or Pryamid Peak I will a say I will call you at certain time and if I do not call you with in a few hours of that something has gone wrong .As I know I should be off of those p peaks and back in Snowmass by a certain time
If I am hiking the Franconia ridge I would say give me 24 hours before you call.