Here's one for'ya...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
So nicer, warmer weather is just around the corner. Not that I stop paddling in the winter but once spring, summer and fall roll around, I think it opens up more opportunities for everyone.

What are three of your paddling destinations, itineraries or trips that you definately want to get to in '08? Kayakers (AND CANOERS :cool: ) welcome!

Mine are
1) The rivers and streams of New Jersey's Pine Barrens...definately via canoe.
2) Exploring the entire Peconic Bay (especially Jessup Neck again)...via kayak.
3) Somewhere definately NORTH, woods, lakes, etc...canoe and/or kayak...undecided at this point...maybe somewhere like Lake Erie or the Saint Lawrence Seaway.

Some of our suggestions should include getting together.

Be well :D

I am doing a paddle down in Assateague in late April. Usual paddles involve the bay bays of southern NJ, the DE bay and some of the local NJ rivers. Also planning early Sept paddles in Maine; both ocean paddles around acadia and some lake/pnd paddling in western maine. We are going to throw in hiking some 4000 ftrs too.

No big plans, the only one I have now is to paddle out to the Norwalk Islands and work from there for a day :)

later in the year I'll be in the PNW so I'm sure my paddling plans will change there.

1) sunset paddle / striped bass fishing with Carmel right down the street from my house when I return from Hawaii

2) surf the waves on the sand bar about 1/4 mile offshore from my friend's beach in Westport, MA. Me surfing my 17'er is not pretty, but it sure is fun.

3) Carmel and I mountain biking in the morning, ocean kayaking in the mid day, then fire the grill on my deck, then surf casting at sunset. LIVIN'!

4) Multi-day on Maine Island Trail - no specific plans yet, but will do something.

4) join the big guy above on either 1, 2, or 3 from his list.

Just really looking forward to some simple stuff and a return to my normal paddling areas at home. It's the whole experience. Not just the paddle, but the suffies and a drink after it. Not just kayaking out of the mouth of Westport Harbor at sunset, but realizing that after over 30 years of being on the water there I have not tired of it. Not just kayaking to a quiet spot and fishing for schoolies with light gear, but truely realizing that I really don't care if I catch a fish.

Oh ya, and I am really hoping I can ship my OC-1 (one man outrigger canoe) home from Hawaii and then I will paddle Hawaiian style out of Westport Harbor. That would be cool.

- darren

C'mon Darrin, I said "3!"
Hey, nothin' wrong with livin' large, right? :D All that sounds cool. Any pics of that outrigger canoe?

Think I may have figured out that "north country" paddlin' I was talking about...a short section of the Raquette between Forked Lake and Long Lake village. I know it doesn't sound like a long trip but am planning on spending some time on the southern section of Long Lake with my family this summer and that section of the river might provide some areas to practice a little white water canoing in the Argosy. Anyone ever paddled the section of the Raquette between Forked and Long Lakes? Would like to hear your accounts. I know there are some necessary carries but wondering what the paddlable sections are like.

Last edited: