Hiking footwear recommendations for Kauai trip

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Hi all,

My wife and I are planning a second honeymoon to Kauai. Our activities will most certainly include some day hiking. :cool::D

Am kind of torn between bringing waterproof lightweight hiking boots, or opt for trail runners. We do expect to get caught in the rain, as our hikes will include some rain forest and swampy areas.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks and best regards,

Marty

If any of those day trips include hiking out on the Na Pali coast, it is generally sandy and dry because of the full sun exposure on some of the high cliffs, but there are side trips and it does get tree cover so I used my normal 3-season hiking boots when my sis and I backpacked to the beach at the end. Probably could get away with trail runners if you use gaitors because of the sands..

If I remember the parts around Waimea Canyon were a bit more normal as it is inland and more treed..

Jay

My wife & I went there on our first honeymoon and of the four islands, Kauaʻi was our favorite, including hiking along the Na Pali coast and down to the beach. There is excellent snorkeling right there as there is a natural (was?) lagoon. We wore Tevas but didn't hike for any extended distances.

Tim
p.s. Jealous!

My wife and I got married on Maui several years ago. We packed out three season boots to use for our hike into the Haleakala (sp?) crater and some other small hikes. There was lots of sand in the crater so I was glad to have them.

Marty I have the relatively new "Hiking in Hawaii" falcon guidebook if you want to borrow it. I'll leave it out if you want to spin through Danvers on your way home one night soon.

Kauai = mud, mud, and mud. But I do concur that the Na Pali Coast Kalalau Trail (entire length) was awesome.

We have worn all types of footwear, low-ride hikers, trail runners, and Teva's. All have been useful for varying reasons. Wear trail runners, carry Teva's. If you do the Kalalau Trail, it matters not what you wear, you will have that red mud seeping through whatever you wear, what is more important is that you have a change of shoes for your car rental.

While not a hiking guide essentially, this publication describes a lot of fine hikes and provides good directions for getting there:

http://www.wizardpub.com/kauai/kauai.html

We have used the series on every Island, every trip.

Heading to the Big Island late this summer for two weeks!

Thanks to everyone for the most helpful suggestions. I do have the Kauai Revealed book. Been studying it religiously. We've been jealous of others who have visited Hawaii in the past. Now it's our turn.:)

Roadtripper, we are not going until early next year. I like to plan ahead. :rolleyes: Will email you about grabbing that hiking guide close to when we go.

Fisher Cat, enjoy the trip to the Big Island.:cool:

Keep those suggestions coming folks!

Thanks again,
Marty

I spent about two months on Kauai working on a film back in the 80's. I had a pair of Bean Maine Hunting Boots shipped to me. They were perfect for the job. For hiking, you could wear sandals with an agressive sole or lightweight boots. In the mountains, expect rain and mud. Also expect to toss your socks before leaving for home. They will be permanently stained red if you are out in the backcountry at all.

Be careful, the trails can be dangerous and not well marked. There is a thread here about a wrongful death suit involving two women who fell off a trail a few years ago and were killed by the fall.

Last edited: