Hiking in Long Pants

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always zip-offs unless below zero is the forcasted high. From March to November, usually zipped off. Synthetics under only, alays when hiking.

More ticks in the yard or fishing.

I agree with Mike P. and Tom, I have had more ticks on me from non hiking related activities than on. And when I have gotten ticks on me while hiking it was while wearing shorts, but I was able to see and feel them long before they got to start burrowing. I assume even if you are wearing pants you glance down often enough to notice if something may be crawling on you.

Either way, I bought a couple pairs of Nylon zip-offs when I first started hiking like 4 or 5 years ago, and I still wear them. Occasionally in the summer I even go for (GASP!) plain old cotton shorts. I sweat way too much that synthetics, when damp from my sweat, feel annoying to me and uncomfortable.

Zip-offs= the best of both worlds.

Brian

I just got back from Chocorua and the Brook/Liberty loop and have decided to hike in pants. I'm originally from SoCal where we live in shorts - and I try to hike in shorts whenever possible, but this weekend was the last straw. I got chowed by mosquitoes down low and flies up top for the last time. I'm going with pants in the woods. I have a pair of North Face light pants - std light nylon - which I use as a light weight travel pant. Got them at TJ Maxx for $15 and they will be with me on the trail from now on.

I'm originally from SoCal where we live in shorts - and I try to hike in shorts whenever possible,

When I was in SoCal last summer, I thought I was the only one there in shorts..all the locals had on long pants and shirts to help beat the heat. I thought it was strange until I later realized how tapped out I got in the hot sun, especially not being used to it.

...from SoCal where we live in shorts

Yup, year round. :D

...all the locals had on long pants and shirts to help beat the heat. I thought it was strange until I later realized how tapped out I got in the hot sun, especially not being used to it.

It's more for protection from the intense sun. Personally, I go the SPF 40 route...

:cool:

Except for one memorable hike up Jefferson where I scorched my legs, I hike in long pants exclusively. I have a pair of zip-offs that do the trick nicely.

(With the combination of shorts and mid-calf socks, I had rally stripes on my legs for a few months after the Jefferson hike.)

I'm actually considering hiking in a kilt. Both cotton and synth undies have proven to be a killer lately. There nothing like finishing off a hike like you're straddling a wet twisted hammock for the last mile or two, not the mention the chafing. It was never a problem before, but the last 3-4 hikes have been unenjoyable at the finish.

I'm actually considering hiking in a kilt. Both cotton and synth undies have proven to be a killer lately. There nothing like finishing off a hike like you're straddling a wet twisted hammock for the last mile or two, not the mention the chafing. It was never a problem before, but the last 3-4 hikes have been unenjoyable at the finish.
You really need to check out a product called Body Glide. My gear list usually starts: Water, food, shoes, Body Glide...

After having worn pants for the last 3 summers in the woods (required as part of my work uniform) I have no problem with them, even in the summer. In the Adirondacks, it never really gets warm enough it seems that shorts are an absolute necessity. I also wear zip offs so that if I want to, I can relax in shorts in the afternoon.

Definitely pants are also nice for protecting your legs from everything that has been mentioned before in this thread.

I'd like to know why, though, zipoff hiking pants always create "short-shorts" when the pant legs are removed? I'm guessing the pants are designed with the zipper well above the knee, in order to keep it from rubbing against the skin.

I'd like to know why, though, zipoff hiking pants always create "short-shorts" when the pant legs are removed? I'm guessing the pants are designed with the zipper well above the knee, in order to keep it from rubbing against the skin.
I once bought a pair that had the zipper low enough that the zipper rubbed on my knees. They failed the living-room test and I returned them.

The inseam on one of my pairs is 7 inches. Not so short IMO, and the legs are long enough for large pockets.

IMO, the zip-offs are very practical for hiking--haven't used anything else for 3-season hiking since I got them.

Doug

I have Ex-Officio's and I'm 6' tall, and I do not see them as short-shorts. The pockets are big enough and deep enough for a 1 liter Nalgene bottle.

I wouldn't say that my zip-offs are short-shorts - I have an EMS house brand. I tried on lots of different kinds to make sure the zipper was comfy on my knees and these fit the bill.

I think I got the EMS Profile - 10" inseam (long, regular) -- it doesn't have the "model" printed in the pants anywhere.

Tim

The REI Sahara pants are definitely not "short shorts". The cargo pockets are on the shorts bit--maybe that's a difference? I'm 6'4" and the shorts come to the top of my knee. Haven't noticed a difference between the 32" inseam and the 34" inseam. These pants also have an inner flap covering the zipper, so it doesn't rub. It does make it a little trickier to put the legs back on, though.

The Boy Scouts make a nice pair of zip-offs also - very sturdy, and the shorts aren't too short.

If you watch that site, they often do two-for-one sales on those pants...

The BSA logo is only on the belt, so it's not obvious you're wearing uniform pants.

Forgo the underwear and wear some running shorts under your pants. They're designed for the comfort of your nethers while moving fast and are great for river crossings/spontaneous swimming excursions.

Bonus: you can save money and weight and just wear normal pants, not zip-offs. If you get too hot, just ditch the pants all together and hike in the running shorts.