Hiking in the rain?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klutz

Reaction score
We've been dying to get out for a hike, but due to personal commitments and now the weather are debating upon doing a hike tomorrow? Any comments, ideas about hiking in the rain??? Just curious......

Depends on the hike. Rain hikes are a nice time to go visit a lower pond or a long walk in the woods. Not fan of being stuck above treeline for hours in the rain, though

I'm not sure how relevant this is - because I don't know your experience level - but if you haven't been out and been caught in the rain unexpectedly, it's sometimes nice to go out and hike in the rain intentionally, to make you more comfortable with the idea. (I say this because your question implies you might not hike if it rains). Besides, there is a feeling, and smells and sounds, you can only get in a nice fall rain.

I rarely have second thoughts about hiking in the rain, but if I do I think of something shared by an AT thru hiker.
"If you are going to get to Maine, you've got to hike in the rain."
That really helps motivate me to rid my brain of any negative thoughts that may be surfacing.
In fact, I have had some of the best laughs ever when hiking with friends in torrential rain. It was so nuts, we just couldn't stop laughing. Soaked to the bone. :D :D :D
I think the woods are beautiful in the rain. Just be careful 'cause things can get a bit slippery.
My vote is "GO FOR IT!'

Just behave like anytime you try something new: start well below your comfort level.

That might mean hiking a woods road, an easy peak, or a shorter hike than usual.

Expect rocks and logs to be extra slippery, brooks to be running high and maybe get higher during the day, to get covered with mud, and to get wet from the side from branches.

The idea of hiking in the rain turns me off. I'd just as soon not spend all that time, effort and money to get wet and have no views when I could be at home cleaning out the garage or catching up on The Simpson episodes I may have missed.

OTOH, once I'm as soaked as I can get and as long as I'm warm I don't really mind it. And, the good news is that skin is waterproof and it breathes.

This trail seems to be flooded out:

IMG_0033.jpg

Oldsmores said:
Warm rain :p
Cold rain :(

I'll second that.

Warm rain
Hiked out from the Colden LT to the Loj via Avalanche Pass in Sept-07. (Can't remember the distance, but I think 5-6 miles?) Temps in the mid-50's and as long as we were moving, it wasn't that bad, though I do remember whining some at the time. When we stopped for a 5-10 minute food/water break at Marcy Dam, I did start to cramp up, however, but felt fine after a couple minutes back on the trail.

Cold rain
Mt. Colden in March-08, with the same two hiking partners. Forecast called for "wintery mix", but about 20 min. from the trailhead, it started to drizzle and stayed drizzling all the way to the LT on the back side of Colden. It just sucked.

We were cold, tired and cranky and decided to skip any peaks that day (Redfield, Gray and Skylight were all on the hit-list). Set up the tent, thinking it would be warmer than the LT, but ended up sleeping in the LT since it wasn't too cold by evening. Of course, temps plummeted overnight, the rain turned to snow, and the wet tent turned into Insta-Igloo(tm). Had to hold the joints of the frozen poles over the canister stove in order to collapse them.

We did summit Colden on the way out, fortunately, but cold rain ain't a lotta fun, IMO.

What they all said... long woods-walks in the rain can actually be pretty pleasant if you're dressed for it. Exposed, treeline, open-ledge walks with wind in the rain, not so much.

All the usual cautions apply. Much younger and dumber, I walked across the Great Gulf on a rainy June day... in jeans... by the time I got to where I was headed, I had a much finer appreciation for why babies cry when left in cold, wet diapers. I would have been much happier in shorts than sticky cotton pants that clung to my legs and made every step-over harder than it needed to be. Light fleece and a shell with good moisture-management (pit-zips, etc.) can go a long way toward making your day. Also, a baseball cap to "tent" the bill of your rain shell hood out can almost make it seem dry, right in front of your face at least.

In the end, as Neil suggests, you can only get so wet, then things sort of have a way of evening out, and you can enjoy the woods from a different perspective.

Klutz said:
We've been dying to get out for a hike, but due to personal commitments and now the weather are debating upon doing a hike tomorrow? Any comments, ideas about hiking in the rain??? Just curious......

How bad do you need or want the hike?

I'm not going to drive 5 hours if I expect nonstop rain. On the other hand if there is a chance of rain I go for it. Weather happens be prepared.

If I was local (a short drive) and hike frequently skipping a weekend is no big deal. I only get up north a few times a year so weekends are more precious.

It's hard to avoid not hiking in the rain. Rain is part of playing in the outdoors.

I'm going camping with the Scouts this weekend rain or no rain and I'm going to have some fun. :)

Last edited:
The only hikes I enjoy in the rain are waterfall hikes.

Neil said:
The idea of hiking in the rain turns me off. I'd just as soon not spend all that time, effort and money to get wet and have no views when I could be at home cleaning out the garage or catching up on The Simpson episodes I may have missed.

OTOH, once I'm as soaked as I can get and as long as I'm warm I don't really mind it. And, the good news is that skin is waterproof and it breathes.

This trail seems to be flooded out:

How did the gaitos hold up?

Last edited:
Its funny, I've seen all types of solutions to this 'problem', ranging from top of the line gear, to umbrellas, to garbage bags! :eek:

If you hike slower, you will avoid sweat from the inside. Slow and steady is good for slippery rocks and roots too.

I've yet to find a truly good solution to the sweat issue, but I've never tried a good softshell yet.

Unfortunately, just about nothing works in sustained, cold rain. It is the absolute worst weather condition (aside from tornadoes and dangerous lightning). Cold rain days are days to simply not go; stay inside. If you're stuck in it, if you can eat enough and stay warm by keeping moving, then do that and head for definitive shelter. If you can't do that, make camp and start the stove.

You should go for it!
I love hiking in the rain and have yet to have a really horrible time doing it, apart from feeling temporarily cold and clammy on occasion. I rarely bother with Goretex outside of winter - I sweat and end up just as wet as if I was not wearing it (and at least in the rain I smell better :p )

Yeah, I hear all of you, I appreciate the comments. I'm a fairly experienced hiker and have hiked in all sorts of weather. I guess my biggest concern is the "stream" crossings, as I have short legs and have not always been the best at any stream crossings, ask my husband he'll tell you...... :rolleyes:

No we've been trying to do Tom/Field for quite a few weekends, but something else keeps getting in the way, and we really need to get a hike in this weekend, as we are planning on doing the Flags on the 48 next weekend. Looks like we're just gonna go give it a shot.

DO IT!

This is an oportunity of a life time. You get to check your eqipment n skills n learn new tricks. Once you've hiked in the rain, everything else is easy.

BTW Leave a set of clothes in the car so once you get back you can completely change out of your totaly soaked ones. Then go have a brew n burger somewhere n laugh it off.

ALSO something I learned a few years back... Take a silNy tarp to get out of the rain once you stop for lunch or whatever. You'll find it a wonderful relief to get out of your rain wear n breath while watching it pour around you. The smells n sounds are something you can't describe, but have to experiance. Learning to use a tarp is one of the better skills to master. Setting up a tent in heavy rain is so much easier under a tarp than trying the inside out, upside down contoursions I've read about n tried over the years.

Another plus... you'll find out just how waterproof your boots n rain wear really is. You want to keep your feet as dry as possable for as long as you can, especailly if you are staying out a few days. Stream crossing are easier if you bring old sneakers or a pair of sandels so you don't get your boots full of water. Once wet they tend to cause blisters n feet problems and don't dry our for days n days. I ruined a pair of boots because they got soaken wet, the foam padding inside got funky n rotted in a matter of months despite my best efforts to dry em carefully.

Refine your equipment list, be ready to handel it next time with confidance.

This is called experiance....
enjoy!

Last edited: