hiking poles on flights?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
I did a quick search on the subject and found nothing. I can't believe it hasn't already been discussed but here's my question: do domestic air carriers have a problem with hiking poles? JetBlue in particular. Do you have to check them? If so, will they take them "naked," i.e., no case? Thanks in advance.

Recently returned from a climbing trip in CA - no problem with poles (or crampons or an ice axe for that matter!) as long as they were folded up, in a duffle bag and checked. Airlines may get a lot more nervous if you try to take them onboard, however - especially if you're sweating profusely and muttering to yourself...

Ditto to the above. Just make sure they're in checked baggage. You might get a blue TSA slip left inside the bag that they opened it, but no worries.

We also had no problems stowing them in a duffle bag. Ours didn't have rubber tips, so we fashioned a simple styrofoam protector for them to protect the bag from the bag throwers.

Packed in checked baggage has worked for me. Recently took mine on a trip to Arizona for a hike into the Grand Canyon. Had no problems whatsoever. I just collapsed them down and put them right in my suitcase.

I've had TENT poles in a carry on bag with no problems with Southwest. I've also had tent Stakes on a carry on bag on the same flight!

I have never tried to get hiking poles on carry on though.

Jay

I've never carried them on. I have always checked them. Usually I stick them in a big hockey bag. For the trip to Italy last year, I made a case for them out of PVC pipe with one glued on end cap and one screw on end cap.

If you want to carry them on instead of checking them, call the airline and ask.

- darren

On trips to Alaska and California, I had my poles in my checked bag. As long as they are in a durable item that can't be ripped or if they have the rubber tips, most airlines will have no problems if you have them in checked luggage.

Last edited:
I have checked on:

Crampons
Ice Axe
Trecking poles
Climbing gear

....and yes....(gulp) my MSR stove...not suggested or legal...... :rolleyes:

I have read that SPEARGUNS are allowed with scuba gear! :eek:

But remember, its not up to the individual Airline that will stop anything, it's the Port Authority that will have ultimate rule.
I saw my bag get xrayed right in front of me in Reno at the Port scan/check.
I would have had some explaining to do about the stove and was willing to loose it due to time contraints.

You can board a plane with crutches or a cane, so why should hiking poles be any different?

Last time, in my checked bagage, I had ice axe, pole, and crampons. When I arrived at my destination, there was a note in my bag. I'll paraphrase it here.

"Hi. We saw weird stuff in your pack, so we decided to open it to see what it was. If we broke your lock, well.... too bad. We're allowed to."

The language was a little less blunt, but the message was the same.

Jeff-B said:
....and yes....(gulp) my MSR stove...not suggested or legal......
As I understand it, the stove is legal according the the FAA and TSA if it contains no fuel. (Just checked their websites and could find no prohibition on stoves. Camping gear with fuel--prohibited.) However, airlines have been known to blanket confiscate stoves, fuel or no.

Doug

Checked

They'll be fine in checked bags.

One time, before 9/11, I had my crampons in my carry-on bag. I got a wierd look from the xray guy, and had to explain what they were. He seemed fine after that.

Since 9/11, I don't carry on anything sharper than a ball point pen.

DougPaul said:
As I understand it, the stove is legal according the the FAA and TSA if it contains no fuel. (Just checked their websites and could find no prohibition on stoves. Camping gear with fuel--prohibited.) However, airlines have been known to blanket confiscate stoves, fuel or no.

Doug

As I understand it, a stove was allowed if it has no "residue" according to what I read on my boarding ticket info.
Which means stove & bottle needs a seroius cleaning.
All I did was open and empty the fuel and let all components evaporate in the sun.
I think I was lucky in Reno, but if I left from Boston it might be different.

You will have no problems IF you check them, just make sure you pack them well (Darren has a great suggestion on how to do it). I have never broken one due to airline travel, but I did retrieve my gear on time with the points on my poles protruding thru my duffel :eek:

If you try to bring them as carry on, expect a slight delay... and after the cavity search, confiscation of your poles... :D

Well, it would depend on what type of aircraft your flying in. If your flying a Beech 1900 or Saab 340 (small airplanes) you may have to check them. If your flying a 737 or A320 then you'll have no problems. It has to do with the size of overhead bins. With JB you'll be fine even on the Embraer. On a few occasions if there is no room (ie: if you board last) you might be able to gate check it or on the rare occasion the FA might be able to put it in capts closet. You better hope he or she is a hiker ;)

dclynch said:
Hiking poles are specifically banned by the TSA. Prior to 9/11, I used to carry them on.

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=0900051980175b3a
http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=090005198005feca
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1012.xml
http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=090005198004a872
http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=0900051980003712

I don't see hiking poles on these lists. Perhaps I missed it, but the
The closest thing I see mentioned are these:

"Walking Canes - (allowed in carry-on baggage once they have been inspected to ensure that prohibited items are not concealed)"

Of course, they do have a 'catch-all' phrase that says," Any other equipment determined by the screener to be dangerous such as Ice Skates."

I also understand that the regulations are only as strict or as loose as the screener on duty inspecting your bags that day. We did take precautions, as suggested, and blunted the tips with styrofoam.

Where am I not looking? Thanks.

Dick