Hiking Snowshoes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
Okay, it is time to break down and buy myself some new snowshoes. My old wood and gut friends can not make it up the trails like these new light small cleated ones that I see everyone else wearing. I will keep using my old ones on the flat trails and general walks in the woods, but for trails...
What are the opinions out there? A friend mentioned that she liked her Atlas and they were quiet, and she thought that the Tubbs were noisy on the trail, something about the materials used? I must admit, I know nothing about the 'new' type of snowshoe, only that I may be needing them to break trail on my solo hikes, and I need the cleats or crampons on the bottom, and I would like them to be fairly light. Anyone out there a snowshoe expert? Any opinions are welcome. Thanks, Christine

Scroll down and you will find a couple of threads on this very subject. I've been using a pair of MSR Denali's and haven't had any problems although they are noisy on crusty or hard packed snow. It seemed that last year there wasn't a negative comment about the MSR shoes and this year several people have been experiencing some major problems. I will stick with the MSR's.

You might try renting them. Some outdoor stores like EMS, and most outfitters and ski rentals will have snowshoes to rent. That way you can try out a few different makes for a small fraction of the purchase price.

-Martin

Another vote for MSR Denali Ascents

If you try them on steep slopes or ice you will see why. :D

I tried my new Atlas 1230's last weekend-- I love the binding with grooved straps because they SO simple to adjust and release-- even with gloved hands. They did not get loose or require any adjustment for an 8 mile walk in Lincoln Woods.

I'm loving my Tubbs Elevation snowshoes. Very lightweight and the stainless steel crampons dig deep. No slipping up or down.

I've got old Sherpas, which I love, Tubbs, and MSR Denali Ascents, and I use them all under different conditions. For hiking in the Whites, I go for the MSRs first. These trails are generally broken out or at least have a base somewhere down beneath the snow, and MSRs work fine on that. There are also tails to extend them and pick up more float. They have an aggressive bite for incline and decline. They're streamlined as well. Granted, they don't look like granddad's snowshoes but I could care less about that if they get the job done. For more float on flatter real backcountry trails around here that don't see many hikers, I usually use the Tubbs if I'm the first one through.

The Denali Ascents are indeed very noisy on hard surfaces but they are light and have a very good traction. This is my second season with them and I have yet to put on my crampons.

My MSR Evo Ascents have been great all year. I'm a bigger guy and have taken them up some pretty steep trails. I need the tails when the trails aren't packed for sure. The crampon on them is super aggressive and because of that I don't have to switch over to full crampons nearly as often. I also like the size. On packed trails I can jog in them and they feel great, that is something I couldn't do with the 36" snowshoes.

The only thing I like better about the bigger 36" types is the way you can slide down the trail on the descents, and if there's a ton of fresh powder they'd be great too, but I haven't experienced that in the ADK's yet.

I was on the trip where the regular Denali Ascents were failing, and I was nervous the whole time about mine but they have held up beautifully. So far I've climbed 11 peaks with them.

-Shayne

Atlas 1030s

I snowshoed for the first time in my life this weekend and used rented Atlas 1030s from REI. While I was not scaling mountains I found them to be very secure and easy to use. I did not fall once in over 12 miles of varied terrain.

I would agree with others comments that the MSR types would likely be a better shoe for climbing mountains in the snow and ice. The crampons on the Atlas are OK, but I would not mess with above treeline ice with these alone. I looked at the MSR Lightning Ascents at REI and they apparently have a great deal of traction built into the frame and I would imagine these shoes would reduce the need for crampons in many situations.

By the way...at age 39 I am beginning to enjoy the winter for the first time since I was a kid...it was so nice to be out in the woods yesterday...very cool.

snowshoe rentals

Currently, I don't own a pair of snowshoes but if you like to splurge a little, stay at the Shapleigh Bunkhouse in Crawford Notch and you have access to free rentals of any equipment you can imagine, from snowshoes to socks to water bottles to tents, at the Higland Center next door. I have rented the snowshoes there (Tubbs or L.L. Bean) and they are very good, the crampons on the bottoms bite in well but you really have to yank the bindings to get em' nice and tight. However, if you are just starting, they are a good bet.

I don't see a lot of Sherpas out there, but that's what I use and I love them for two reasons: they are quieter than many other kinds (they have a softer decking material than Tubbs, etc.), and they seem fairly invincible after 5 years of hard hiking in the Whites, western Maine, and Adirondacks.

Here's one thing to be sure you DON'T get on your snowshoes: some of them have a portion of the deck with same softer material that Sherpas have, but WRAPPED AROUND THE ALUMINUM FRAME as part of the attachment to the frame. Do not get this kind, because the softer material wears away rather quickly when it is on the bottom of the frame scraping against ice, stumps, etc. I have a pair from LLBean that are like this, they've only been worn about 6 times, and the wrap-around part is already wearing through. Be sure the wrap-around part is made of hard decking material or is a durable lace such as on the Sherpa.

Also, you'll probably want a full hinge on the binding rather than just a strap. That makes it real easy to sit on a log or your pack with your feet sticking out to eat lunch - just flip the snowshoe 180 degrees around your foot and you can rest your heels on the ground. It also helps when you've fallen and you're flailing in the snow trying to arrange yourself in such a way that you can get up.

That said, keep your old wooden ones around for deeper snow if you aren't climbing. I use my parents' old shoes sometimes and they really don't sink nearly so deep into the snow as my aluminum shoes, even though I have a large sized aluminum shoe.

Another vote for MSR Denali Ascents

I go about 178 lbs. and have been using mine for about 4 years. I use 8" tails when I'm not on a trail where someone has been. Just after a big snow storm for say 3 or 4 days I'd use something with more float, after that the snow settles a little and no problem. I don't think you'll find anything in a snow shoe with better traction.

On very steep slopes you will love the rear bale that keeps your heel highed and swings the toe crampon down for still better traction.

I go 260 lbs naked and find that only solid shoes with a heavy duty deck do it for me. I had a pair of entry level shoes years ago and the decking gave out after one season so the extra money invested in a solid shoe like an Atlas with the one snap stap and spring loading or the Tubbs mountain series will be worth it. Personally I like the rotating pivot type toe cords over the spring loaded since it feels more natural in stride. In deep snow I have had no appreciable difference in flotation with 30" and 36" shoes so I have decided to go with the 30". I also have a pair of 25" shoes for hard packed flat terrain. My bottom line advice is that snowshoes are one of those items you dont skimp on cause without them, or if you by a cheap pair that break, even a short 1/4 mile in knee deep snow can be an adventure - let alone climbing a peak.

new shoes

After my rental experiment last weekend I went out and bought a pair of Tubbs Adventure 30s this weekend (on sale at EMS for about 30 % off regular.) I got to try them out today on a small mountain and I loved them. The crampons were great on the hard packed snow on the Mount Willard Trail. Flotaiton was not really an issue today. Sadly, it started to snow as soon as I hit the trail and there were no views beyond the trees twenty feet beyond the cliffs...Oh well, still pretty cool for my first White Mountain hike in the winter.