Hiking with dogs - Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone!

Just an update on the weekend. I decided on taking Sadie on a laid back hike to better assess her health/endurance, as was suggested.

I figured since I didn't know how she'd like the cold, I would camp at Blackberry Crossing. That way, if she got upset with the cold in the middle of the night, I could sleep in the car with her. She actually did fantastic. No one else was at the campsite, so I let her wander off-leash. I figured, a dog with separation anxiety, isn't going to go very far. I was right. She still was very independent, which I was happy to see, and the effects have carried over to the house. She's already more confident. I think going out in the woods is something she loves and needs.

Our hike was a lot simpler than I was originally hoping, but I'm a lot happier with the way things went. The first day, we went on a hike to Pitcher/Champney falls. I figured a 4 mile hike would be good for one day. I was right, seemed to be about as much as she wanted to do. The next day, we went to Sabaday falls. She went off-leash for Sabaday, as I saw no cars around and figured no one else would be around. I had the leash in hand in case anything came up.

Here are some pictures:

sadiesabaday2.jpg

sadiesabaday1.jpg

At night, she did get a little cold. Nothing opening my sleeping bag and putting over the both of us didn't fix though. She slept like a baby after that. I'm looking to put about 10-15 more pounds on her, since she's underweight. She put on 5 over the past 2 weeks. Shows what high quality food and exercise can do. I can't imagine the last home she was in fed her little more than table scraps.

The day we got back home, she was a little sore at night. A very slight limp in her front right paw. She didn't shy away from walking though and it was gone the next day. Probably a bit of weekend warrior syndrome. I checked her paws and saw no cuts or sores. Looks like I got a little bit of conditioning to work on with her.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I'm very happy with the way things went. I think Sadie's going to make a fantastic hiking partner. I'm really proud of how confident she's been getting and, as I said, being outside and hiking only seems to strengthen that.

Oh yeah, she's a little scared of bridges which I found to be funny. After a little encouragement and showing her that I could do it, she led the way back over them on the way home.

Great pics. Sounds like things are going real good. You'll find that as she does more hiking her pads will toughen up, maybe not so much in the winter though. When there is no snow be careful of the the rough type rocky areas. My dog hikes a lot and her pads are much larger (and tougher) than her offspring.

FWIW, here's a pitch for holding the nail clippers in check. Dogs (and other animals) have nails for a reason, and it has nothing to do with marking up your floors and doorway frames. It has everything to do with traction and tactile inputs about surfaces and slopes. Good strong nails are an important component of a dog's running gear.

I do not trim dog nails, period. Especially in winter on slippery slopes, it's important for the dog to be able to use its natural equipment. Of course, a dog that does not get outdoors frequently for substantial walks is probably going to grow nails that are too long. But if yours is an outdoor-enthusiast dog, and it's getting enough exercise, consider leaving the nails alone. When the nails get "too long," they will naturally shorten without your intervention.

If you want to see the natural length on nails, look at the feet on stuffed examples of wild wolves, coyotes, and foxes in museums.

Last edited:
Sounds like you and your dog are in for some great times. And I'd second the advice re: the nails - if she's getting out hiking/walking with you regularly, they'll take care of themselves, especially given her size.

Re: the bridge - not unusual in a dog, or other animals for that matter. My dog, a big Newf, never quite got used to crossing the long suspension bridge at Lincoln Woods, even though he'd been over it dozens of times.

Bridges

Emma hates bridges, too. She gets down and slinks like a cat until she's across. Some would say, and I wouldn't argue, that she is a cat. Fussy eater, the whole bit. Tough as nails, though.

KDT

I LOVE those pics.
Use extra caution if Sadie is going to be off leash in the winter in the event that she wanders onto what appears to be a frozen body of water which might appear safe but isn't.
I had to haul my first Akita out and accomplished that with sheer adrenalin.
We had a man in town here drown trying to save his black lab.
My Old English Sheepdog fell through the ice along with two other dogs while she was being cared for by a friend.
The vet told her she was very lucky they didn't all drown including her!
I also like to keep them far and away from any rapid white water areas also.
Dogs are funny. They can be fine and stay away from certain dangerous places and then one day, bingo, they decide it's the new place to check out and get themselves (and you) into a pile of trouble. I think a good recall is one of the most important commands a dog can learn and they should know to respond each and every time. No exceptions.
She is a beautiful dog and you are doing an incredible job caring for her.
Happy hiking to both of you!

How to know if the dog's feet are cold: they will try to pick their feet up and it will look strange as they do; they are trying to remove their feet from the cold ground. They may or may not wimper/whine while trying to keep their feet off the ground. Remember that pavement can be as cold as ice. I'll never forget carrying my 100lb German Shepard for a mile. The things we do for love :rolleyes:

What a cutie!

Great pictures!

Lots of great advice here!

I'm not sure how closely related Saints are to Bernese Mountain Dogs, but our friends have two Berner's -- they are really active in showing, carting, herding, obedience-- you name it, they are very involved and the dogs are a huge part of thier lives. One thing that surprised me when they visited us recently, is how limited the endurance of these giant breeds is. One mile or two of a walk is all they required, and wanted, and were built for. So, my only advice would be to really learn the intended purpose and what your breed was designed for, and not push beyond those limits.

Happy trails!

:)