Honesty of a Winter Forty Sixer

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heart warming story, but I'm missing the link to her being a Winter 46er. What's the tie-in?

Kevin Rooney said:
Heart warming story, but I'm missing the link to her being a Winter 46er. What's the tie-in?

It's just simply like it is, showing the "Honesty of a Fellow Climber and Forty Sixer."

Several people have wondered if she was the same Linda we all know and love and by mentioning she is a Winter Forty Sixer, it properly recognizes her.

She was formerly for many years, "Linda LaMarche," as many might know her by as well.

Thanks for explaining that Skyclimber.

I never got the number thing, though. I'm a 46'er (summer only - have about 10 winter peaks but decided it was too far to dayhike when the Whites/Greens were so much closer) but I'd be hardpressed to remember within 3,000 what my number is.

Care to comment one why the number is often cited?

Kevin Rooney said:

I never got the number thing, though. I'm a 46'er (summer only - have about 10 winter peaks but decided it was too far to dayhike when the Whites/Greens were so much closer) but I'd be hardpressed to remember within 3,000 what my number is.

I don't know the exact answer to this question. In my opinion only, "your climbing number is part of Being a Forty Sixer." Your climbing number is given in order upon finishing the Forty Six and is your membership number in the Club. When one climbs them all in Winter, an automatic W follows your climbing number.

It's just natural to refer to a climber within the Club, their name, followed by their climbing number. (if known) More of a distinction of one member to the next. With being a Correspondent, the ending of our letters, always displays our climbing number, after our name.

Kevin Rooney said:

Hey Kevin! Just remember you are 40 feet lower than Haystack :D

#4920 Kevin Rooney Marcy 5/11/96 Esther 0/17/01

Phil -

That's a good way to remember it, thanks!

Have good memories of that peak. Last time I was on it was in winter (March, 2002) with a friend who was finishing her W46'ers and W115's. She had timed it coincide with the completion of both lists, and we did Basin and Haystack. The snow was deep around Shorey Shortcut and made for tough trailbreaking. As we were running a bit behind we decided to cut the corner and take a 'shortcut' over a ridge to intersect the trail to Basin, and remember the snow being up to my chest at one point. And it was so glazed coming down Basin that we used a rope to ease our way down.

It was a long day, but a good one.

Kevin