I succumbed to the hype and bought some Vibram FiveFingers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The lawsuit cites the American Podiatric Medical Association’s position on barefoot running, which says “research has not yet adequately shed light on the immediate and long-term effects of this practice.

I think they really don't like the idea that the orthotics industry could be rendered a thing of the pass if this turns out to be true. I know of several podiatrist who do not recommend orthotics across the board like they have for many years. I think the Tarahumara are pretty good examples of the immediate and long-term effects of barefoot running, or in our case as close to it as we can get.

I have horrible feet and have been working on developing a minimalist approach. Have worn orthotics for years and am weaning them off. In fact for the most part I really don't want to wear them. I never thought I would see this day, and I have to wait and see how things go, but thus far I am liking the results. Time will tell if I need them for longer distance hikes but for shorter ones, I do not.

I think the APMA is going to fight this tooth and nail. One of their dear members charged my friend well over $1000 for rigid orthotics that she could never wear. This back and forth office routine lasted for close to one year and each visit cost $110 not including cost of orthotics. The NEVER worked! The orthotics I got from him started giving me trouble 9 mo later.

I am interested to see how this all works out in the end. It appears that there are quite a few folks involved with the barefoot/ minimalist approach, as well as some podiatrists who have open minds about it. That can only help the cause!!! :D

This is a good vid on feet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLLjwAZVkrY

Last edited:
As far as I know, that Tarahumara have no interest in barefoot running or VFF's. They wear huaraches made form old tires, which are certainly thin, but they do not race barefoot for the most part.

I would never consider VFF's for trail running in the Northeast ( or walking, for that matter) - Inov8's lineup is plenty thin enough for the rocks.

Amazing amount of hype and marketing in the running world of late. The "Chi Running" and "Pose Running" devotees are really something else.

I'm surprised nobody here has yet mentioned the class-action lawsuit against Vibram, "accusing the company of falsely advertising the health benefits the shoes provide."
I didn't get them for the health benefits, but my arthritic knees are better for wearing them. They encourage a forefoot strike and smaller steps, both of which reduce impact. I find if I concentrate on taking VFF-sized steps while hiking in other shoes also helps with not experiencing knee pain. It's as much about the gait I learned from wearing them as it is about the shoes.

Portions of that film are obviously staged for dramatic purposes, and it's no accident that the people in the film are at the forefront of the Barefoot Hype Industry. Here's an interesting quote from Davis:

She advised runners to don minimalist shoes in inclement weather, in the dark and on rough trails, but said that making that change to barefoot running over time can lead to fewer running injuries

Barefoot running is fun and feels kind of neat - on the right kind of surfaces. The trails of the Northeast are not one of those surfaces. There's a lot of things that I might leave behind when I go for a long run in the mountains, but a pair of footwear that provides adequate protection isn't one of them.

I am with Go-Lite on this one, who has done their own exhaustive, highly science based research. Not many treadmills in the wild.

Last edited:
It is my understanding that the traditional Tarahumara running sandal is a single layer leather sole held on by a leather cord.
Some refs:
http://news.discovery.com/tech/running-barefoot-better-than-running-with-shoes.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv4Se5ka9Pk&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1_skEGdk_I&NR=1&feature=fvwp

There seem to be quite a few youtube features on them--one can at least see the construction and lacing from the pictures.

As for whether running in such minimalist (near barefoot) shoes reduces problems or not, I suspect that it varies with the individual. Different people have different problems with their feet and legs and that which helps some may hurt others.

FWIW, humans evolved without access to fancy shoes. However, there is nothing in the fossil record that says that none of them suffered from foot and leg problems...

Doug

Barefoot hype or not...I am close to being rid of my orthotics, and was very happy to read Dugan's post about how the arthritic knee improved. Mine has been doing well of late. Sure hope it keeps trending in this direction.
Would just love to hike with relatively comfortable feet.
Read Born to Run x2 last summer. Loved it.

Last edited:
As for whether running in such minimalist (near barefoot) shoes reduces problems or not, I suspect that it varies with the individual. Different people have different problems with their feet and legs and that which helps some may hurt others.

Absolutely. Use what works for you and know that we have a variety of shoes because no one shoe works for all feet, or even for one person's feet in all situations.

Barefoot running is fun and feels kind of neat - on the right kind of surfaces. The trails of the Northeast are not one of those surfaces. There's a lot of things that I might leave behind when I go for a long run in the mountains, but a pair of footwear that provides adequate protection isn't one of them.

I disagree. Terrain is varied enough throughout New England - from sandy beaches to rocky spires - that I wouldn't make a sweeping generalization that any one kind of shoe is inadequate for the entire region - except maybe high heels! I wouldn't wear VFF's for a Presi Traverse, but they're just fine for an 8 mile run in Bearsden.

Terrain is varied enough throughout New England - from sandy beaches to rocky spires - that I wouldn't make a sweeping generalization that any one kind of shoe is inadequate for the entire region - except maybe high heels!

You are quite right - I was thinking more of rough mountainous trails, but should have been more specific. There are plenty of other places where the VFF's would be adequate. And who says high heels don't belong on the beach? ;)

Maybe I missed it, but there is one question I have that I haven't seen addressed. Isn't there a risk of stubbing your toes with those things? If you ever saw the toes of my hiking shoes you would know why I ask. :eek:
There is, but given that it hurts because your feet are less protected, you quickly become conscious of making better foot placements.

I whacked the heck out of one toe while wearing the KSO's, hard enough that it might've been broken. However, it was after dark in a place I know well enough that I don't bother with a headlamp. Then again, it's possible to get injured while wearing boots, too. One of the worst hiking accidents (fractured ankle, ruptured ligament) I've had was while wearing boots.

It is my understanding that the traditional Tarahumara running sandal is a single layer leather sole held on by a leather cord.
Some refs:
http://news.discovery.com/tech/running-barefoot-better-than-running-with-shoes.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv4Se5ka9Pk&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1_skEGdk_I&NR=1&feature=fvwp

There seem to be quite a few youtube features on them--one can at least see the construction and lacing from the pictures.

FWIW, humans evolved without access to fancy shoes. However, there is nothing in the fossil record that says that none of them suffered from foot and leg problems...

Doug

If anyone is interested in picking up a pair of those running sandals, here's a link:https://www.lunasandals.com/products/3-leadville

As I posted above, I've been loving my Trek LS toe shoes for local dayhiking over flatlands and moderate hills. This past weekend I went for a longer dayhike in Harriman, about 7.5 miles round trip, pretty rocky in areas (Rt. 6 / LP trailhead to Popolopen Torne and back), with a light day pack. The shoes performed well, but I'd say it was about the limit for them... any longer or a heavier pack on that kind of terrain and they wouldn't be enough. My calf muscles are still feeling it 3 days later.

I had a pair of KSO's a few years back -- basically no protection underneath at all and I found them perfectly fine for hiking and I liked them quite a bit. However, I did not like them for running the rocky trails in New England... I find that I must pound harder on my feet because it was annoying and became painful, especially running fast on the downhills which was nearly impossible for me with the KSO's. Some of the newer Five Fingers have more protection underneath and are more like a shoe but I can't stand the fabric between the toes so I no longer wear any of my Five Finger products anymore.

I've really liked my Inov-8's for anything trail over the past few years. I've worn my X-Talon 212's on just about everything from hikes to x-country 5k's to trail 50k's and they're amazing. Minimal, 6mm heel-toe drop, great traction (after a very long breakin), close to the ground (important to me) and surprisingly great protection underneath. My biggest gripe was that they took a long time to break-in the sticky rubber underneath to the point that I thought they'd never be a good shoe. But, eventually the rubber got scuffed up enough and they now have fabulous traction much like the Inov-8 Roclite 295's. The 295's are also a great shoe, but more shoe, more protection and stickier bottom. I use them more for backpacking and winter now although I'll probably get a new pair this summer. I'm a huge fan of the Inov-8 trail shoes.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited: