I wonder if DOGS enjoy hiking and peakbagging?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your guide should be what kind of dog you can live with at home, which is, unfortunately, where most of us spend more time than hiking. For instance, I'd love a Border Collie for hiking, I'd hate to live with one. Most dogs can become a hiker-dog. Take into consideration the type of hiking you like to do - a furry dog would be better for winter hiking, a more athletic dog for bigger miles, and so on.

The key to helping a dog to enjoy hiking is to start small, make it fun, and very gradually work up to bigger more difficult hikes, according to the dog's ability. Dugan four-legs says that a burger on the way home doesn't hurt either!

Dugan said:
Dugan four-legs says that a burger on the way home doesn't hurt either!

Too funny.... Mcdonalds has been a regular stop on my way home for years, and I am a vegetarian! Chica enjoys the double cheeseburger, hold the veggies.

I saw a pic on the link bobandgeri posted of the dogs drinking from a water bottle. Any thoughts out there on training a dog to do this? Mine just wont. I have to stop and pour water for her in her bowl....it getting to be a pain.

We trained ours to pick her own blueberries (we couldn't pick them fast enough). :)

keepin' on said:
I saw a pic on the link bobandgeri posted of the dogs drinking from a water bottle. Any thoughts out there on training a dog to do this? Mine just wont. I have to stop and pour water for her in her bowl....it getting to be a pain.

My Golden will drink out of a water bottle, never trained him to do it he just did it. He likes drinking out of the hose too. My guess is if they are thirsty they will drink out of it.

I carry an "Outward Hound" water/food dish for him too. I'd say he's pretty spoiled.

-Shayne

My dog loves to hike, but she has gotten too old to hit the trail. She is a wheaten terrier who is a great hiking companion. I miss taking her on the trail.

She doesn't like to drink out of a bottle either. But I discovered that one of those sandwich size plastic bags works perfectly for her. Just fill it half way with water, hold it in my palm and she is good to go. They are also useful in cleaning up after her, so I always have a few in my pocket.

Adk_dib said:
I bet there are lots of dogs in the pound who would love to hike with anyone.
give one a try. I don't think a large breed like st. bernard would do good, but everyone is correct, labs and goldens are golden.

Nothing better than a "Pound Puppy" That's all I'll have. My best dog cost me $3.00 at the pound.

I'll third the pound dog vote. My "hybrid" pound pup is terrific on the trail and extremely enthusiastic. When he was younger we had to put him outside while getting our pack together because he would tear through the house when he knew what was going on. He's still enthusiastic but a little more sedate now. He's climbed 38 of the 46 ADK high peaks, not that he's counting.

As he's gotten older I've started reward him with Zuke's power bones on the trail-
Zuke's. I don't know if it's the power bones or not but he's still going strong at 12.

Genie expresses her anticipation by grabbing her collar and leash and dragging them around the house as soon as she sees our packs come out of the basement.

Be forewarned, Labs shed shed shed all year long! Keep pet hair pickup rollers or masking tape in every room and in the car!

Proud Pup, Max On Phelps Mt. in my Avatar

I've always had labs; they are easy to train , love the outdoors, are great swimmers, and are all around great family dogs. I've also seem lab mixes adpoted from the pound that have the exact same characteristics.

As for the hair, even with shorter hair than Golden Retrievers, they do shed, but we find if we actually brush him a few times a week, it's not as bad. We like the yellow because it blends in nice with our khaki area rugs. I, too, hate the dog hair on stuff, but I wouldn't trade him for anything.

Our dog has hiked many of the ADK 46 and as soon as we start pulling the gear out to pack for a hike he gets excited and heads to the door. He also loves the attention he gets by the passerbys on the trail and he seems just as proud as we are when he hits the summit.

hiker dogs

Most dogs love hiking; and I second the idea of finding one at the dog shelter. That's where we got our dog and he's been a great hiker/climber. (I remember him repeatedly looking down at me as I climbed the slide on the Lake Arnold side of Colden. That's a really steep slide in places but he just cruised up it and always had a smile on his face.

I have an Airedale Terrier. She loves being out with us, and she doesn't shed.

Trail dogs

One of my favorite topics!
I highly recommend this book on breed selection:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...oginc-20/104-4873530-0681560?v=glance&s=books

I backpacked for many years with my lab, Charlie Brown (rest in peace, sweet boy).

On labs;
Pros:
Happy go lucky attitude.
Strong, generally athletic but not necessarily built for agility and the tough climbing on many trails. Bred to be an upland field dog who can cover many miles on rolling terrain.

Cons:
Very heavy to lift over boulders and tough scrambles.
Large breed with all the large breed problems, arthritis in hips and elbows, thyroid issues, cardiac issues, cancer, the bigger they are, the shorter the lifespan in general.
Finding a reputable breeder and untainted bloodlines at this point is going to be a challenge.

This one is not intended to prickle any feathers:

Labs are not space oriented dogs, they are in your face, leaning on you, in your lap dogs. While this is enjoyable for the owner, bear in mind that other hikers are not necessarily going to enjoy your big lug of a lab all over them, running up to greet them and slamming thier muddy trail paws into them, etc. But this can be dealt with in training.

I currently own and hike with an Australian Shepherd. A great trail dog for me, but this breed takes training, training, training and work. I'm into other dogsports and dog training so she's perfect for me.

I personally think a medium sized dog is a better choice as a traildog; lighter frames are more agile and easier to handle. A really nice agile, social dog is the Portuguese water dog. Standard poodles are also excellent dogs, smart, social, extremely athletic.

Happy trail dog finding.
Sabrina
(sometimes called the leash Nazi on other boards, I'm a staunch on leash backpacker with just as much dog trekking gear as backpacking gear!)

Climbing Mt Pemmigewasset Friday we saw three greyhounds out with their masters. They seemed to be the "leaders" rather than followers :D . Many may call em ugly, but I find something graceful about greyhounds. Plus Im told they are very people friendly. As a side note we saw two other breeds on that trail as well. A real small collie and a chow (I believe that was its breed.)
Brian

I'll have to pipe in for a friend of mine who has probably the ultimate backpacking dog: The Karelian Bear Dog. Bred on the Finnish-Russian border to keep farms secure from hungry bears, these little dynamos can hike, and then hike some more, and then will keep your food safer than a steel drum locked inside an armored car. Great hikers, used out west for SAR, and as friendly as can be. They can be a little spunky, but I love hiking with them, and love backpacking with them even more!

Tough? Here's a shot of Tasha the Bear Dog from Santanoni in a biting ice storm from New Years Day a couple years ago...

And another vote for Golden's. My Golden loved to smell the trail and by watching her we made a good team. Her nose and my eyes, we didn't miss much. It does take a lot of extra planning for them. Yes the food and water are critical, but I would also check out trails before hand. Places like Adams I would never bring a dog. The schist is just abrasive and it is everywhere. I also had made and a special sling that I use to haul wood into the house on. It had a couple leather handles I could slip over my neck and the sling part would cradle and support her entire body if something happened and I had to carry her off a trail. Most dogs seem to be willing to follow their master's anywhere and don't complain so we must be extra vigilant for their sake. As far as shedding goes most dogs shed. Many folks think Labs and other short hairs, because they have short coats don't shed much. I know of many friends who have Labs and they seem to shed 12 months a year and the short hairs get stucks everywhere. My Golden shedded twice a year, around June and December for about a month each. A pain for sure but a few sheets in the car and on furniture and a trip through the house everyday with the vacuum took care of it. Small price to pay for all that was received in return.