Irene Storm Track

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing it is a legal definition. In other words, we warned you to stay out. If you go, and get hurt, it's YOUR OWN FAULT!

I was thinking the same thing. Will all the lawsuits they need to take measures to protect themselves.

ok I'm not hiking on Sat after all

I'm guessing it is a legal definition. In other words, we warned you to stay out. If you go, and get hurt, it's YOUR OWN FAULT!

MWO still says that Saturday in Whites looks ok, but I will err on side of caution, mainly to avoid driving from Wildcats to Cambridge MA in the rain late Sat afternoon.

I was really psyched up to do the 'Cats and thus finally end my second round of the 48. Oh well, will try on Labor Day weekend.

Arggh, but that's life!

I would not want to be a thru-hiker this weekend

No, nor would I want to be a thru-hiker after this weekend having to negotiate the mess this looks likely to make in the Carters & Mahoosucs.

Here's hoping it goes on the easy side ...

Cut short our annual pilgrimage to Ogunquit, Maine. Ride back today was interesting ... drove through several areas of downpours on I-90 coming through Massachusetts. What a monstrous storm! The eye of this thing was still in Virginia and we were getting nailed in Massachusetts.

In hiking terms, I keep thinking of this thing and its impact on the Adirondacks in comparison to Floyd. All that hard work of creating "improved wilderness paths" on many of the 46R peaks could be wiped away ...

Still pretty dry here in the berkshires... I was in VT today hiking and got back and hit up a state park and just a few drops on the way... Might go do laundry tomorrow if the laundrymat is open...

Jay

I think it's cool how the winds are blowing from the southeast rather than the normal west southwest direction. Cool indication of the counterclockwise rotation of the low.

Winds are picking up here on Long Island. Beer number 6? :D

I think it's cool how the winds are blowing from the southeast rather than the normal west southwest direction. Cool indication of the counterclockwise rotation of the low.
If you are close to the path of a hurricane moving northward, the wind starts in the east, swings around to the south if you are east of the eye (north if you are west of the eye), and finally to the west. (The above is all for the northern hemisphere.)

A sailor's rule of thumb:
* northern hemisphere: when the wind in in your face, the eye is off to your right
* southern hemisphere: when the wind in in your face, the eye is off to your left

By watching the change in wind direction, you can determine which side the eye will pass.

The above is all because hurricanes rotate CCW in the northern hemisphere and CW in the southern.

.64 inches of rain here so far. Wind 5mph from the east.

Doug

Last edited:
While it may seem obvious, it's worth pointing out that for a north-moving hurricane, that counterclockwise rotation means the storm surge on the east side of the eye is going to be the worst, as that's the side pushing the ocean water forward with both the rotating winds and the movement of the cyclone itself.

At least on the mainland here in Cape May County NJ, the storm was not bad. We had steady rain and wind all day long until about 10 or 11. Then it became quite calm; still some rain and wind though it was light. Never did get the big hit at 2am that the forecasters were calling for. It was more like a nor'easter than a hurricaine and not as bad as the blizzard we had several years ago. I never lost power or cable. Now the barrier islands got hit pretty good and there was some flooding on the mainland but thats to be expected with all the rain. The Cape May County website indicated 95% of the county evacuated and 12,000 people had no power. trying to figure out who was calling about power outages when there was no one left. My neighbors and I made out just fine. I saw him leaving for work about 30 minutes ago. Unfortunately for him, he works maintenance on one of the islands. Now there are just some gusts of wind. Rain has stopped. I put my AC unit back in the window so its starting to cool off and become less humid on the house. I was able to leave a window and the front door open throughout the storm. Hope everyone else is as lucky as me.

I'm surprissed we haven't lost power, many around here have. Eye is crossing the Whitestone Bridge, past Laguardia Airport and heading up 684. Catskills, Daks and VT look like they'll get more wind and rain than NH. It'll be interesting to see how that mud/hillslide neighborhood in the Daks makes it through this.

Raining all night. Reports of as much as 6"+ of rain around Greene county in northern Catskills with rain forecast for the morning and beyond.
Light wind in Albany area a couple of hours ago, but wind is picking up.
Hope eveyone is OK.

Winds here are 25 with a gust of 40 reported. They're still out of the east; as the storm gets closer they'll move across to be out of the south. Plenty of rain coming down, too. Looks like between 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" so far.

Power has been reliable, fingers remain crossed for all the neighborhood trees.

From the National Hurricane Canter: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
WTNT64 KNHC 281302
TCUAT4

TROPICAL STORM IRENE TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL092011
900 AM EDT SUN AUG 28 2011

...CENTER OF IRENE MOVES OVER NEW YORK CITY...

REPORTS FROM AN AIR FORCE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT AND NATIONAL
WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATE THAT THE CENTER OF IRENE
MOVED OVER NEW YORK CITY AROUND 900 AM EDT...1300 UTC. IRENE HAS
WEAKENED TO A TROPICAL STORM AND THE ESTIMATED INTENSITY AT
LANDFALL WAS 65 MPH...100 KM/H.

SUMMARY OF 900 AM EDT...1300 UTC...INFORMATION
--------------------------------------------------
LOCATION...40.7N 74.0W
ABOUT 0 MI...0 KM N OF NEW YORK CITY
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...65 MPH...100 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 20 DEGREES AT 26 MPH...43 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...965 MB...28.50 INCHES

$$
FORECASTER PASCH
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCUAT4+shtml/281302.shtml

Here:
Winds E 33 mph, gusts 47 mph. 1.33 (total) inches of rain as of 9:50am. Power is on (however my UPS has registered some deviations from normal). Not bad so far... (Peak is forecast for 2-5 pm.)

Doug